Volt Power Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JP is not good at all!!!!!

User Info Menu

It could have also been just a bad batch of strings.
    Proud member of the ALOC!!
    Amp:
    Mesa Boogie Mark V
    Future Balls:
    AL Pacific Blueburst S/S/S White Ice PG Trem Matching Head
    ASS Trans Red MM90 Trem Matching Head

User Info Menu

Paul is right on, here. I have had a lot of people send guitars in because they break strings and think the saddle/nut/ etc is bad. Usually it is a matter of technique.

User Info Menu

Ok To not expect that many here would suggest someone switch to ours is just a given just as it would be on the Daddario forum. Daddario is a fine company, serious competition and very close personal friends. I dont see many people bashing anything here, but I do se some hyper sensitivity crop up from time to time.

I can say that in my years of guitar making that I have never seen a guitar make a ball unravel. It is not possible. THere is nothing in or on a guitar that can cause the ball to unravel.

I think that you may have a slightly bad batch of strings and maybe should contact Daddario customer service as they are very helpful. It can and does happen to all string makers...even us!
    Last edited by Big Poppa; 05-22-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Paul I totally agree with you re "technique"...
    I have *not* broken a string in approx 12 years but I know guys who are forever breaking them. One guy was breaking them at a rate of 1 per set. He thought it weas his guitar (A G&L legacy). So I offered to play it for a week or so... No broken strings at all. I returned it to him, he play's of it again and what'd ya know? Broken strings! This guy tried 10's, 9's, 11's etc from many different brands but at the end of the day if you're hitting the string really close to the bridge with your pick coming straight down on the string (without angling it a little) the string will just break. I angle the pick so that it's not hitting the string flat but rather at a roughly 45 degrees. If you lighten your touch up a bit, you'll find the tone comes alive a lot more too
    Just my 2 cents!

Bill

User Info Menu

^ This is a good point, and may be why I don't break my D'Addarios. I pick well past the bridge p/u and at a good angle (causing me some attack noise issues!). Still, thanks BP for the moderation!
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger

User Info Menu

a pick attack angle does not cause a ball to unwind......
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    a pick attack angle does not cause a ball to unwind......
    + 1 Billion.

Unless you're a ridiculous neanderthal, there's no way picking is ever going to affect strings like trem use or bending.
    EBMM's :
    2010 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue (#4 of 50)
    2009 BFR JP6 - Dargie II
    2009 BFR JP6 - Cherry Burst (NAMM)
    2009 JP6 - Dargie II (NAMM)
    2009 BFR Rosewood Luke - White Pearl
    2007 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue Burst (MHS)
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Piezo / Hardtail
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Hardtail
    2004 Silhouette Hardtail - White / Rosewood
    2002 JP6 - Silver Sparkle
    1995 EVH - Trans Blue Quilt (NOS)

User Info Menu

"...a pick attack angle does not cause a ball to unwind..."

No of course not. But I have seen people attack the string with a heavy pick held flat near the bridge. Combine that with a heavy handed kind of technique and invariably the string snaps after a while... But no, I've never seen a ball literally unwind from the string.

Bill

User Info Menu

Some interesting stuff here. I've had a string unwind on my JP once. But aside from that (and that I'm sure would have just been a bad string) I've never broken a string on it. I've never been one for breaking strings andyway, and come to think of it I've been using EB strings for years. Way before I got my JP.

Paul, I think you make a really interesting point. I'd never thought of technique as a probel mwith string breakage. I'd always thought if it happens alot it must be a saddle, nut or fret problem. Something along those lines. It's interesting though because I've always had a fairly weak attack with my picking at fairly high speeds. (I say fairly cos im not too fast). I read somewhere a while ago that part of the reason JP's picking sounds so fast is somewhat due to the power in his picking. So I've been working the last year in really getting some volume behind my picking. And string breakage hasn't ever been an issue. Could it be due more to the actual pick angle rather than how hard you pick? I've heard JP unamplified and also checking out Tristans youtube vids, you can quite often hear his picking above his amplifier which suggest he's really digging in. And I'm sure he uses 9's. Maybe it could actually be a tension thing where lighter strings allow you to dig in more as there is less resistance.

I dunno. Some food for thought in this thread anway.
    Carlsberg don't make guitars. But if they did they would probably...........not be as good as a musicman!!

User Info Menu

Picking technique and pick gauge definitely has an effect on string breakage. I've been playing for 15 years or so, with alot of different guitars and strings. For the last 4 years I've been using a Pet loaded with regular slinkys. I also use Jazz IIIs

During my years of playing, every time I've been into EVH -style playing, as in VERY aggressive picking close to the bridge, my string breaking- ratio has increased dramatically. Regardless of the brand of guitars or strings. Respectively, favoring a more mellow style of playing, has made the strings last much longer.

So it's my opinion that a player can have a big affect on the duration of his/her strings.

User Info Menu

I have to balance the Daddario thing.

I use these on my SUB1 and I never broke a string. I always find them consistent, and intonation is set very well with them, they don't last long but where I live the climate doesn't help any string you put... so I guess this isn't much of a factor.

