Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Some "Music Man" History From George Fullerton.

I'm not BrockLee but I can help. The change from epoxy to non-epoxy took place over the period from c. late 1978 to early 1979. My all original 1979 String Ray has the black epoxy preamp.
    Gav.
    www.musicmanbass.org
    MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Trussbroken View Post
    I'm not BrockLee but I can help. The change from epoxy to non-epoxy took place over the period from c. late 1978 to early 1979. My all original 1979 String Ray has the black epoxy preamp.

Thank you. The information out there suggests that it was discontinued for the 79 model year. He says that when he looked up the serial number it indicated it was a 78 and that's what he sold it as. He also says he bought it in 78 and changed the pick up the following year. What caused the questioning was the Bridge has the Music man on the bridge in one of the pictures.

Black epoxy was deleted from the Sting Ray and Sabre pre-amps at the beginning of 1979.

From SERIALS Pre-EB - Musicmanbass.org, Music Man, Musicman, Music Man Bass, Musicman Bass, Music Man Guitar

There are a few other places where they make it pretty clear that 1979 basses had non epoxy pick ups and no mention of some early ones having them. That's where i'm getting conflicting info

Quote Originally Posted by Jfinelle81 View Post
    From SERIALS Pre-EB - Musicmanbass.org, Music Man, Musicman, Music Man Bass, Musicman Bass, Music Man Guitar

There are a few other places where they make it pretty clear that 1979 basses had non epoxy pick ups and no mention of some early ones having them. That's where i'm getting conflicting info
    That's from my site. I suppose I could have said it better. The epoxied preamps were mainly gone by the beginning of 1979 (I don't mean the 1st Jan 79). But there were some black epoxied still being used. There wasn't a sharp cut off date. MM would have used their older stock until depleted. "Music Man" (and the serial number) began appearing on the bridge in late 1978 but at the same time the older (unmarked) bridge was still being used as well. Again there was no sharp cut off date.
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 04-15-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    Gav.
    www.musicmanbass.org
    MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE I.D.