Mariposa Green

Thread: Axis setup question: lower action on the upper frets

User Info Menu

Axis setup question: lower action on the upper frets

My strings are PERFECT at the lower frets, but a bit high towards the bridge. Anyone know what I should do to lower them? Trussrod adjustment?

User Info Menu

You can use the truss rod to get the strings lower in the upper fret area, or a shim can be placed under the neck.

This is the main reason I personally do not like the Floyd Rose system. You can't adjust individual saddle height.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jongitarz
    You can use the truss rod to get the strings lower in the upper fret area, or a shim can be placed under the neck.

This is the main reason I personally do not like the Floyd Rose system. You can't adjust individual saddle height.
    Spoken like a true repair guy!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

User Info Menu

I had this problem with my EVH. It came from the factory with a shim. I just put a little thicker shim in it and it pretty much solved the problem.

Be careful though, if you've never shimmed a neck before you may want to practice first on a different guitar. It only takes a very small change to radically alter the action.

User Info Menu

But Wait!!

BUT WAIT, the only thing is, that when a neck is shimmed it essentially "angles" it a bit more, which brings the neck closer to the strings in the upper frets; correct??

BUT, doesn't that also take out of alignment the "previous" straight path from the neck pocket screw & hole (on the body of the guitar), with the neck holes???

It must, at least to some extent, since the neck is slightly more angled after the shim is placed. Would it be wise to plug the neck holes and then redrill new holes???

Maybe Jon can comment on this or anyone else, please, any input on this is helpful??

User Info Menu

If you're just going for height, you can use a shim that's the same size of the neck pocket which will raise the entire neck. There's a good Dan Erlewine video where he breaks down how to do this easily - also prevents "humping" of the upper frets due to undue pressure in one spot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TNT

It must, at least to some extent, since the neck is slightly more angled after the shim is placed. Would it be wise to plug the neck holes and then redrill new holes???

Maybe Jon can comment on this or anyone else, please, any input on this is helpful??

No..It will not need to be plugged and drilled. Like hbucker said, a thin shim will do a lot.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I adjusted the truss rod last night and the action is definetly better now....but it's still not perfect. I've never shimmed a neck before and I don't feel confident trying it myself. Maybe it's time to take it to a tech

User Info Menu

on mine i added a .010 shim on top of the existing shim and it was perfect. i know this because i did it again with a .015 shim and it was fretting out like crazy so i went back to the .010. i highly recomend you shim it or have it done for you it makes a big difference.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
    - Hunter S. Thompson