BFR Feb 2020
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magic guitars

User Info Menu

Exclamation Magic guitars

I have two totally flawless Ernie Ball Musicman Petrucci Mystic Dream 6 string guitars in front of me. I have honestly never seen musical instruments of this quality and caliber.

Guitar 1 is basic - no inlays, no peizo, no matching headstock.
    Guitar 2 is fully loaded and was originally intended to replace guitar 1.

Guitar 1 is magic. The other is just a fantastic instrument.

Why?

I purchased both within the last week brand new. Guitar 1 is the magic one - non peizo, the neck seems a bit more natural / less finished, and although the action is set to the exact same height as the other to within atoms, it plays like I could never believe a guitar could play. It is also more brown in tone, as in EVH back in 1981. Although both guitars have the d-sonic bridge, guitar 1's tone is simply to die for. - smooth warm, and sizzling brown.

How could both guitars that are so very close and flawless in craftsmanship be so different? I really was expecting to fall in love with the guitar that was fully loaded, but no matter how long I play it, the "no frills" guitar just touches something deep inside that is not present when playing the other guitar.

I really want to love the fully loaded guitar, as it has well...everything I could want lol... but the other guitar is just...magic

Anyone ever seen this before? It may be just Ernie Ball specific, as nothing I have played can even touch the "non magic" guitar.

User Info Menu

I think the non-piezo JPs sound different from the ones with piezo. I think the piezo ones are brighter. Of course, I'm not really an authority. I've probably tried out about 6 different JPs. I think that the piezo-equipped JPs sound different, because they're missing more wood. Of course, I could be totally wrong, and I could totally be imagining it. However, I believe it pretty strongly.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply!

I know what you mean, I am trying to figure out if it is just all in my head.

But I also agree, the peizo equipped JP is brighter. It also has a bit more gain as well. I think the small amount of wood thats absent may affect the tone as well (good point!). The peizo equipped guitar is also noticeably heavier. I wonder if this creates the tonal variation I notice between the two. (Take that Eric Johnson!)

As far as playability factor (for me!) between the two, I'm stumped. I've tried lowering the action a bit, but the other one is still unbeatable.

(Important point - I'm simply curious if other people have noticed this "personal bias" with the same style of guitars, not trying to point out any kind of flaws with either instrument - there are none. )

User Info Menu

I didn't know what a real guitar was until I got my Sub, so I guess that qualifies it as magic

Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer - Satin Black
    Custom Explorer - White

Saving for the perfect Silo

Vox AD50

User Info Menu

every guitar has its own voice.
    you could build 2 guitars in a row from the the exact same source of materials & they will sound different. sometimes very similar.....sometimes very different.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zif View Post
    As far as playability factor (for me!) between the two, I'm stumped. I've tried lowering the action a bit, but the other one is still unbeatable.
    I think each individual guitar is different even if they are the same model. I believe there is some hand sanding that is done to the necks. So, it's conceivable that they really are different if that is true. My friend has two JPs. The feel different from each other and different from mine. his newer one feels a bit more like mine that his first one.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

To me, my old JP6 definitely has more mojo to it than any other JP6 I have played. I guess it's all subjective to your individual ears. I guess that's why I'm getting rid of the Candy Red JP6 (love the way it plays but I'm not feeling the tone 100% on that one) and I am hoping that the Dargie JP6 will do a better job
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

yep, EBMM are magic, nothing feels as good. just amazing the way they are crafted, magicians at work for sure.

almost 4 replies within 1 minute!
    Last edited by robelinda2; 03-20-2007 at 03:16 AM.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

Zif, hang onto the full out one awhile; you may find mojo in that one too.

I felt exactly as you described with my second Silo. In my case, the rosewood vs maple board is a big part of the difference in tone. But it was as you've said: one is warm and brown, and the other is bright.. and seemed almost sterile by comparison. But since giving that one lots more play time, I've come to like it every bit as much as the warmer sounding one. It's just different, more detailed, and it doesn't cover my mistakes as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roburado View Post
    I think each individual guitar is different even if they are the same model. I believe there is some hand sanding that is done to the necks. So, it's conceivable that they really are different if that is true. My friend has two JPs. The feel different from each other and different from mine. his newer one feels a bit more like mine that his first one.

I used to work in a shop where we made Bb trumpets by hand (the finest I've ever played), and I can tell you that there are always going to be ever so slight imperfections, afterall they're made by humans. I know for a fact that although I did my dead level best at everything i did there, not every part I finished was EXACTLY like the last. However, the finished product was always a VERY fine horn.

Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer - Satin Black
    Custom Explorer - White

Saving for the perfect Silo

Vox AD50

User Info Menu

Each of my JP's has its own distinct personality and I love them both -- I couldn't get rid of either if my life depended on it. One is fully loaded and the other is completely no frills, just like you Zif.

My black sparkle is the standard one, and the first one I bought. Its tone is much darker than my fully loaded Mystic Dream. Its neck and fingerboard feel much flatter than the MD...almost like a classical guitar and this is its appeal to me, as I spent a good part of my 20's playing classical.

The MD has a brighter, more singing tone and for some reason, more output. The tonal variety can't be beat because of the piezo.

Do I favor either one? I used to have a slight preference for the black sparkle but now I can't live without either.

We'll see how the dynamic changes when I get my 2007 LE's.
    James

JP6 (Black Sparkle)
    JP6 (Mystic Dream)
    JP7 (Blue Dawn)
    Steve Morse (dark Blueburst)
    Silo Spec. (Pearl Purple)
    BFR JP6 (Bahama Blue Burst)
    Albert Lee (Carbon Blue Pearl)
    25th Anniversary (Venetian Redburst)
    Axis (Lavender Pearl)
    BFR JP6 (Dargie Delight 2)
    Y2D (D-Purpleburst)
    JPX (Black Sugar)
    HH AL (Eldorado Gold)
    JPXI (Onyx)
    Dark Lord Morse
    LIII (Olive Gold)

Proud member of the ALOC and SMOC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tommyindelaware View Post
    every guitar has its own voice.
    you could build 2 guitars in a row from the the exact same source of materials & they will sound different. sometimes very similar.....sometimes very different.
    Yep....And you might let someone else play your guitars, and their take on them may totally different than yours. One mans magic is another mans ebay auction.
    Last edited by jongitarz; 03-19-2007 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda2 View Post
    yep, EBMM are magic, nothing feels as good. just amazing the way they are crafted, magicians at work or sure.
    You couldn't have said it any better !!

Oh yeah, 500 posts !!!! Woo Hoo, it took me long enough
    Last edited by dfrady; 03-19-2007 at 09:05 PM.
    Proud member of the ALOC!!
    Amp:
    Mesa Boogie Mark V
    Future Balls:
    AL Pacific Blueburst S/S/S White Ice PG Trem Matching Head
    ASS Trans Red MM90 Trem Matching Head

User Info Menu

zzzzzzzzzzz . . . buy an Axis already. . .

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Maybe you're just drawn to the "magic" JP because the tone is so crucial. I know that when I play a guitar that feels and sounds ideally, I feel like I play 10 times better.

Or maybe these here experts are correct.
    JP7 Fully loaded, Egyptian Smoke born 5/03/07

My old band, Partikal
    New stuff