Flat Ribbon
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Man Axis w/ Hardtail (Not SuperSport!)

User Info Menu

Music Man Axis w/ Hardtail (Not SuperSport!)

Hello everyone!

I'd like to know when Ernie Ball made the Axis with Hardtail bridge and how much of these where made, which color was avalaible, etc... All infos you have!

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

I know it was a transitional model that they made in between the EVH split and when the Sport/Supersport were made. I've owned two that were 1997 models. I've seen them in trans purple, trans amber, honeyburst, sunburst, trans red. I'm not sure if there were any other colors, but I think just about every color the Axis was available in.

Mine

This one now belongs to forum member DaveB
    Last edited by TonyEVH5150; 01-26-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added pics
    SBMM Cutlass - Seafoam Green
    SBMM Cutlass - Antique White
    SBMM JV60T - Toluca Lake Blue
    EBMM Axis Sport - Glacier Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jul View Post
    I'd like to know when Ernie Ball made the Axis with Hardtail bridge and how much of these where made
    Not enough to go around. Tell me if you know of one for sale.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Thanks TonyEVH5150 for the answer. Do you how long they made it ? 1years? 2years?

The Purple is amazing here!

Because it was not producted a lot, should it have a higher price than a "normal" Axis Floyd ?

Is it like a "collector" ?

User Info Menu

This forum's very own Tim O'Sullivan is something of a conoisseur on the topic of both the EVH and Axis hardtail models. I'm sure he'll be along in time to give you the lowdown on these lovely guitars
    My Guitar

"The Bone" Purple Axis A92953 03/12/97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    Not enough to go around. Tell me if you know of one for sale.
    there is one on Ebay now
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Chtttt!!

User Info Menu

Thanks TonyEVH5150 for the answer. Do you how long they made it ? 1years? 2years?

The Purple is amazing here!

Because it was not producted a lot, should it have a higher price than a "normal" Axis Floyd ?

Is it like a "collector" ?
    I think it was only 1-2 years. Again, both of mine were from 1997, and the one on eBay right now is a 1998 model. I don't know the exact build number.

There weren't that many made, especially in certain colors. I think trans amber was the most common. Honeyburst and trans purple are on the rare side. I think they are a little bit of a collector's item, but it's only differnce from the ASS hardtail is the control configuration.

You'd think they would have a higher price than the current Axis/ASS, but I've been able to get both of mine for under $900 US. They seem to be selling for around $800-1000 US.

User Info Menu

Chtttt!!
    Well dude For $1000.00 BIN if you want it i would grab it ,thats a Fine Lookin Plank and i know i would spank it....Worth every cent!....I almost Lost My Stratus Blue A.S.S because i didnt pull the trigger ....dont make that Mistake!!!! KiLLER Flame top as well!!!!!
    Lonney B

12/27/01 EB/MM "Albert Lee" SILVER SPARKLEw/Matching Headstock HARDTAIL (1 of 1)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    there is one on Ebay now

The one on eBay is listed for US buyers only, though I guess it never hurts to ask . . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    This forum's very own Tim O'Sullivan is something of a conoisseur on the topic of both the EVH and Axis hardtail models. I'm sure he'll be along in time to give you the lowdown on these lovely guitars
    Sit down children, and I shall begin!

The Axis Hardtail is such a great guitar! I have 3 of them, and as far as I know they have only ever been made in red, amber, sunburst and purple. The red I have was made on 5/96, the amber 9/98, and the sunburst 9/97. What is super rare on the Axis hardtail is a rosewood fingerboard. My sunburst has this, and I have only ever seen another rosewood fingerboard on a red example.

I also have a hardtail EVH, which was made on 12/94. There were only approx 600 of these made, 200 in each red, amber and purple. There were a couple of prototypes in sunburst made, but they never made them into production.

The 'Holy Grail' for me would be to find a green Axis hardtail, but I don't think this will ever happen!
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Yes!

We offered the Red, Purple, and Gold in a non trem version starting 1/96

Rosewood boards were not available!

January 97 we offered another option in a non trem Sunburst! (Honey Burst now)

April 97 price list shows all 4 colors and a new rosewood option on all Axis Models.

For most of 97-98 this stayed the same until Jan 99 the non trem Axis was only available with a maple neck and Trans gold only! By 2000 the Supersport arrived and the Non trem Axis was history!

Since Green was not offered at this time it may be tough to find a non trem emerald green Axis! But if you do let me know and I'll take it!

User Info Menu

Jul did you get the PM I sent you?

Here's a picture of my Axis Sport hardtail.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Yes!

April 97 price list shows all 4 colors and a new rosewood option on all Axis Models.

For most of 97-98 this stayed the same until Jan 99 the non trem Axis was only available with a maple neck and Trans gold only! By 2000 the Supersport arrived and the Non trem Axis was history!

Since Green was not offered at this time it may be tough to find a non trem emerald green Axis! But if you do let me know and I'll take it!
    It seems that I have the whole set!

And I will never find a green...........
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Yes!

Derek Thanks for this, I can't help but wonder with the popularity if the Axis Hardtail would make a comeback in '08 ?? Poppa, you tempted ??!?!?

That said I suppose the supersport is pretty close, I really must find one to try, not one in a 300 mile radius - BUmmer!
    The Holy Trinity of Awesome design, tone and magic:

G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst