JP 20th Anniversary
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piezo problems...

User Info Menu

Had a similar problem with my Silo Special, and is was dirty contacts on the battery box. Stopped it dead in its tracks! Felt like a newb. give it a try.-Eric

User Info Menu

This is a long shot, but are you tuned to pitch? The strings must be in good contact with the saddles for the piezo to work.

Anther long shot:

Do you live in a high humidity area? Maybe there is some oxidation on the saddles preventing vibration transfer.

User Info Menu

tuned to pitch, bridge is angled correctly... full contact with the saddles.

and i live in hawaii, which is humid, but i don't think the humidity would cause a problem 2 weeks after the bridge was switched out.

i'm certain it's not the bridge. totally suspecting the battery box. i actually put a folded card behind the battery so when i close the door, it's totally pushed to the contacts. so it's not loose or anything. gigged last night, and it still went in and out.

it's weird because it's mostly low-end frequency drop out... but i have another gig tonight. i'll take a look at the actual contacts and see if i can clean those. if not, i'm calling cust.serv. tomorrow... hey dan...!

thanks for all the help everyone. really appreciate it. my color-changing ball is screwy!! (and you can quote me on that )

User Info Menu

Chrisallen,

I must commend you on your thread!!!
    It's nice to actually see someone go through the proper channels first before coming to the forum with the problem. Your thread was prensented nicely and worded so that you were not coming off as a hothead and bashing the company, calling anyone names, etc......
    This should be a model for anyone posting a problem here.
    Good job!!!! I'm getting sick of seeing threads locked up.
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

Yucatan Blue Axis
    Black Sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fogman View Post
    Chrisallen,

I must commend you on your thread!!!
    It's nice to actually see someone go through the proper channels first before coming to the forum with the problem. Your thread was prensented nicely and worded so that you were not coming off as a hothead and bashing the company, calling anyone names, etc......
    This should be a model for anyone posting a problem here.
    Good job!!!! I'm getting sick of seeing threads locked up.
    wow cool. i kinda know BB ettiquite, even though i can get silly sometimes haha.

i have NO reason to be angry or call anyone names. EB has been so great to me in trying to fix this problem. my store doesn't sell EB/MM due to being too close to another store that does, but man... i always have my guitar here, and wear the EB swag to work. people always ask about the guitar, say it sounds great (i demo a lot of gear with my guitar hahaha) and LOVE the mystic dream finish. so i'm really proud to finally own one.

i actually wanted to purchase this guitar when it FIRST came out. my parents helped me place the order (i was 18 at the time) and we put the deposit down, and ordered the 6string fully loaded mystic dream. 2 weeks after we ordered it though, my dad passed away suddenly. it was just me and mom so we had to immediately cut out everything that was extraneous... a $2000 guitar at the time was not feasable. so we were fortunate enough that the place i ordered it from let me cancel the order and get back our deposit. so for 4 years i tried to get the closest i could to the jp.... schecter c1e/a with ghost piezo was the closest i got, 500 bucks, not bad for the price, and i still have it. and i got the olp JP for like, 180... but it wasn't the same of course. i was very fortunate last christmas that a very good friend actually bought the guitar for me (pay him back when i can). to order your dream guitar, and have it taken away from you, that sucks. i'm so proud to have it now though. i tell everyone about it.

WOAH TANGENT OK!!!!!!
    yeah, threads like this unfortunately end up getting locked due to immaturity. but everyone here has been super cool!
    Last edited by chrisallen; 10-25-2006 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Chris, you are in Hawaii?

At which store do you work, and where do you play?

Aloha!
    Ernie Ball Strings

"Jeff Porcaro's equipment speaks for itself"

User Info Menu

I am in hawaii... i work at easy music, and i play where ever haha.

Looks like I'm calling Customer Support... it's so funny that it's not a volume drop, but the bass frequencies just disappear. I can't find ANY pattern or cause, and each time I sent the guitar up to them, they said they never experienced that problem.

AHHHHHH!!!! But I have to use the guitar like 3 times this week!

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have owned a MM Sterling H with piezo pickups saddles, issued 10/27/2006.

Through the years, I have tried different strings to achieve, as closely as possible, the sound of an upright when using the piezo mode.

I eventually set for ROTOSOUND black nylon long scale standard strings — RS 88 LD (65-75-100-115) which gave my bass the warm round sound I appreciate.

I have no problem playing the guitar when in normal mode i.e. all strings respond. However, when playing in the piezo mode, only the A string reacts the way it should; the remaining E, D and G strings will not speak unless I press lightly on top of each string at the saddle level so a contact is made with the preamp.

I am at a loss, what is the problem? How can it be solved?

Thanks for your answer.

der Moench

P.S. I have read all the comments before and tried different offered advices, but unfortunately no positive results.

User Info Menu

That's an interesting thing that I hadn't thought about, that the string must be in good contact with the saddle for the piezo to work properly. I had a JP 20th Anniversary guitar with some funky piezo issues "out of the box" (one piezo was way louder than the rest, one piezo buzzed/clattered when the string was played). In hindsight maybe changing out the strings would have solved it? EBMM didn't suggest it and Sweetwater offered a replacement so I went that route. So I'll never know! Still awaiting the replacement, but it'll be worth the wait.

Hope you get your piezo issues sorted soon! Such a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Jonís idea was true of my JP6. The battery connectors were bent flat from age and the connection was subsequently dodgy. Once I bent them back everything worked perfectly.
    ​JP6
    Majesty 6
    Parker Nitefly
    Ibanez UV777