Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prefer the look of a bare wood headstock?

User Info Menu

Prefer the look of a bare wood headstock?

Am I the only one? Somehow the look of just a bare headstock has always been more appealing to me than the painted ones.
    Musicman Luke Dargie Delight
    Musicman Stingray 5 Orange Sunburst Thing
    Musicman John Petrucci BFR Ruby Burst (born on 1/03/08)
    Musicman Steve Morse Blue (born 7/25/09)

User Info Menu

For me it depends on what color paint is on the guitar...I have both, but I tend prefer matching...especially on my Dargie.
    "Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"

Lefty Axis Super Sport---Natural Quilt
    Lefty Axis Super Sport---Cabernet Pearl / Hard Tail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Mark View Post
    I'm confused. Someone makes a sports car named Steamer? Are they based in Cleveland?

User Info Menu

I use to be matching only but now I'm starting to dig natural/non matching

User Info Menu

Charles,

Yeah, I was a "natural/bare headstock only!

However, with "certain" body style and paint, I actually prefer black or matching (like on my MM Tabacco Burst Axis!!)

User Info Menu

especially on an AL, with nice birdseye, the natural head looks great, but in general i guess i'm a fan of natural.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

natural is the only way to go...unless painted is the only way to goi would have killed for a white jp6 with inlays and piezo. turns out at the time i bought mine there was only one white jp6 in california and it was "loaded" so i could either spend all my money to have a guitar immediately or wait and probably spend more money for less(because its ordered i cant be the poor college student lowballer that i am). not to mention the wait.
    Db||----------AhGpG---------||
    Ab||--------W-------O-------||
    E ||------L-----------N-----||
    B ||----U---------------E---||
    Gb||--A-------------------R-||
    Db||P----------------------!||

User Info Menu

I only like natural headstocks with a maple neck. The light coloured headstock next to a dark rosewood neck doesn't look as good personally.

Blackburst Quilt BFR JP6 G34715 born 2 November 2007
    Silhouette Special 2006 LE G32011 (born sometime in 2006 I'm guessing!)

User Info Menu

purely on an aesthetic level, matching tops and headstocks look better. i think there is this form over function thing for me that makes the natural cooler and percieved as better. its less of an art piece and more of a tool for making art. music man doesnt make classically good looking guitars (read not gibson or fender) but i do always associate them with the highest quality and class regardless of headstock
    Db||----------AhGpG---------||
    Ab||--------W-------O-------||
    E ||------L-----------N-----||
    B ||----U---------------E---||
    Gb||--A-------------------R-||
    Db||P----------------------!||

User Info Menu

Natural for me - I have 2 AL's one natural the other matching.
    Au naturelle any day baby!!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

On Jps Matching, Silo(and specs) and Al's Non matching, Lukes, normally non although the 07 Blue Dawn with matching is amazing looking! axis, depends.

User Info Menu

Depends on the colour, fretboard wood and model for me. I'm not so keen on matching headstocks with solid colours.

There are no rules, just what looks good to you!

Both my Lukes have natural headstocks as I prefer them that way with their particular body colours.

My Axis is matching, as is my Dargie Petrruci. I think I liked them that way because you can still see the wood grain on the Axis, and the Pet is sparkly in the right light.

So I'm 2-2 on my guitars so far
    BFR Luke - Blackburst

User Info Menu

I like a matching hs if the body has a trans finish. With solid finishes, I prefer a natural hs.
    1994 EBMM EVH (Trans Gold)
    2009 EBMM Axis (Black Magic Crystal)
    2012 EBMM Albert Lee HH (Retro Burst)
    2013 EBMM Axis (Black Cherry Burst)
    2016 EBMM Luke III HH (Bodhi Blue)
    2017 EBMM JP16 (Black Lava)
    2018 EBMM JP15 (Sahara Burst)
    2016 Suhr Classic Pro HSS (Sunburst)
    2017 Gibson SG Standard (Pelham Blue)

User Info Menu

Natty headstocks all the way!!!!

Though with guitars like the EVH, Axis, Petrucci & Bongo, they almost require matching to look right. I think that's because the guitars are very original and don't look like your typical strats and such of which most of us are acustomed to seeing natural.
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Unless there's no choice, i.e. my BFR Luke and LE Silo Spec, it's always a natural headstock for me, and a rosewood fretboard...
    Play Ball!!

User Info Menu

its a win/win. the buttercream with the wine colored logos is striking. dare I say it looks like a fancy cake.
    05' LE Albert