Straps 2020
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first guitar and do you still have it?

User Info Menu

What was your first guitar and do you still have it?

Hi all. Just wonderin what your first guitar was.
    Mine wasn't an EBMM (although now I am a dedicated Ball man). My first "real" guitar was an Ampeg Burns of London Wild Dog. I was 14 years old and was with my father in an antiques store (I am 41 now). I don't remember why we were there, but I do remember seeing this big rectangular case covered in what I now know to be the blue diamond tolex Ampeg made famous in the 1960's. I curiously opened the case and wow! I was stunned by this beautiful guitar. That Christmas, I got the guitar as a gift. My father said he coudn't not get it for me, after seeing the look on my face when I first saw the guitar. I played the sh#t out of that guitar and owe my inspiration and playing ability to it. I would spend long hours, sometimes as many as ten a day, playing it. What a great guitar that was and still is to this day. I have it hanging in my music room. It doesn't share the same corner as my Balls, but it has a special place in the room and in my heart. If it weren't for that guitar, I wouldn't have become the person, player and teacher I am today, and I surely wouldn't have discovered the Ernie Ball Music Man guitars (which I also love and adore).

Music is a great gift and we are all fortunate to be able to enjoy it on whatever level that may be for each of us.
    John

User Info Menu

my first axe was an epiphone flying V...everybody knows that i dont have it

User Info Menu

My first guitar was a Celebrity acoustic. No, I do not have it.

I do, however, have my first electric, but I very nearly sold it.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

My first guitar is an old beat up Squier. I got it for a birthday present when I turned 10. I still have, but I don't play it a whole lot. I would never get rid of it, there's something special about your first guitar.
    Guitars
    JP 6 Fully Loaded 5/21/07

Amps
    JSX Head
    Genz Benz 2x12 cab
    Roland 15 (practice amp)
    Boss Pedals

User Info Menu

My first guitar was a no-name acoustic, built as a classical but sold with steel strings, that my parents bought me at a department store (Metropolitan) that used to be on Danforth Avenue in Toronto back in the....well let's just say quite a few years ago. And I still have it - although there is no way that it can ever be played. My first electric was a Dana, a F*nd*r knockoff basically. My first "real" acoustic was an Ovation, and my first "real" electric was a 1971 SG Special, complete with plastic covered mini-humbuckers. Wow, a lot of guitars have passed through my hands since those ones.....frightening.
    John
    1994 Pinkburst AL
    2000 Amber AXIS
    2004 Graphite SUB 5
    2007 Red AXIS

User Info Menu

First acoustic: my uncle's Estrella or Estella (can't remember) nylon string---an el cheapo ---No longer have

First Electric: Epiphone Les Paul sunburst----still have for memory sake.
    Black Luke II

User Info Menu

My first guitar is Maya Les Paul, bought it 23 years ago. Still with me today.But I don't play this one anymore, I've got 3 EBMM (2 more next month). What else do I need?

User Info Menu

super thin ibanez s series in blue, Owned her for about 2 weeks.
    Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
    Psalms 144:1

http://tuningforkd.blogspot.com/

User Info Menu

My first was a Squier, cheap thing, sold it to someone at work for there kid, went through a lot of others until I became a dedicated Ball man

User Info Menu

First guitar I owned was/is my OLP JP.
    The guitar I really started on was my friend's POS Samick guitar. It was, like, worth 100$
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2013 JP12 7 - Cherry Sugar
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle

User Info Menu

Kramer Areostar !!! Totally cheap, totally fun, and tailor made for balls-out hair band 80's metal.
    Ahh the good old days.....great thread, brings back good memories.

Stolen at a gig in Vancouver
    20th Anniversary Silo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1 View Post
    Stolen at a gig in Vancouver
    God, I hate thieves I recently had my 48-CD wallet stolen, ALL my Dream Theater was in it, along with like, 30 other prog CDs that any average (radio/MTV)person wouldn't listen to anyway!

Hope you get it back, man...
    2003 Petrucci 7 - White
    2005 Petrucci 7 - Radiance Red
    2006 Petrucci 6 - Desert Gold
    2007 Petrucci 7 - Dargie Delight
    2013 JP12 7 - Cherry Sugar
    2014 JP13 6 - Cardinal Red Sparkle

User Info Menu

First guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar - 2 hums with a crappy trem. Wore the frets out and had it refretted (poorly) so I sold it for $200 a few years back.
    Brett

www.gilaguitars.com

Always buying clean Musicman EVH signature guitars!!!

User Info Menu

I was a Kramer guy as well, think it was a pacer? it was red and it was a superstrat style guitar, hockeystick headstock! A few years later and a few les pauls and a real superstrat I found the EBMM EVH, guess it was around 95 or so, from there on I went to the silo, then to the Luke and so on, Today I dont own anything that is not EBMM, I have 2 axi and a silo special, looking for an AL or a maple board silo special soon, at one point in my life I was with a band that had a deal with Ibanez, and they sent us a few Korean made guitars, Yuk! Me and the bass player both used EB live and when we recorded the album, we gave the Ibanez guitars to a school in the bronx as part of little kids rock foundation who our mgmt was on the board of, viva EB!

User Info Menu

My Dad bought me a Gibson ES 125 when I was 5. I wish I still had it!