VPJr Tuner

Thread: Curiosity killed the cat.....

User Info Menu

Curiosity killed the cat.....

i was just wondering if there ways an official reason why petrucci left ibanez. i have heard so lots of stories about why he left the company. not trying to cause any comotion. just curious.

User Info Menu

Yeah, because Music Man makes better guitars.
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I know this sounds like a politically correct response, but he simply just liked what Sterling and EB were offering and was at the end of his Ibanez contract - so he switched to what was a good opportunity for him. Plain and simple. Sterling gave him the chance to design 6 & 7 stringers from the ground up. He had nothing against Ibanez at all (despite all the silly internet rumors you'll see) and was just blown away with how the folks at EB/MM worked with him to design what he wanted.

We've all changed jobs over the years because a better opportunity or company came along. It didn't necessarily mean that we disliked our current employer, but when something better comes along, we don't turn a blind eye to it and sometimes make the change. So it was funny to see all the conspiracy theories on the web about something as simple as changing guitar companies. It baffled JP as to why people would think such twisted things about what was a straight ahead decision for him.

So in short, EB/MM was the better offer and JP has loved it ever since. He's always maintained that he never left Ibanez because of any problems. He just preferred the EB/MM team and I think some pretty unique guitars have been the result of that positive change.

paul
    Majesty 7 Purple Nebula
    JP BFR Tobacco Burst
    EBJP7 Autumn Redrise Sparkle
    Youtube Channel
    www.paulwarren.com
    www.infiniteeve.com

User Info Menu

I'm just glad he did.

User Info Menu

I've wondered if Ibanez let him have his own seven string model if he would have been open to design talks with EBMM? I mean, I don't know anything about how he came to know BP and Dudley, but would he have been interested if he was perfectly happy with what Ibanez was doing for him? It seems to me that EBMM offered him something he couldn't get with the Co. from Hoshino... The opportunity to design a guitar entirely from the ground up to meet his needs sounds like a hell of an incentive - especially if Ibanez wasn't willing to do that.

User Info Menu

Steve Morse is the hero of John Petrucci (and are also friends I believe)...
    So perhaps it created a natural inclination towards Music Man

User Info Menu

We gave him a bentley and a house on the riviera...Actually what Paul said.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi D View Post
    I've wondered if Ibanez let him have his own seven string model if he would have been open to design talks with EBMM? I mean, I don't know anything about how he came to know BP and Dudley, but would he have been interested if he was perfectly happy with what Ibanez was doing for him? It seems to me that EBMM offered him something he couldn't get with the Co. from Hoshino... The opportunity to design a guitar entirely from the ground up to meet his needs sounds like a hell of an incentive - especially if Ibanez wasn't willing to do that.
    Umm, I believe the P3 was a 7-String, but I could be wrong... I know he had/has a black and white Picasso that's a 7.
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2013 JP12 7 - Cherry Sugar
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle