Strap on your style
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrucci Vs. JEM

User Info Menu

Petrucci Vs. JEM

Now, I know this is an EBMM forum, so I don't know how appropriate bringing up a JEM in general is, but this is something I wish to discuss very much.

I have narrowed down my buying choices to a Petrucci or a JEM. I would like to know the most drastic differences between the two, because I have tried both and like them equally.
    Musicman Luke Dargie Delight
    Musicman Stingray 5 Orange Sunburst Thing
    Musicman John Petrucci BFR Ruby Burst (born on 1/03/08)
    Musicman Steve Morse Blue (born 7/25/09)

User Info Menu

It's really got to be down to what you perceive to be the better guitar for you.

I've not played either guitar, but I would think that the EBMM will be a higher quality, american made guitar.
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

jem rubbish over rated played one the other day JP absolutely brilliant craftmanship
    case sold!
    Endorsed by Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars USA.
    Featured on the music man Artist page: http://www.music-man.com/artists/dean-wells.html
    Custom Reflex (emerald green sparkle burst/ebony roasted neck)
    25th Anniversary Ernie Ball quilt.
    Reflex/GameChanger Maple neck HSH
    BFR LUKE Emerald Burst Flame top
    LUKE pearl blue
    REFLEX- Maple Neck White/Black

Want list Steve Morse Y2D Blue
    Armada Black burst.

my band TERAMAZE
    www.teramaze.com.au
    My production page
    www.dwellsmusic.com

User Info Menu

I've never tried the JEM but do own a JP and couldn't be more happy. Build quality, neck feel, arm scoop, trem, piezo---all top notch. There's not one thing you have to do or change to this instrument to make it playable. In other words, if JP where playing a concert in my town and didn't have his guitars, all he'd have to do is grab mine and play. It is a true pro instrument that you don't have to tweak (unless you play w/ a different string gauge) and it's designed and made in the USA. Can't beat that.
    Black Luke II

User Info Menu

I had both... the JP6 fully loaded wins hands down. I'd buy the JP6 still if only because of the forearm scoop and compensated nut.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm an EBMM convert. The old JEM77VWHs with the ebony boards were still worth considering. But Ibeenhad chickened out and went to rosewood.

For that reason alone, I'd forego the JEM.

User Info Menu

well, which one did John pick?
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I have tried both and like them equally.
    I think if you like them both equally as instruments, then I suppose, as an musician, I would be looking at things like reliability and ease of use in the broader sense of the word.

When looking at guitars, I want something that is reliable, and easy to use. I don't want to have to do too much to maintain the guitar, and as I change strings often, I want that to be damn easy too. Versatility is a huge bonus too.

With the JP, I have an amazing guitar, that is easy to maintain, it is extremely reliable, and a joy to play. Aesthetically, it is quite wonderful too. Sooo...if the Ibby has all this too, then flip a coin, if it comes 2nd in any of these categories, then get the JP. I know where my money would be going, but its not my money...
    PUNKmag on facebook

My Balls:

• FULLY LOADED AESTHETIC GOD JP6 MYSTIC DREAM - G37536 - BORN 17 OCTOBER 2007
    • NO NONSENSE RIP YA FACE OFF RADIANCE RED LUKE G35457 23rd APRIL 2007
    • A FRESH SET OF ERNIE BALL SUPER SLINKYS 9-42

User Info Menu

The Petrucci trem, how close does it come to a Floyd Rose in terms of range? To me it's very important to be able to make squealing noises with a FR, that's the only reason the JEM is still kept in running with the incredibly awesome JP.

User Info Menu

The Petrucci trem, how close does it come to a Floyd Rose in terms of range? To me it's very important to be able to make squealing noises with a FR, that's the only reason the JEM is still kept in running with the incredibly awesome JP.
    If you listen to Dream theater's latest album, at the end of the solo for Constant Motion, he does a huge dive bomb and raise. I've had floyd's and JP's definetely hits the range. Well, according to my ears anyway.
    Lefty JP6 BFR Cherryburst (Born 12-30-09)

User Info Menu

Sweet, haha, I think the tie breaker has just been broken.

Does Musicians Friend sell the JP6 with all the whistles and bells? I want the whole deal, inlays, piezo, matching head stock, mystic dream finish.

User Info Menu

I've had a 1989 JEM 777 VBK for 2 years. A great instrument (it was one of the first runs, mind you, Ibanez' necks, the craftmanship and the tremolos have sliped quite badly n the last couple of years...)

BUT, this is nowhere near a JP. With a JP you get a guitar that has a sound, playability and build quality you'd never be able to get buying a stock Ibanez Jem (I mean, it's no secret that Steve Vai's Jems are a not "quite" stock). I loved my Jem, sold it, and really never look back to it.

