Volt Power Supply

Thread: Any commercially Available Substitute for Candy Red?

User Info Menu

Question Any commercially Available Substitute for Candy Red?

Howdy folks..

I have me a candy red Luke. Its got a chip in the finish ( swear I don't know how it got there) about a quarter inch around thats all the way to the bare wood. I really wouldn't mind it so much but it sticks out because theres no other 'battle scars'.

I thought to call customer service to maybe see if they would send me a little sample vial of the stuff but that seems a lot just for a few ounces.

So..does anybody know of any widely commercially available enamel (in the US)...maybe even a particular nail polish color, that'll be a real close match to EBMM's candy red?

Thanks..much obliged

User Info Menu

Honestly half the touch ups look worse than the actual battle scar. Better just to learn to live with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yesandno View Post
    Howdy folks..

I have me a candy red Luke. Its got a chip in the finish ( swear I don't know how it got there) about a quarter inch around thats all the way to the bare wood. I really wouldn't mind it so much but it sticks out because theres no other 'battle scars'.

I thought to call customer service to maybe see if they would send me a little sample vial of the stuff but that seems a lot just for a few ounces.

So..does anybody know of any widely commercially available enamel (in the US)...maybe even a particular nail polish color, that'll be a real close match to EBMM's candy red?

Thanks..much obliged
    You could try an auto store such as Pep Boys or Autozone. Anywhere that has touch up paint. I know Pep Boys carries a variety of colors.

-Phil

User Info Menu

Buy nail polish. Seriously.

Take your guitar into a place that sells beauty products.
    MySpace

Pearl Red Burst JP6 fully loaded born on 5/24/07.
    White Luke w/ Matching Headstock born 10/11/07.

User Info Menu

I got my Bongo5 from the Forum and Lucas shipped it with "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" NG GM 498 Medium Red Met. 44 WA408G General Motors. He used for the "ever so prone to get dented if you're not too careful" Bongo neck top. The match works great BUT the color on the Bongo neck is darker than the rest of the Candy Red Bongo so don't use this color for your Luke. The touch up paint is super close to the darker than Candy Red neck color. The touch up paint container is pretty cool. It comes with both a roller ball tip and a brush.

I'd spring for the real stuff from EBMM "for a everything else is mint" Luke.

Todd
    StingRay 4 H Black
    Albert Lee Translucent Orange, Black Pickguard, MM90s, piezo
    Rosewood Axis - HH
    Axis Super Sport SSH Black/Shell
    Silhouette Bass BFR Rosewood neck, Vintage Sunburst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MMTODD View Post
    I'd spring for the real stuff from EBMM "for a everything else is mint" Luke.
    Wise words, thats what l'd do. (thats if EBMM do sell that kind of stuff.) If not leave it.

Scott.
    Limited edition True Gold Luke On order - For a third time, thanks Colin
    Dargie Delight II Luke with matching headstock Once again, thanks Colin.
    Ernie Ball BFR Luke (Bahama Blue) AWESOME - Thanks Colin.
    Ernie Ball Luke 1 (that blue color)
    Rivera Knucklehead
    Rivera Bonehead

http://www.guitarplanet.com.au/ Australia's best Musicman dealer.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the recommendations

I understand the 'just leave it' thing. Its just that it shouts at you...."lookee, right here..big chip in paint".

If it was a scratch or ding, it wouldn't bother me. But the bare wood really stands out. I'm real careful about my guitars. The weird thing is, I had it out playing it in my living room. It was fine. I carefully placed it in its case...iow, I didn't wack it or anything. Later I took it out and there it was...a big chip of paint gone.

I mean, I'm not that nutso about it. Its been like that for quite a while already.

I was at a gig and the bass player had one of these cheap three legged stands that you hang the guitar on. If you just look at it, it'll fall over . Sure enough , it does and his tuner keys wacks my Luke in the neck and puts a little depression in the fretboard and chinks one of the frets. I had to buff the fret so the string would'nt catch on it. Now THAT pissed me off.