Axis Capo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBMM necks

User Info Menu

EBMM necks

Why the MM necks are so great (especially luke and JP)? Playable AND comfortable. All Ibanez and Jackson necks that I've tryed were extremely playable but not comfortable at all, there was no support for the hand.

Where is the trick?

User Info Menu

How about Axis? Superb feel.
    An amazing neck indeed.
    EBMM AXIS Translucent Gold G29808, DOB 9/13/05

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Colex View Post
    Why the MM necks are so great (especially luke and JP)? Playable AND comfortable. All Ibanez and Jackson necks that I've tryed were extremely playable but not comfortable at all, there was no support for the hand.
    +1

I remember the first time I picked up an EBMM when I was working in a music store in the 1990's:
    All of the necks felt like they had already been 'played in', especially the EVH model (sorry, I HAVE to say that, but please don't dive into this topic) and the Luke

All the other necks from the aforementioned brands just felt new and needed the usual getting used to.

I wonder why it took me so long to purchase my first (surely not my last) EBMM guitar...???

But I just don't know if there's a 'trick':
    maybe they just listen close enough to their customers (and related artists) what they really want?

User Info Menu

I remember the first time I picked up an EBMM when I was working in a music store in the 1990's
    Exactly! I remember my first trial of an EVH model and it was like....WOW! Just an amazing feeling neck that continues today with every model!
    Luke III BFR Tume
    Luke III BFR Hazel burst quilt

User Info Menu

I think it's because they are a mix of modern and classic. They're not so huge like a lot of rounder necks, but not so wide and flat like the 80s necks were, or the Wizard from Ibanez to where they hurt the sides of your hands.

Plus... people really like the unfinished neck, as evident by the response to the BFRs having a finished neck. But, then people play it and don't seem to mind... which has a lot to do with that mix I was talking about. Even when flat and thin... they're still balanced better than most.

I played a friend's Tom Anderson the other day. Fantastic guitar. Plays like butter... the neck? SO SMALL. The string spacing seemed way too close. Now, the dimensions are probably not much different than any other smallish neck, but something about the profile made the thing seem like a toothpick. At the same time... so many people like the Anderson necks so... it really has a lot to do with preference. People who love EB necks... tend to start beginning to have trouble liking anything else. LOL
    Kevin Wale

2010 Barolo JPX7 S/N F27478 DOB 9/30/10
    2008 Amethest Burst BFR JP6 S/N G42261 DOB 4-21-08
    2002 Desert Gold JP7 with piezo and matching headstock STOLEN S/N F07214(thought by police to be in Jaurez)
    2007 Desert Gold JP7 with piezo and matching headstock STOLEN S/N F19939(sold by Guitar Center... now in Europe and not coming home)

www.reverbnation.com/bipolarecho
    www.myspace.com/bipolarecho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8BBQDQO3k

User Info Menu

Yesiree - the neck seem to be one of the main factors in the "superbness" of EB guitars.
    I have so fallen in love with the neck on my BCB AL - which seemed to me to be somilar to the axis neck.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

i have a jp6 and a early 90's jackson. i still prefer the jackson neck... guess i'll be banned from this forum forever now.
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson
    a no name flamenco circa 1960 (please PM me if you are familiar with MIM guitars from that era)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerite View Post
    i have a jp6 and a early 90's jackson. i still prefer the jackson neck... guess i'll be banned from this forum forever now.
    Naw. Each to their own and each has it's own thing.

I don't know why it took me so long to wind up with a Special, 5 years after trying one and being totally knocked out by the feel of the neck. I was pretty locked into G&L's at the time, maybe that's why.

There's a lot of little details that eventually got me hooked. That modest little headstock, for one. It may not seem like a big deal, but it's amazing how clumsy that little bit of extra wood at the end of a neck is, and it invariably gets banged around when tuning or moving around on a cramped stage or rehearsal space. No dings on my Ball headstocks though.

Then the 10" radius. What made them go with that rather than the more common 9.5-12-15 radii? The slightly taller fret-wire... just perfect for me. The comfortable C carve, the natural woody oil finish.... it simply can't get any better for me.

The studio has lots of high end guitars hanging around. I pick one up from time to time, but they never hold my interest, and I'm always glad to get my mitts around my balls again.

User Info Menu

the necks are just super i love my lukes but my axis neck is the best! there i said it
    Endorsed by Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars USA.
    Featured on the music man Artist page: http://www.music-man.com/artists/dean-wells.html
    Custom Reflex (emerald green sparkle burst/ebony roasted neck)
    25th Anniversary Ernie Ball quilt.
    Reflex/GameChanger Maple neck HSH
    BFR LUKE Emerald Burst Flame top
    LUKE pearl blue
    REFLEX- Maple Neck White/Black

Want list Steve Morse Y2D Blue
    Armada Black burst.

my band TERAMAZE
    www.teramaze.com.au
    My production page
    www.dwellsmusic.com

User Info Menu

The single two best guitars that I've ever played are my Ibanez Jem and my EBMM Petrucci.

Both necks are perfect to me. Like a glove, man.
    MySpace

Pearl Red Burst JP6 fully loaded born on 5/24/07.
    White Luke w/ Matching Headstock born 10/11/07.

User Info Menu

I think it has to do with the smaller width coupled with just enough "meat" to hang on to on the axis necks....so damn comfortable, and the almost raw wood is so sensual. I am totally hooked. My other guitars are just no fun anymore. DAMN YOU, for making such addictive necks.
    MUSIC MAN AUTHORIZED DEALER
    check it out! http://www.yeoldemusicshop.com/

Trans Orange Quilt ASS Trem
    Red Quilt ASS w/Rosewood
    Pacific Blue Burst Axis
    White Sparkle Sterling 4H
    Pearl Blue Sterling 4HS
    Hand built Bilco Amplification
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Ceriatone Overtone Special (Dumble Clone)

User Info Menu

No trick at all!
    It's simple.
    EBMM necks are the only ones sent straight to us from heaven.
    John Petrucci's worst nightmare is picking so fast that he ends up playing one continuous note.

My Baby: EBMM JP Sig. 6-String in Mystic Dream Matching HS!
    Born on January 17, 2007!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wishlist: BFR JP In Bahama Blueburst or PurpleBurst
    White Silo Spec!!

User Info Menu

amen
    MUSIC MAN AUTHORIZED DEALER
    check it out! http://www.yeoldemusicshop.com/

Trans Orange Quilt ASS Trem
    Red Quilt ASS w/Rosewood
    Pacific Blue Burst Axis
    White Sparkle Sterling 4H
    Pearl Blue Sterling 4HS
    Hand built Bilco Amplification
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Ceriatone Overtone Special (Dumble Clone)

User Info Menu

they sure are the BEST necks.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

best lefty necks ever!!!
    Lefty JP6 BFR Cherryburst (Born 12-30-09)