Considering the trem question - it's very wide, is more stable than a new Ibanez trem (EDGE-Pro I believe), and there are no fine tuners - your hand can rest on your trem block easily without running into something. AND, changing strings is a bliss with a JP after you've done it with floating FR-Style tremolos.

In short, my advice - go the JP. Considering they are the same price range (at least here in Europe) there is not even a choice to make. A stock Jem is really not even in the same class as a PET.
    Last edited by D.K.; 12-05-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    90267 EBMM Silhouette SSS Natural Non-Trem 6-bolt, born 02-05-1990
    95857 EBMM Steve Morse Blueburst Stoptail, born 26-08-94

0374 Ron Kirn Barn Buster, born 11-10

2007 Tokai ULS-150Q wine red

2004 Siggi Braun Custom Shop "Brunnhild" SSH Floyd Rose

2008 Guerilla M-SR 7 FR Gash Longbow 7-String, 27'' scale

Takamine Hirade TH 5 (classical), born 04

User Info Menu

The trem on the JP6 is seriously the LAST thing you need to worry about...

User Info Menu

Please dont use the VS...its a pet peeve of mine. It isnt war or a boxing match We are talking about two fine guitars "Or" works better for me..thanks
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

The last Jem I tried was one of the white ones. I liked the sound a heck of a lot. Of course, you get that single coil in the middle too.

My choice: JP6 all the way. But...what else is anyone on this board going to say? Most people on this board are fanatics about EBMMs.

Of course, much has been said about how great the JP6 is in general. Let's talk about the company that stands behind the instrument. I think EBMM customer service is really second to none in this industry. Sure, if you order an instrument from scratch (i.e., the dealer hasn't already ordered one with the exact specifications you want), it will take several months (about 6) to get your guitar. So, it might take a while unless you buy from a dealer's stock. However, once you have the guitar, EBMM customer service will really take care of you. If you have a problem, bring the problem to your dealer's attention. If your dealer can't help, well, EBMM customer service will. They're very responsive.

Here are my two customer service experiences:

1. I have a 20th Anniversary Silhouette. The crappy guitar cord I used broke. The tip remained in the guitar's output jack. I posted here in the forum asking what I ought to do about it, asking if there was an easy fix, should I bring to a tech, should I send the guitar to EBMM to have them fix it, etc. The advice I got was to have EBMM send me a new jack, and Sterling Ball himself advised me NOT to send the guitar back to EBMM and to have the guitar repaired locally. So, that's what I did. Dan McPherson from customer service and I corresponded through e-mail. He sent me one jack, which was not the correct one. I e-mailed him to inform him that it was the wrong one. Then, he promptly sent me the right one. Then, I asked Dan if he wanted me to send the parts (the old jack and the "wrong" jack) back to him. Dan said that he'd send me a couple of EBMM T-shirts if I did. So, I sent them back. What did I pay for parts, T-shirts, and a few complimentary EBMM stickers? Not a thing. I paid a couple of bucks for an envelope and postage, and I paid the repair guy. That's it.

2. I bought a used Silhouette Special. It was set-up weird. I posted here about it. I got great advice from the repair department at EBMM, and they helped me get it set up right. Cost to me? No cost at all for helping me with a guitar whose warranty had expired years before.

Plus, when you buy an EBMM and become part of this forum, you become a member of a little family. This family is a great source of advice regarding your EBMM guitars, basses, etc. Plus, EBMM puts on great parties. These have been happening for the past couple of years. Cost to attend? Airfare, lodging, other transportation costs (e.g., taxi, rental car), and any incidental expenses you may incur outside of EBMM-sponsored events. That's it. Just show up, and you'll get to see some nice guitars, basses, etc. We've had a party at the Music Man factory. We've had a party at the Ernie Ball factory. We had a party in Dallas. You can do a search on this forum for things like "Open House," "Desert Domination," and "Dallas Bash." You'll see threads discussing what went on at those parties. You'll see pics posted. You'll see links to videos.
    Last edited by roburado; 12-05-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

I agree with D.K. I have a first year green Jem and it is a great instrument. However, I bought another Jem years later which suffered greatly from poor craftsmanship. Sold it pretty quick. I think with EB the quality is completely consistant from guitar to guitar.

Which guitar sounds better? I guess that is preference. I don't have a JP, but I appreciate the classy look of it instead of the flashier JEM look. I love my JEM alot, but I wouldn't play it in public. (in fact, it is in storage at mom's). Granted, they don't make flourescent green ones anymore, but still, I don't want someone instantly thinking of another player when they see the guitar. JP guitars have less of that I think, but maybe I'm wrong.

Buy an Axis.

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17). FS
    REVERB