New banner

Thread: the screws of my tremolo are ****ed. u have the same problem?

User Info Menu

the screws of my tremolo are ****ed. u have the same problem?

hi folks!

i tried...as i already wrote in another thread...11's on my john petrucci muman. so i had to ajust my tremolo again. i had to turn the screws that hold the metal plate for the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar. but the screw driver ****ed up the small screw heads. so i had to replace these two screws with other screws from the tool shop.
    do u have the same problem? i just hate it if i want to ajust something and it isnt working with the standard components. in my opinion the screws heads aren' t big and deep enough to make it easier to ajust them.

greez

chumba

User Info Menu

You should've used a different screwdriver. Once you notice you're stripping the screws, you should've stopped.
    MySpace

Pearl Red Burst JP6 fully loaded born on 5/24/07.
    White Luke w/ Matching Headstock born 10/11/07.

User Info Menu

Switch to a Robertson screw head instead of the Phillips. You'll have a much harder time trying to strip 'em
    Last edited by beej; 03-08-2008 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Switch to a Robertson screw head instead of the Phillips. You'll have a much harder time trying to strip 'em
    Ah, Beej, be careful now...Robertsons are the biggest Canadian secret this side of the Avro Arrow.....
    John
    1994 Pinkburst AL
    2000 Amber AXIS
    2004 Graphite SUB 5
    2007 Red AXIS

User Info Menu

An investment every guitar player should make is buying a gunsmith quality screw driver set. And take the time to use the correct sizes!

User Info Menu

The screwdrivers that have a 90 degree bend in them are perfect for adjusting trem claws, I'd highly suggest grabbing a set

Candy Red, Maple Fretboard '97 Silo Special, slightly modified.
    (Pearloid tuner buttons, tortoise pickguard, Motor City Pickups Afwayu)
    Pearl Red Burst Fully Loaded JP6

User Info Menu

Stripped screw heads are always the fault of the wrong sized screwdriver. Learn your lesson and don't let it happen again, young jedi.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chumbawamba View Post
    hi folks!

i tried...as i already wrote in another thread...11's on my john petrucci muman. so i had to ajust my tremolo again. i had to turn the screws that hold the metal plate for the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar. but the screw driver ****ed up the small screw heads. so i had to replace these two screws with other screws from the tool shop.
    do u have the same problem? i just hate it if i want to ajust something and it isnt working with the standard components. in my opinion the screws heads aren' t big and deep enough to make it easier to ajust them.

greez

chumba
    Nope. Never had that problem.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

I'm also guessing you didn't take the tension off the springs first (by pulling back on the trem arm - or spinning it to face backwards ad resting it on your lap to relieve the spring tension).

Makes a BIG difference when the claw has no / little load on it.
    Last edited by Dizzy; 03-09-2008 at 03:33 AM.
    EBMM's :
    2010 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue (#4 of 50)
    2009 BFR JP6 - Dargie II
    2009 BFR JP6 - Cherry Burst (NAMM)
    2009 JP6 - Dargie II (NAMM)
    2009 BFR Rosewood Luke - White Pearl
    2007 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue Burst (MHS)
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Piezo / Hardtail
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Hardtail
    2004 Silhouette Hardtail - White / Rosewood
    2002 JP6 - Silver Sparkle
    1995 EVH - Trans Blue Quilt (NOS)