EBMM Stingray bass green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Ball Axis history?

User Info Menu

Ernie Ball Axis history?

Hi all! Little question: What do you know about EB MM Axis history. Original Axis was Eddie Van Halen signature model, but how it become Axis? I appreciate any knowledge about Axis history. Today original Eddie Van halen Music Man guitars are very expensive. Is there any differencies between Axis and original EVH model? Also do anyone have information, how many Axis guitars has been totally made?

User Info Menu

Before EVH came to Music Man in search of a guitar the Axis was already designed. EVH and the boys up at SLO fine tuned it to his taste. Then it became his signature. After EVH left EBMM they renamed it Axis relocated the pickup switch and widened the neck I think 1/32" towards the upper frets to prevent string slippage. Which is the only major changes. Still same pickups ect.

User Info Menu

The back of the guitar is also beveled for comfort.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

from the EB FAQ

1. Lack of Eddie's signature on the headstock (obviously)

2. Toggle switch is moved down below the volume knob, instead of the original location near the bottom horn/below the neck pickup.

3. Body is now contoured on back where your stomach and guitar meet.

4. Neck width at higher frets is increased by 1/32" to avoid high E string slippage.

5. "Tone" knob is now a "Volume" knob.

6. Offset saddles on the Floyd (EVH), non-offset on the Axis.

7. ...one could argue money/price, depending on the market at the time, but that's personal preference.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

Let's not forget that in fact the first Axis was the Albert lee model before it became his sig guitar.....Just a little more info to add to the specs mentioned above.

User Info Menu

here is the original axis.....

User Info Menu

super pic Brent! I hadnt seen that one!
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

Whos that guy in the middle?

User Info Menu

I have no idea !!

Doug
    you can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

User Info Menu

I thought Ed came up with the body shape ? cross between a tele, and LP
    And tuned the p-ups with dimarzio ?

Doug

User Info Menu

Doug,

I think there's differing opinions on that one. EB supposedly already had the body design down. Ed just moved a few things around.

Anyways, it's morphed itself into one hell of a guitar!!!!!!
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

If Ed designed the body how come we still sell a variation of it. Ed claims a lot of things.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Ooops !!

Doug

User Info Menu

BP, Where the same necks used for the Axis and Al prototypes? I remember seeing photos where they both had Axis on the headstock.
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John Denner View Post
    Pretty sure the Albert Lee signature model is not the same as the neck found on the Axis, maybe the EVH signature model had a different feel ?

Never played the EVH version of the Axis.
    No John, he means in the early pictures the Al and EVH both had a neck on them that said Axis. I think he is asking if that was a neck that they used for testing out prototypes.