JP 20th Anniversary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the Morse compare with the Axis?

User Info Menu

How does the Morse compare with the Axis?

I really want to try a Morse (blueburst preferably) to see if I like the feel, but the only EBMM dealer near me is GC, and last time I was there, they only had a couple of Axis's (what's the plural of Axis anyway? ...Axi? Axes? lol). I don't want to order (or Ebay) one without trying it first, and I'd rather not drive a long way just to try one (I'm in central Long Island NY). I'm considering going to GC to try an Axis, as it seems to be the closest comparable thing within my reach. How will it compare neckwise, and overall feel. I know the pickups are different, I'm concerned mostly with feel, as I have "issues" with my current guitars.

I've seen and heard the Morse in action many many times, up close too, but it was always in the hands of some guy named Steve. I want to know how it feels in my hands. I have a Strat and a Les Paul, so if anyone could compare it with those, it would be helpful. I realize it's pretty far from a Les Paul, probably more Strat-like, I'm guessing.

User Info Menu

One more thing...is the Morse nut cut from the factory to fit 10-46's?

User Info Menu

They feel a little different in my hands. I have had two Morses and two Axis guitars. I still have a Morse is that tells you which way I lean.

They are both great guitars, they are both very well made, and they both sound great. I like the additional variety of the Morse's pickup configuration, and I like the tune-o-matic bridge on the Morse a lot. The axis excells at rock sounds, while the Morse excells at covering a lot of bases very well. Plus, I'm not a fan of floyds per se. You can get an axis without a floyd, so that's not a real concern.

I had to buy a Morse from da 'bay to try one out, as no one around here stocks one either. I liked it so much that I sold it and bought ordered one in the color I wanted (I wish I could keep them all, but that's not how it goes). The nut on the Morse is cut for a custom set of string quages that come on the Morse from the factory, but I have had good success with both 9s and 10s without having to have work done on the nut.

They are both wonderful guitars. I love the necks on both of them. I simply found the Morse to be slightly more to my liking. My 2 cents.
    @end, love_take = love_make
    Now playing: Silhouette 20th Anniversary, hardtail, rosewood, non-match, 10s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adwex View Post
    what's the plural of Axis anyway?
    From webster and dictionary.com

Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Adwex View Post
    I really want to try a Morse. I'm in central Long Island NY.
    ROYAL MUSIC
    2064 SUNRISE HWY
    MERRICK , NY 11566
    516-377-8000
    516-377-1975 (fax)
    www.royalmusiccompany.com

Are they near you?
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette19 Bongo 6 Fretless BFR Double neck

User Info Menu

I think Royal Music in merrick long island has a morse, at least they did a few months ago, you might wanna give them a call and see, wherever you are on long island they cant be too far, they have plenty of axis and silos as well, give them a call -

User Info Menu

the Morse is brilliant, the newer models have the same neck as the Y2D. Buy one, you won't be disappointed...

User Info Menu

well I own Axis (in fact 2 but didn't want to use the official plurial ) and I have tried the Y2D.

I must admit that for my taste the Axis do it better. The Y2D is an amazing guitar with one of the best finish I have ever seen but I didn't like the neck when I have tried it.

it was only a one hour try and maybe I need to play more to "click" with it, but the fact is that I believe it's not a gtr for me

Hence I will recommend really to try one before you get one
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    the Morse is brilliant, the newer models have the same neck as the Y2D. Buy one, you won't be disappointed...
    wow is that right Colin? I was thinking of ordering the regular Morse to get the fatter neck, but if its now the same as the Y2D then i wont bother. Why the change i wonder?
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

the biggest differences to me is the tone possabillities w/ the morse...the necks feel pretty much the same to me

User Info Menu

The Morse neck doesn't feel anything like an Axis neck, to me... In fact, I think the Morse neck is far closer to a Silhouette neck than anything else in the EBMM line... Personally, I prefer the Axis, but it's really horses for courses - if you prefer the feel of the Silhouette or don't mind changing the feel of your neck when switching guitars, a Morse is probably in your future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda2 View Post
    I was thinking of ordering the regular Morse to get the fatter neck, but if its now the same as the Y2D then i wont bother. Why the change i wonder?
    They re-scanned Steve's #1 neck when they were doing the development of the Y2D. Over the years he's had a lot of re-frets and the neck had become thinner. So the Y2D and the newer Morse neck is just an updated version of what he actually plays. Same way all the new JPs get the D-Sonic, etc.

Personally I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi D View Post
    The Morse neck doesn't feel anything like an Axis neck, to me... In fact, I think the Morse neck is far closer to a Silhouette neck than anything else in the EBMM line.
    Yeah, Jimi's right on the money. I like both - and play both regularly. But the Axis feels smaller and rounder to me, whereas the Morse has a little more meat to it and is a little flatter.

They're both great necks, but as with anything it's a good idea to try before you buy (or buy used and sell it if you don't like it).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorM View Post

ROYAL MUSIC
    2064 SUNRISE HWY
    MERRICK , NY 11566
    516-377-8000
    516-377-1975 (fax)
    www.royalmusiccompany.com

Are they near you?
    Thanks for that, I never heard of Royal Music. They're not "around the block", but it's worth a 40 minute drive. I checked their website, says they have 2 Morse's (blueburst hardtail - preferred... and black w/floyd). They also have a Y2D, so hopefully if they still have them in stock I can try all 3.

Thanks NorM.

Adam

User Info Menu

Although I LOVE the tone, I'm almost convinced that no other guitar on this, or any other planet, has a fatter neck than my Les Paul, and I'm not happy with my cheapo mexi-strat...it just doesn't feel or play like a quality instrument, and the volume knob is placed too close to where my right hand is so it gets in the way (another thing I like about the LP). I know the Morse volume knob is fairly close, but it seems further away than a Strat. Any Morse players (beside Steve) have trouble with the knob location?

User Info Menu

I'd think the 12" radius of the Morse would make quite a difference from either the Axis or Sil necks.

PS: Woops, Beej covered this.
    Last edited by candid_x; 12-11-2006 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lock-ny View Post
    I think Royal Music in merrick long island has a morse, at least they did a few months ago, you might wanna give them a call and see, wherever you are on long island they cant be too far, they have plenty of axis and silos as well, give them a call -
    Great place to see lots of EBMMs.