I remember trying the EB Rock and Rolls and they simply didn't work for me. I have an OLP MM1 that I currently use Super Slinkys with it and I'm not satisfied either... I might try the RPS...

EB's won't work for everybody, but that's the way it is...
    [SIZE="1"]Guitars:

Musicman SUB1 guitar

Fender Tele Deluxe RI 72 Japan 1995 wine red

Jackson Soloist XL 1993 Japan snow white

Amp: Peavey Studio Pro 112 Transtube series

A few pedals: Neo Clone chorus, Carbon Copy delay, modified Boss metal zone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by puppyonacid View Post
    Paul, I think you make a really interesting point. I'd never thought of technique as a probel mwith string breakage. I'd always thought if it happens alot it must be a saddle, nut or fret problem. Something along those lines. It's interesting though because I've always had a fairly weak attack with my picking at fairly high speeds. (I say fairly cos im not too fast). I read somewhere a while ago that part of the reason JP's picking sounds so fast is somewhat due to the power in his picking. So I've been working the last year in really getting some volume behind my picking. And string breakage hasn't ever been an issue. Could it be due more to the actual pick angle rather than how hard you pick? I've heard JP unamplified and also checking out Tristans youtube vids, you can quite often hear his picking above his amplifier which suggest he's really digging in. And I'm sure he uses 9's. Maybe it could actually be a tension thing where lighter strings allow you to dig in more as there is less resistance.

I dunno. Some food for thought in this thread anway.
    Oddly enough, I was able to have a conversation with JP and Paul Gilbert about picking and pick guages at a recent G3 show. And something JP mentioned was that he noticed (in a previous G3 jam a couple of years ago) that Yngwie looked like he was picking with a feather and had an incredibly light right hand. But as everybody knows, Malmsteen sounds like he's picking very aggressively. Every note is really distinct and he accents the runs very well. He uses 8's and bends a lot and uses extremely wide vibrato, yet you don't see him break strings (except in his little ode to Hendrix bit ). I've seen JP play a lot unplugged and while it sounds like he's digging in, I don't think he is. I think those guys who sound that way are simply very articulate with their picking and the clarity makes it sound like they are ripping through the strings. We all dig in at lower tempos for accents and interesting attack, but at the higher speeds it doesn't make sense to dig in the same amount. Teaching picking for so long, this has kind of been a study of mine and I've looked at lots of great players up close to see what is going on. I even did geeky things like hold a video camera 2 feet away from a national acoustic flatpicking champion and had him pick for me. They all have vastly different pick angles and arm/wrist positions, but I still believe the "power" that we hear in the picking is in their accuracy and clarity and ability to accent the notes as needed. It doesn't always have that much to do with how hard they are striking the string. You can sound very clear and articulate when picking lightly. For years I thought I had to pick harder to get the same articulation, but I've changed that opinion and tried to focus on the quality of my picking and it sounds imminently better to me. That, and I'm not breaking strings anymore. I don't think you have to play like a beast to break strings. Just digging in too much near the bridge can be much rougher on strings than trem use or heavy bending.

paul
    Last edited by Paul Warren; 05-23-2007 at 05:19 AM.
    Majesty 7 Purple Nebula
    JP BFR Tobacco Burst
    EBJP7 Autumn Redrise Sparkle
    Youtube Channel
    www.paulwarren.com
    www.infiniteeve.com

User Info Menu

Good thread!

I have a few points to add.

I have used both D'Addarios AND EB strings and have had the VERY occasional string breakage, but most were with old strings and they needed replaced anyway.

I learned somewhere that you can get more volume from the same pick stroke/strength by moving the pick further in on the string. So, the pick's tip barely striking the string will produce a softer note, while moving the tip of the pick another 1/8 inch in toward the guitar while picking with the SAME strength will produce a louder note. This encourages using a consistent pick stroke and moving the pick towards and away from the guitar to create dynamics instead of actually picking harder. This sounds easy to do in theory, but hard to carry out in the 'heat of the moment'.

Long story short: I agree that technique can play a big role in string breakage. That and the occasional bad string!

User Info Menu

Whoa....Some of you dont read the posts well enough. The original complant was that he thought his JP6 was faulty because his E string was unravelling at the ball. THats all I m responding to. He wanted to throw his guitar off a cliff.

Yes pick attack and angle can possibly increase the probability of string breakage but that is not the topic at hand.

If your balls are falling off...it isnt your guitars fault.!!!!
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BetaCAM View Post
    I have to balance the Daddario thing.

I use these on my SUB1 and I never broke a string. I always find them consistent, and intonation is set very well with them, they don't last long but where I live the climate doesn't help any string you put... so I guess this isn't much of a factor.

I remember trying the EB Rock and Rolls and they simply didn't work for me. I have an OLP MM1 that I currently use Super Slinkys with it and I'm not satisfied either... I might try the RPS...

EB's won't work for everybody, but that's the way it is...
    Comparing our strings on an olp and Daddarios on a sub isnt really fair.

Newssflash...you dont need to balance the coverage at the company sponsored forum.

If you want to post about daddario strings try this site D'Addario Strings Homepage
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks