Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Some "Music Man" History From George Fullerton.

Quote Originally Posted by tkarter
    If Mark means have another beer and sit back and listen then I got that covered.
    Spot on with the translation. This thread is a great read!
    Cheers
    Mark

2009 black/tort Big Al 4 SSS

My bands -
    Richard Madden band
    The Australian Rolling Stones Show
    The Volts
    Doors Alive

awaiting the next chapter.......
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

Blog Entries
    Its a blur but I think it was late 82

No, I was not referring to "the Paul" model - as that would have been a solid wood plank body and what I remember was a solid colored LP with raised fingerboard, fancy trim around the outside of the body, fancy gold hardware, maybe even inlaid pearl fret markers. The "Paul" model doesn't have the raised fingerboard... Doesn't really matter - he could have had both, and both would have had a different (more solid) sound. I took a bunch of color pictures of his lab years ago. Wonder where those ended up. I have a cool shot of Leo I printed with his visor on, holding the long phillips screwdriver...

You are right you said, 2500 was the count earlier... That is a hell of a lot of necks to make before you know a problem exists. Too bad we'll probably never know why this happened. Personally I find it hard to believe that Leo's crew would continue to make knowingly inferior product. I also don't believe Leo would trash his own operation by intentionally shipping something crap to MM. Now I could believe that he may have gotten a new QC guy at the same time a new neck router was implemented and it was set up wrong and he didn't catch it. But that is just conjecture. At that time he was getting new machinery and constantly tweaking designs. What was his daily output? What happened to those 2500 necks? Did they ship? I would think MM shipped less than 100 units per day. I think Tom was reclusive simultaneous with this - something else was going on. I think someone in MM or a dealer found this and it took several days to escalate it - partially maybe because of his reclusiveness or other focus - by that time they were screwed. Other things had to be going wrong between Tom and Leo as if truly it was a CLF screwup he'd try and make things right. Both men were stubborn as hell though - each been through a lot of their share of business rankness. In fact, I could believe Leo would tweak the neck router, be focusing his attention on a specific problem, but at the same time not realize he messed up the whole thing by fixing his problem - and then be stubborn that he is right. And then be surrounded by "weaker beings" (otherwise known as kiss-asses) that would not disagree with him. Possible.
    To my recollection, Leo got involved in all areas of the guitar making process - he designed the pickup winders from scratch (and probably has several patents on them). I remember him pointing out the rubber band drive system to vary the wind tension as the pickup rotated. He experimented with wire sizes and insulation and magnetics. He dealt with the hassles of sourcing the wood - making sure it was stored and aged correctly. He experimented with different finish materials... With today's computers, he'd probably be spending his nights dabbling with Solidworks modeling neck designs. He'd buy CNC machines to make the bodies from his continuous re-designs. His pickup winders would be stepper-motor controlled. Spray finishes done by robots. Wood cured in environmentally controlled chambers with datalogging. The big question is - would he have sent all manufacturing off to Asia?

Blog Entries
    barry

where theres smoke there fire....trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa
    Leo didn't have a Les Paul, He had a "The Paul" which was a walnut neck and bodied variation of the les Paul but thinner and had different contours. I have that guitar also.
    It sounds nothing like a mahoghany body/maple top standard LP.
    "The Paul" is a great guitar.I've been around this one for the better part of 20 years.........
    2001 SR5 Black/Black/Maple
    2004 SR4 Honeyburst/ Black/Maple
    2006 SR4HH Natural/Black/Rosewood
    2005 Bongo4 HS Stealth w/ White Body

WELCOME FOOLISH MORTALS.......
    CLICK HERE FOR MUSIC
    MORE MUSIC

Fascinating stuff and it would certainly make for a great read. A 'desk' book of MM history, hmm.. could title it "Keep the Ball Rolling", "Balls to the Wall" or something equally clever. Anyone else care to chime in with a potential title?
    Janice

Great Balls are hard to beat?
    Sting Ray, On order, Natural
    Bongo HH BLK WPG 2004, Super Slinky Strings
    Bongo H Lava Pearl BPG (due the 20th)
    SVT CL, SVT 410 HLF

"You gotta have Balls", "Our Balls are the Best!", "Ernie Ball a company second to none"

Glenn |B)
    1. Silhouette Special in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    2. Silhouette Special in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/02] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    3. Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/01]
    4. Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/11] BFR

Or to quote team america 'You've Got Balls - I like Balls' that would be a great title
    Vote for Barrel of Monkeys on the Triple J unearthed website
    http://www.triplejunearthed.com/barrelofmonkeys
    - EBMM Sterling w/ wood finish, Rose Neck, Black Pick Guard
    - Eden WT 330
    - Hartke 3500A
    - Hartke VX410

Man made god in his own image

"MusicMan - a company with BALLS!"

- Tim

Team Balls, PlucK em.
    Sting Ray, On order, Natural
    Bongo HH BLK WPG 2004, Super Slinky Strings