Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal

Thread: trem springs...... how to?

User Info Menu

trem springs...... how to?

I just got my JP6.. and am wondering about the trem springs.

if i hold the guitar vertical, with the headstock on top...

| | | <----- this is what i have now.

what's the difference between these settings?
    | |

| | |

/ | \

|||||

please help! I've been wondering why some guitars these different settings. what is the general rule of thumb?

more spring = more tension in strings?
    what does the angled springs do?
    angled spring have greater tension?

I'm sure there are others who wonder the same. If you understand the black magic of the spring positions... please enlighten us.
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson
    a no name flamenco circa 1960 (please PM me if you are familiar with MIM guitars from that era)

kevin is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Senior Member

User Info Menu

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...iguration.html

you'll find what your looking for here, the search function has magical powers as well
    A NEW ERA IS HERE!!! HUMM-BABY POR VIDA

User Info Menu

No magic. Each consecutive configuration adds more overall spring tension.

User Info Menu

/|\ has more tension then | | | ?
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson
    a no name flamenco circa 1960 (please PM me if you are familiar with MIM guitars from that era)

User Info Menu

also, why decrease the number of springs when using 9's?

| | | with 10's ..... since 9's require less "counter weight", thus only 2 spring?

what would happen if i use only 2 springs with 10's? i would have to screw the claw in very far?
    Last edited by wagnerite; 10-31-2007 at 04:11 PM.
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerite View Post
    /|\ has more tension then | | | ?
    The outer springs are stretched further, so, yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerite View Post
    also, why decrease the number of springs when using 9's?

| | | with 10's ..... since 9's require less "counter weight", thus only 2 spring?

what would happen if i use only 2 springs with 10's? i would have to screw the claw in very far?
    Yep. I have one of my non EBMMs set up with 10's and two springs like / \ and had to screw the claw way in. There's no problem if you wanna go back to three, just wind out the claw, being careful not to strip the thread in the wood. The idea of having less springs on lighter guages of strings is that the lighter strings have less tension at pitch so need less springs. If you went from 10 to 9's and left 3 springs on, you'd have to make major claw adjustments. Taking a spring off means only minor claw adjustments. It really all comes down to personal taste. Some people like the whammy to be heavey, others lite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sim View Post
    Yep. I have one of my non EBMMs set up with 10's and two springs like / \ and had to screw the claw way in. There's no problem if you wanna go back to three, just wind out the claw, being careful not to strip the thread in the wood. The idea of having less springs on lighter guages of strings is that the lighter strings have less tension at pitch so need less springs. If you went from 10 to 9's and left 3 springs on, you'd have to make major claw adjustments. Taking a spring off means only minor claw adjustments. It really all comes down to personal taste. Some people like the whammy to be heavey, others lite.
    And some like them locked down and loaded with springs.

I never mess with claw screws, for fear of stripping the hole or splitting the wood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by candid_x View Post
    And some like them locked down and loaded with springs.

I never mess with claw screws, for fear of stripping the hole or splitting the wood.
    Me neither. My JP is set stock which is great tension in the bridge, and my other floyd-equipped guitars are all comparable.
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger