EBMM Stingray bass blue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drilling the JP6? (ergonomics and 4n4L retentiveness)

User Info Menu

drilling the JP6? (ergonomics and 4n4L retentiveness)

Hi all, haven't posted in a long time--- because i've been doing some actual playing instead of my usual noodling around on the internet.

anyway, I have a few observations i like to make regarding how the guitar is placed, rather, where the guitar is relative to your body.

coming from classical guitar background, i usually rest the guitar on my left leg while my left foot is on a foot stool. it looks really odd, but i play the electric guitar this way as well. to make matters worse, my previous electric guitar was a V shaped guitar. since it doesn't have upper horn (or lower horn for that matter), the strap bolt is actually on the back of the guitar as in the pic below

as if that wasn't bad enough, i am one of those geeks that play the guitar with a very short strap... which cause the guitar to sit really high. I know its not cool, but for some reason, my wrist is more flat. If i play with the guitar in the "low slung" position, i really have to bend my wrist. i just dont see how some of you guys do it, albeit it looks really cool compared to my Urkle style.

however strange the location of the strap bolt is, the main advantages, to me, is that it shifts the entire guitar to the left, which means the upper register to the player's left. since the bolt is to the right (compared to the bolt being on the tip of the upper horn). this makes accessing the upper register really easy.

i'm getting to the EBMM jp-6 part of this dilemma ....

since i've been playing in this unusual position, it has been pretty much impossible for me to play any strat-shaped electric guitars. i know the strat shape is essentially the same as the classical guitar except it has the upper and lower cut aways... but with classical guitar, 15th fret and above is hardly accessed, so where the upper register is located is hardly an issue.

during the last few months, while trying to adjust to the jp6, i've had to make some pretty strange (to me) wrist positions in order to reach the top register. to my body, it seems the entire guitar is not too far to my right. I've been trying to adjust to it, but i am having a very difficult time (can't teach old dogs new tricks).

so i've come up with a "brilliant" idea (brilliant as in Tim the Toolman Taylor) of installing the strap bolt in pretty much the same place as my V. I haven't drilled yet the strap bolt is simply placed where i want to put it.

is it safe to drill here? how long/short of a screw should i use? can i just use the same size thats on the upper horn? i have the NON-PIEZO version of the jp6, so there's no piezo pup switch or piezo routing on my guitar.

ps i just like to say that the jp6 is a great instrument. its obviously well built. all the discomfort i'm experiencing are all due to my personal history with odd shaped guitars and weird playing position... there's nothing wrong with the jp6.
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson
    a no name flamenco circa 1960 (please PM me if you are familiar with MIM guitars from that era)

User Info Menu

Looks like the guitar's gonna nose dive if you put it there... Just make sure you don't mind the "head heaviness" (I hate that).

User Info Menu

you would be crazy to start drilling holes in your JP my friend.it will ruin your guitar.i often use the footstool aswell.why dont you experiment with different seats/stools etc to suit you height body shape etc.
    BFR JP6 Bahama Blue Burst
    25TH Anniversary Quilt,maple neck with tremolo.

IRISH by the grace of God

User Info Menu

You'll ruin the ballance of the guitar completely if you put the strap button there... I'd simply try to adapt to the normal strap pin placement - they're placed where they are for a reason, you know. If all else fails, find a guitar better suited for your appearently unorthodox style.

Cheers

Eske
    "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

Please drill at your own risk.....
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Wagnerite,
    I also started on the classical guitar. When I play electric my style is completely different. I personally recommend that you think of the classical guitar and the electric guitar as two entirely different instruments. Just as you should change your playing style when switching between a trumpet and a tuba, you should develop a new style more suited to electric guitar.
    That's just my advice.
    If you do decide to drill, the worst that could happen is that you drill the hole and then find out it didn't help. I highly recommend you figure out a way of making sure you put the hole in the right spot. Since your proposed position is quite close to the neck plate, maybe you could loosen one of the bolts (the top right one in your picture) and briefly attach the strap there and test for balance (make sure you don't drop the guitar!!!!!!!!).
    Good luck! I personally hope you don't drill but it's your guitar!
    Cheers,
    greenwizard
    John Petrucci's worst nightmare is picking so fast that he ends up playing one continuous note.

My Baby: EBMM JP Sig. 6-String in Mystic Dream Matching HS!
    Born on January 17, 2007!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wishlist: BFR JP In Bahama Blueburst or PurpleBurst
    White Silo Spec!!

User Info Menu

Before you take a drill to your JP6, I'd suggest going out and picking up a roll of blue painter's tape, taping the end of your strap to the area that you are thinking of drilling and trying it out. At least this method is completely reversible.
    1997 Ibanez SC420 BC 1991 Ibanez 540S OL 1998 Taylor 312-CE

User Info Menu

Everything you said seems to match exactly with what John Petrucci does. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the strap on the horn. Mybe you should try a different strap? One that may hold to yourself and keep the guitar at your desired position. Or maybe put something on the back of your guitar that will give it texture and make it stick to your shirt or something like that. But don't drill it, you'll make a mess and if you don't like it afterwards you'll have a hard time selling that guitar.
    Rafael

Silhouette Hardtail Black, Tortoise Pickguard, Rosewood Fretboard, Matching headstock, S.N. G28918 born 7/11/05

User Info Menu

Just remember that it will completely kill your re-sale value... Also if your "modification" doesn't provide the desired effect you are left with a hole in the back...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRalf View Post
    Everything you said seems to match exactly with what John Petrucci does. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the strap on the horn...
    Yeah man, I was thinking the same thing.

User Info Menu

You should have no issues drilling in that location. Looks like you are clear of the pickups and internal wiring since you have no piezo. I agree that you might wind up with headstock dive unless you use a rough backed strap.

Another thing you can try is using the footrest type of thing that JP uses. You've probably seen him do it. He rests the guitar on his left leg much like you do to feel comfortable. Try this and you don't need to drill holes. This of course won't work if you ike to move around while playing.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    Before you take a drill to your JP6, I'd suggest going out and picking up a roll of blue painter's tape, taping the end of your strap to the area that you are thinking of drilling and trying it out. At least this method is completely reversible.
    In addition, if you end up liking that position better and insist on drilling, order a spare neck plate from Ernie Ball and have someone weld an extension to it to attach the strap button on. That way it can be completely reversible if you ever decide to sell it.

Sorry, it's just the engineer in me thinking out loud.
    Last edited by ruso; 03-03-2008 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRalf View Post
    Everything you said seems to match exactly with what John Petrucci does. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the strap on the horn. Mybe you should try a different strap? One that may hold to yourself and keep the guitar at your desired position. Or maybe put something on the back of your guitar that will give it texture and make it stick to your shirt or something like that. But don't drill it, you'll make a mess and if you don't like it afterwards you'll have a hard time selling that guitar.
    John Petrucci uses "glorified foot rests" to put his guitar on one leg in the classical position during solos.
    MySpace

Pearl Red Burst JP6 fully loaded born on 5/24/07.
    White Luke w/ Matching Headstock born 10/11/07.

User Info Menu

AWESOMNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    In addition, if you end up liking that position better and insist on drilling, order a spare neck plate from Ernie Ball and have someone weld an extension to it to attach the strap button on. That way it can be completely reversible if you ever decide to sell it.

Sorry, it's just the engineer in me thinking out loud.
    jp6 - fully UNLOADED
    a jackson
    a no name flamenco circa 1960 (please PM me if you are familiar with MIM guitars from that era)

User Info Menu

Better yet, just unscrew the upper right screw on the neckplate and screw it back in but with a strap button under it. Sometimes the most simple things are the best solutions.