Joe Dart
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference Between Axis Sport and Axis Super Sport?

User Info Menu

Question Difference Between Axis Sport and Axis Super Sport?

Hi, I am not really familiar with EBMM guitars, so I was hoping I could borrow from the expertise here...

I am looking at trading for an Axis Sport MM90, but I can't find much info on them online... How do the P90s sound on these? Also, what is the difference between the Axis Sport and the Axis Super Sport? What is the average value on a very good condition Axis Sport MM90 w/HSC used? Thanks for all your help!

Chad

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, the Sport has an ash body. Super Sport is basswood and maple top. The sport also had some different pickup combinations like SSS, HSS, which I don't think the Super Sport ever had. Sports sometimes have pickguards. I'm sure there are people who know a heck of a lot more about the differences than I do.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roburado View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Sport has an ash body. Super Sport is basswood and maple top. The sport also had some different pickup combinations like SSS, HSS, which I don't think the Super Sport ever had. Sports sometimes have pickguards. I'm sure there are people who know a heck of a lot more about the differences than I do.

Thanks, and what is an average used price on one of these? Any reviews on the P90s that come in them?

User Info Menu

Not really sure. I think I've seen some with an asking price of $600 - 700, but I don't really know. I could just be confabulating the whole thing. There are some folks who have recently bought some. So, wait for them to chime in.

As far as the P90s are concerned. Do a search for MM90s here on the forum. There are a number of threads on this very topic, comparisons to the humbuckers, etc. There were even some with sound clips, IIRC.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Sport is a great guitar. If memory serves, all of the ones with MM90's were made after they stopped putting pickguards on them.

I've not personally tried the MM90 version, but I have two sports, HH and SSS. They are really worth checking out.

$600-700 sounds about right for the ones I've seen offered (which is an absolute bargain)
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

an mm90 sport is a little known amazing guitar !!!!! i am very suprised it's not still a current model . they are killer. i REALLY like the hardtails.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

I will own a Sport. Maybe two.

User Info Menu

I have a Sport with the MM90s and it is GREAT. The pickup system is stone quite on stage and they have tone for days. Played mine this weekend in a duo set and it was fantastic.

Don't let the MM90s fool you, I get plenty of sound and all the harmonics I want. I have an Esquire and the Sport and play the Sport all the time.

User Info Menu

I kinda want a hardtail sport, as a LP substitute. I love how they look without the binding...

Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer - Satin Black
    Custom Explorer - White

Saving for the perfect Silo

Vox AD50

User Info Menu

Yeah. Super cool without binding. Plus, you get the color going all the way around the guitar rather than having it just on the top (with a black back) like on the ASS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tommyindelaware View Post
    an mm90 sport is a little known amazing guitar !!!!! i am very suprised it's not still a current model . they are killer.
    I really needed to read that.I just sold my mm90 sport

...still it aint so bad...my new gigging partner has it and he is smitten

and i got ball vouchers again.woot! woot!

Komp
    Bongo 4H (Ice Blue)
    Cutlass Bass (Ivory white/maple)

User Info Menu

Too bad these aren't made anymore! They are made of a solid chunk of ash, hence the incredible sustain quality of the guitar. The MM90's are more responsive pickups than the original P90's that Gibson made. This guitar really is a true cross between a Telecaster & a Les Paul Junior. The patented silent circuit makes this guitar a dream in the studio. I play mine through a 65 Blonde Blackface Deluxe Reverb & nothing compares to it. This guitar is the BOMB! If wishes were fishes, everyone would have one of these.

User Info Menu

Does the Sport have a flat back or the belly carve of the SS?

User Info Menu

Good question. I think it's got the carve in it, although to tell you the truth, I can't remember.

How bad is that!!?
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey