Joe Dart

Thread: I'm in love with a Axis SS . . .

User Info Menu

I'm in love with a Axis SS . . .

I've been checking out a couple of multi-effects/amp modeling USB interfaces like the M-Audio Black Box and the Zoom G2.1u at local guitar stores - a Christmas present to myself kinda thing. I decided on the M-Audio Black Box.

In the process of testing the multi-effects portion to see what the models sound like - I grabbed a sunburst Axis SS off the wall at my local GC.

Holy Sh*t! I like it better that my Petrucci! I never thought I'd say that. It has an amazing flame top and a killer birdeye neck, plus it had something I've been missing - a variety of single coil sounds.

Unfortunately - current finances don't permit, or I would have taken it home that day. I don't do credit except for a mortgage. If I don't have the cash - I don't buy the item. But I considered it . . .

But now I have a new guitar on the top of my list for my next guitar purchase. Amazing guitar BP.

Now I need to decide - New Petrucci F1 or Axis in 2007?

Arrrgh!

>^..^<
    Last edited by edensdad; 12-15-2006 at 06:44 AM.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

'04 EBMM JP6 LE2 Envy Green
    '04 Martin D-15

User Info Menu

Glad to hear that

ASS is a killing axe. Once you tried it hard to forget it
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Even though I am a HUGE supporter of the F-1 (and will be ordering a dozen or two come NAMM), if it's single coil sounds you want, and you like the ASS, then the ASS would probably be the weapon of choice for you, even though all split positions still operate 2 coils: http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/te...s_sport_hh.gif
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands

User Info Menu

Well if you wait for the 07 LE's you can have an ASS in Blue Dawn, very nice!!!

I like my JP, but have loved my Axis Sport since the day I got it.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

What do the 5 positions do? Could someone chime in with that info?

I figured the two end ones were bridge and neck humbuckers and the middle 3 were some single coil combinations, but I just know I got that fat SRV single coil sound I love, I even bypassed the modeller and went straight into a clean fender amp to be sure my ears weren't lying.

>^..^<
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

'04 Martin D-15

User Info Menu

From Jimi D website (The Bible for all Axis lovers )

"The well-figured Maple top and matching headstock are beautifully finished in EB/MM's distinctive "Trans Red", and the hardware is of excellent quality. The pickups are the same custom Dimarzios found in the Axis proper, but they do not seem quite as "hot" as in the Axis, perhaps due to the inclusion of the tone control and the coil-splitting options in the electronics. Of course, the more sophisticated electronics make the Super Sport more versatile than its Floyd-equipped predecessor. The five way switch offers great faux Strat and Tele tones in the mix with these positions (fr. neck): 1 = neck pickup, 2 = neck & bridge split to inner coils, 3 = neck & bridge, 4 = neck & bridge outer coils, 5 = bridge pickup. The tone control tapers well with lots of sweep, and the volume is smooth and gradual. The EB/MM string-through-body bridge is solid, very well made, and offers a smooth, comfortable feel under your palm. The hardtail bridge allows for what seems impossibly low action without undo buzzing or fretting out. Finally, like all of my Axes, this is a lightweight guitar - easily under 7 lbs. - which combines with the magnificent neck and flawless playability into a very comfortable instrument. "
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

The #2 and #4 positions on the ASS are great!
    Being that they run a single coil off each HB, you get noise canceling too

User Info Menu

So they're like the middle position on my JP. Cool.

'04 Martin D-15

User Info Menu

of course the ASS is killer, what did you expect! Its a brilliant guitar!!!!!!! SO versatile.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

Axis all the way. The best guitar made by anyone!
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

My prejudices are well known, but I'll say it anyway...

Get an Axis

there...

User Info Menu

You go girl!
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

OK - thanks for the encouragement, but two things . . .

Not a girl . . .

and to quote George Carlin: " 'You go girl' needs to go!"

'04 Martin D-15