Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous question about the LUKE.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Ridiculous question about the LUKE.

So, I ordered a Dargie Delight LUKE. I love the look of the one posted for Luscious. It's very pretty.

I did a dumb thing though while trying a LUKE out in the store. I only played it with distortion. It sounds mega-grand (yes, that much more than grand) but I never tried it on clean. With the pickups being active EMGs, how does it sound clean? I actually feel like an idiot for asking this now, and not before buying the guitar.

Is the clean anywhere similar to a Strat? I am hoping it will have fatter-than-strat single coiled sound, without getting too out of control. I love playing blues and jazz, and hope I didn't make a stupid mistake. Any opinions?

(Oh yeah, if you're going to say "man, you're an idiot for not checking beforehand..." at least make it clever and original. I can take criticism as long as there's thought and effort involved!)
    Last edited by TimSz; 10-07-2006 at 03:24 AM. Reason: I need to learn me how to type.

User Info Menu

Meh buy a cheap strat aswell ;P
    The Luke's clean is great and sounds erm like a luke? ;P
    You can get an estimation of most tones with tweaking.
    Hi btw ;P

User Info Menu

Yes its magnificent clean!!!!! you will be super happy with its sound. strat on steroids, ultra quiet, full of great tone, SRV sounds in the neck, strat quack with neck/middle, perfect for that Little Wing sound or Albert Lee country. Amazing sounding axe, if it weren't for the humbucker it would be a total strat killer, the only thing you miss is the bridge/middle sound of a strat. everything else KILLS a strat.

Congrats on a fine order!
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

btw, it will sound a lot like your silo special, but just a slightly fatter tone.

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

I like the Luke a lot. I like the cleans better than the Luke with distortion, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm much more of a fan of the JP when it comes to distortion. Personally, I don't miss that bridge/middle thing that Rob is talking about. I don't use that setting much on my $trat anyway. I much prefer the neck/middle combo. Sounds fatter. But man, I love the Luke clean sounds. Very cool!
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Talking Mmm... LUKEY goodness.

I as well don't mind not having the bridge/middle pickup setting. I may eventually get a stupid Silhouette Special with the three single coil action; just because I love the single coil sound so much; but I'm in no rush for it.

I play Jimi. I play SRV. I play Robert Cray. Mind you, I think there's a certain amount of sacrilege when attempting to play these fine fellow's music with a olive green guitar; but the martini glasses will woo all nay-sayers!

Let's not bring up the Petrucci though. I have tried and tried and tried to get one left handed, and gave up officially after my last attempt... last week. I am more than satisfied with the Silhouette Special and soon to be LUKE. I may even delve into an Axis SS if funds allow. I can imagine some pretty nice tones coming from that, on the jazzy side of things. I try to stay away from distortion. I get hives whenever I go near it. Hahahahaha.

Anyways, thanks for the good words, kids. I appreciate the info, and as soon as I get my LUKE in, expect pictures of the... well, maybe one; because I play blues! We don't have to be all show. Some guy told me once "We let the music speak for itself." That guy probably sucked.

Actually, while I'm at it; who has an Axis SS with hardtail? How's that sucker play? How is the 5-way toggle on it? What kind of cleans should I expect out of it? I am actually admittedly in love with EBMM and want to know all I can. I should get a job with y'all! I know it's love because my mom offered to front me a hundred bucks on a shiny new Fender. I denied her, and said that I only play with my Balls now. She clearly did not see what I was getting at. Suffice it to say, the down-payment money quickly dissipated.

I'm silly.
    Last edited by TimSz; 10-07-2006 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added in the last paragraph after proof-reading it.

User Info Menu

my mum would would have told me I need a girlfriend and "too much of that and you'll go cross eyed"

Silo Special + Luke + Axis SS = wicked!

Komp
    Silhouette bass guitar (Blue dawn/Maple)
    Stingray 2EQ (Black/Rosewood)
    USA SUB Bass (Teal/Rosewood)

My music pages
    http://www.simonatkinsonandthefoundr...pprentice.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/thefallofevemusic/
    https://www.facebook.com/Slider-Ayrs...8254238294536/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy-jengas View Post
    I as well don't mind not having the bridge/middle pickup setting.
    only reason i miss it on the Luke is because i do so many gigs/sessions where i really need it. bridge/middle tone is great for funk and country, and blues too. i hate having to bring a strat to a recording, thats why i ordered a Silo special SSS to cover for it.

User Info Menu

Wink Ahh, my dear old mum.

My mother has been nothing but supportive where my musical aspirations are concerned. She feels that being polite and supporting it now will mean a nice old folks home for her in fifteen years. It's a fair trade-off. I have no nagging voice of reason, and she'll get her much needed alzheimers meds. Everyone wins!

I think I'm probably going to end up with a stupid Axis SS for my Christmas present to myself. I am ridiculous, but don't care at this point. My obsession is well worth it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy-jengas View Post
    I think I'm probably going to end up with a stupid Axis SS for my Christmas present to myself. I am ridiculous, but don't care at this point. My obsession is well worth it!
    Rosewood!
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Our bridge/middle obsession is simply eliminated by never touching a Strat again. "Yeah, it sounds nice..." but if I don't acknowledge it as a sound it doesn't exist! I'm sneaky that way...

User Info Menu

Question Speaking of Rosewood...

I wonder if we can get Fogman to put up a picture of a left handed Axis SS hardtail in black. I think a birdseye maple neck would look stunning, with a matching headstock. I am totally up for other color combinations though... please discuss.

User Info Menu

I miss the neck/middle combo, though. I would love a JP with a single coil in the middle wired with a parallel mode with one of the neck pickup coils. But, then again, sometimes I want a single coil in the neck. So, I think I'll just have to hold on to my $trat until a Silo Spec comes my way.

User Info Menu

I love the Rosewood ASS. That neck is awesome!

User Info Menu

The other difference with the Luke clean is that the sounds are very tonally even. You don't get the frequency peak you get with strat pickups- it's very balanced. Some people think it's more sterile, but it just means you get to EQ your amp however you see fit.

Luke is a great sounding guitar IMHO.