New Prodigy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The secret 1.5 position.

User Info Menu

Talking The secret 1.5 position.

Has anyone mucked about on a SS with HSS configuration and found that secret 1.5 position that I think turns the humbucker into a single coil? Is that what it does? It adds a lot of hum and gives it a thinner sound, which sounds like a single coil to me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this position. I am not the biggest fan of the humbucker for cleans, but this new 1.5 is my favorite spot on the guitar. MMMMMMM.

Anyone else figure this out? The best way to do it is to sneak your way towards the second position from the first. I find it's just easier to locate it this way... the second to the first it seems is more difficult to pinpoint the 1.5 ... sooo tasty.

I recommend anyone with a Silhouette Special HSS to try it out. I am almost tempted to say that this has my faith restored in HSS layouts, other than the LUKE. I was going to go SSS for my next SS but this may have put the HSS back in my good books.

User Info Menu

Darn, i saw the title of this thread and thought it was something that was gonna help my declining marriage to my midget wife!
    EBMM Axis in Pacific Blue Burst
    EBMM JP6 2007LE in Blue Dawn FOR SALE
    EBMM Albert Lee HH in Coral Red

Find me on Facebook

User Info Menu

didnt know it could do that, dang!
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

Wouldn't that be position 4.5, since the bucker is position 5? Will try it later, just for grins.

I remember fiddling with in-between 1/2 and 2/3, before strats had the 5 position switch, to cop what is now positions 2 and 4.

User Info Menu

Generally EB numbers positions starting at the bridge and ending at the neck.

I will have to try that on the next HSS that comes in!

Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post

D'oh! didn't know that.

User Info Menu

Pete, Why not just try it out on the AL??

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Glenn, I haven't mentioned it before but the switching on the AL is different than the SiloSp. I don't really use position 2 (yet) but I know position 4 combines the bucker with the neck coil. I'll have to check the wiring to figure out what position 2 does.
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter

User Info Menu

Pete, your diagram is for a silo, not a silo special. The special is wired differently.

User Info Menu

The coils/positions are numbered the same way tho...
    Visit the all new

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The coils/positions are numbered the same way tho...
    Yes, but position 3 = coils 2 and 4.

User Info Menu

Hi there,

Brand new to the forum. I have a SS HSS, and have been wondering for a while now if it's difficult (considering the silent circuit and everything) to change the wiring so that position 3 is just coil 3, like a Strat? Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you like it?

Junior2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Junior2 View Post
    Hi there,

Brand new to the forum. I have a SS HSS, and have been wondering for a while now if it's difficult (considering the silent circuit and everything) to change the wiring so that position 3 is just coil 3, like a Strat? Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you like it?

Junior2
    Hi Junior, and welcome.

I'm sure there's a way, but I've no idea why anyone would want to. How many players use the middle p'up by itself? The middle position of a HSS Special sounds pretty cool, I think. Tele-esque.

User Info Menu

Hey candid_x,

Thanks very much!

I like the tone of coils 2 and 4 combined, as well. I was just curious because I grew to love coil 3 (all by itself) on my old Strat. I found it perfect for rhythm.

Junior2