Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Most versatile MusicMan...

User Info Menu

Most versatile MusicMan...

What is the most versatile MM? And what is each guitar's individual strengths?
    ...and on the 8th Day...God created Music Man Guitars...I love God.

User Info Menu

Cool

It's probably not fair for me to post since I haven't played all the MM guitars.

But I'll put my 2 cents in for the Axis Super Sport. You can get great humbucker rock from high gain modern to classic 70's with it, get good Tele type tones as well as good Strat type tones. Also it's a nice playing guitar.

If you can live without a Floyd Rose, it's a hard guitar to beat.

User Info Menu

Has to be the Steve Morse without a doubt. It has the most different pickup combinations, as well as the fact that it can be ordered with a Floyd Rose trem. The stock version has a stop bar tail piece.

I personally don't care for the tone of the bridge humbucker, but it is definately the most versitile.

User Info Menu

Just for fun I figured out that my piezo silo with EMG's and my switching system has 23 different pickup combinations.
    They are:
    With the five way switch
    _H__
    _HS_
    __S_
    __SS
    ___S
    The Bridge activation switch adds
    _HSS
    _H_S
    Then the push pull volume changes the neck pup to a humbucker adding to the five way
    __SH
    ___H
    The bridge activation and the push pull together give me
    _HSH
    _H_H
    Then I could add the piezo to any of these to get
    PH__
    PHS_
    P_S_
    P_SS
    P__S
    PHSS
    PH_S
    P_SH
    P__H
    PHSH
    PH_H
    Or the piezo by itself
    P___
    I should get a life
    Piezo Silo with EMG's

User Info Menu

Okay, I vote for Norm's custom... Norm Wins!!

User Info Menu

I would vote for Norm's custom. You must look like a River dancer trying to find your pup selection on stage! LOL....

Versatile? I think you are still having problems deciding on which one to pick. It is a tough decision. You can follow what I told you before and see what happens.

For me, the Petrucci. I have two and they do what I want. What exactly do you want to do? I have one tuned to dropped D and the other 1/2 step down. Both work wonderfully for me.

I have tried the Axis....that is a smoking axe for sure. I just did not like the maple neck. Not that the neck itself was bad, I just prefer rosewood. I must say, that the Axis can really do any style of music you may be into. I have seen it in rock, metal, country and blues players hands. I cannot recall seeing the other models in all those categories. So, the Axis in all fairness would be a very versatile guitar in my opinion.

The Morse guitar....equally as versatile.

Try them all if you can. Try them 100 times each if need be. You will know which one you like. Let your "ears" see and you hands feel to help you make your decision. Then you will have to post "What color should I get?" next....lol Good luck.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Holy Jeebus! That's crazy! a 3 way switch is enough for me lol....I mean I DO have hands!
    Congress is the opposite of Progress.