Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one should I get? (Your call..)

User Info Menu

Which one should I get? (Your call..)

Howdy ho guys,

I'm gonna be ordering a ball soon! YIPPEEE!
    I have no clue which one to get! Booo!

I like to play all styles of music, but my main idols are John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Jimmy Page. I like the sound of humbuckers best, and I really want a guitar with piezo. I'm not quite a shredder myself, though I pretend. I play through a Mesa Boogie Triaxis 2.0, a Mesa 2:90, and a Marshall 1960 cab. I want a guitar that looks kickass, and plays kickass, obviously why I choose EBMM. So I am now between:

JP6- loaded
    JP7- loaded
    Silhouette- loaded

So my question to you is, which one should I get? Your vote actually counts. Because I'm so on the fence, I just need a little nudge. So, respond with which one I should get, which color, and why.

This could get fun...I hope it does
    Last edited by Pittman75; 11-26-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    Blue Dawn Luke- 10/19/07

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    The bar code illustrates exactly what we are up to.....CAD design.....cnc routing hand spraying robot buffing hand sanding hand fret dressing hand assembly hand set up...WE use technology to deliver a better guitar and keep the costs down and use the hands and human feel to keep it real

User Info Menu

JP 7 loaded.

User Info Menu

Go for a loaded JP6!
    I'd only go for the JP7 if you're sure you want a seven-string and it doesn't seem like you are. To be honest I've never played a Silo, and I'm confident that they're great, but I can definitely vouch for the JP. The body is supremely comfortable, the bridge is phenomenal, the neck is unbeatable and it sounds like a slice of heaven. (I guess I'm a bit biased).
    As for color, if you're willing to pay the upgrade to get Mystic Dream, I would definitely go for that. You said you wanted an awesome color and MD fits that perfectly. Musicians will compliment you on the JP's tone but everybody will compliment you on your color-changing guitar.
    You might want to wait a bit and see if the 2008 LE color is right for you.
    If neither of those work, than my color of choice would be: any of them. That's right. They are all awesome.
    Good luck with your purchase, you're going to love whatever ball you get.
    Greenwizard
    John Petrucci's worst nightmare is picking so fast that he ends up playing one continuous note.

My Baby: EBMM JP Sig. 6-String in Mystic Dream Matching HS!
    Born on January 17, 2007!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wishlist: BFR JP In Bahama Blueburst or PurpleBurst
    White Silo Spec!!

User Info Menu

Silhouette!
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Silo! its the" I can do it all Guitar!!!!"
    i am really missing the Silo from my Herd! but i will get another i do believe in
    Root beer Sparkle with a piezo then she's REALLY made for the stage!
    i really miss my piezo equipped guitar since i sold her for more Ballz so the silo being so versatile is an obvious choice for the piezo me thinks!
    Lonney B

12/27/01 EB/MM "Albert Lee" SILVER SPARKLEw/Matching Headstock HARDTAIL (1 of 1)

User Info Menu

My process of elmination.

You need a 7 String?
    Pet 7

Is maple fretboard important?
    SiLO

Floating vs lowers pitch only trem?
    Take your pick

Fretboard thickness
    The SiLO is a little thicker. After switching back and forth between the two guitars I find myself saying, "Hey this isn't the guitar I was just playing!"

Out of the box I like the Pet pups better. When all is said and done I like the EMG's on my SiLOs better.

I wish I could have helped.
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette

User Info Menu

I say the JP6. The peizo's on the JP's sound great. Over all its a great guitar! As Greenwizard said... the only reason to get a JP7 would be to play a song that requires a 7 string. Mystic Dream, Red Pearl Burst, or the 2007 LE colours are amazing, just check out the photos on the web! MD is the most eye catching since it changes between about 4 colors... but it costs you too. RPB is a standard color that is loved, doesn't cost extra and looks great. And since your idol is Petrucci.... why not use his guitar?

All three are amazing guitars, I'm hoping to add an extra one to my collection, but saddly money is a bit short on my end. Just make sure since your dealing with a fairly expensive guitar, that it really is what you want. Play each of them a few times and go back and forth till you find the one that fits you!

User Info Menu

I'd say the Silo (not the Special). It's a jack of all trades guitar, and it can cover a wide range of tones and musical styles. Also, it's H-S-H loaded, and with the 5 way switch, there's nothing it can't handle.

I'm partial to Carbon Blue Pearl. It looks awesome with a white pearloid or abalone pickguard. But, I don't think I've come across a Silo color that I don't like.

I've never played a JP, so I can't say much of anything about them.
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

if you can afford it go with the BFR JP6.you will not be disappointed!
    BFR JP6 Bahama Blue Burst
    25TH Anniversary Quilt,maple neck with tremolo.

IRISH by the grace of God

User Info Menu

Since you're in Mass you should ring up fellow Ernie Ball Music Man Knucklehead, Pete DuBaldo, at DuBaldo Music Center and go play them. Then decide for yourself. You won't find a nicer guy.

Welcome to the new DuBaldo Music Center website!
    -Ben

User Info Menu

Silhouette

User Info Menu

axis
    MUSIC MAN AUTHORIZED DEALER
    check it out! http://www.yeoldemusicshop.com/

Trans Orange Quilt ASS Trem
    Red Quilt ASS w/Rosewood
    Pacific Blue Burst Axis
    White Sparkle Sterling 4H
    Pearl Blue Sterling 4HS
    Hand built Bilco Amplification
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Ceriatone Overtone Special (Dumble Clone)

User Info Menu

I find the Silhouette HSH w/ piezo tremolo to give the most pickup switching options, and therefore be "the most versatile" I think that a black on black w/ rosewood Silhouette is simply badass, although Candy Red w/ Black is right up there...

My #1 is a JP6 w/ piezo, simply because I like the slightly wider string spacing and flatter fretboard radius.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

That Black on Black is badass indeed! Pittman, you should go check's Pete Dubaldo's store out...he's got a VERY nice selection and he's in your neck of the woods!
    MUSIC MAN AUTHORIZED DEALER
    check it out! http://www.yeoldemusicshop.com/

Trans Orange Quilt ASS Trem
    Red Quilt ASS w/Rosewood
    Pacific Blue Burst Axis
    White Sparkle Sterling 4H
    Pearl Blue Sterling 4HS
    Hand built Bilco Amplification
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Ceriatone Overtone Special (Dumble Clone)

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, keep it up. And yes, I know of Pete. He has helped me a TON before. great guy.

And for the heads up, no MD colors on the JP. 2 friends who I play with have them, so it would be too similar. I want it to pop out, so if I go with the JP im thinking the Rootbeer Burst 08 LE or something like Desert Gold, something that will really burn 'yer cornea
    Blue Dawn Luke- 10/19/07

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    The bar code illustrates exactly what we are up to.....CAD design.....cnc routing hand spraying robot buffing hand sanding hand fret dressing hand assembly hand set up...WE use technology to deliver a better guitar and keep the costs down and use the hands and human feel to keep it real