New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Axis Super Sport Owners

User Info Menu

Axis Super Sport Owners

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a new ball and I want something a little more single coil sounding to add some different color to the band.

My question is does the split pick-ups on the super sport sound strat like when put in the single coil mode on the selector switch? I am looking for a gilmorish/Knopfler kind of sound. I am guessing most people would say get a Silo or a AL but I just love the Axis body shape so much and would love to stick with the axis.

Thanks so much for any input

Tobin
    1991 Ernie Ball EVH Music Man Transred #80134

User Info Menu

Super sport with P90 pups?

User Info Menu

no the humbuckers

User Info Menu

You can get clean enough tones with the ASS HH but i wouldnt call them strat like in the 2nd and 4th positions, good tones though.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

I agree with Rob..awesome pickups....but the A.S.S. HH leans more to a Les Paul coloring than a Strat. Especially the 4th position which reminds me more of Jimmy Page that Mr Gilmour or Mr Knopfler.

To get what you trying to acheive and still have an Axis body...you may want to try the MM90's
    "Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen"

Lefty Axis Super Sport---Natural Quilt
    Lefty Axis Super Sport---Cabernet Pearl / Hard Tail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Mark View Post
    I'm confused. Someone makes a sports car named Steamer? Are they based in Cleveland?

User Info Menu

I have to also agree with the other posts here.

My ASS can't really get a 'typical' single coil sound, which for me is a plus. It's a fuller, fatter sound.

Have you ever checked out a Silo yet? I played one for the first time a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

Good luck in your search
    I'm no longer a guitar player...I'm a guitar holder.

My Ernie Ball Axis plays itself.

User Info Menu

Dude, what about this?

"+imgCaption+"

Axis with some singles. There ya go.
    Good luck,
    darchirnoj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda2 View Post
    You can get clean enough tones with the ASS HH but i wouldnt call them strat like in the 2nd and 4th positions, good tones though.
    gotta agree with Rob on this

if you really want the more traditional tones .... maybe consider a Silo Special or an AL.

happy shopping and cheers always, eh

Joel
    Fan of:
    Beer
    Barbecue
    Dr Z Amps
    EBMM Guitars
    Lizard Leg Effects

User Info Menu

I slap a Humbucker From Hell in the neck positions of all my Axis guitars. It gives me the single coil sound I want, but hotter. I personally don't like the 2 & 4 positions too much. They are good, but not what I need from a clean tone.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

That axis has two singles and a bridge humbucker. It doesn't have the awesome top, but that's ok. It looks pretty cool. I'm not too sure about the history of these particalar model/set-ups are.
    Great price too. Perhaps you can even talk them down.

User Info Menu

Yeah maybe I just need to buy a Silo hey? I just have gotten soooo used to the EVH/Axis body shape. It fits me so well. The Dargie Silo that was mentioned on the forum the other day got me all excited as I got my credit card out and then I saw that it was sold as I read on. lol Oh well.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I need to start looking for Silo!

Tobin

User Info Menu

I love the 2 position with a bit of gain. It gives me my funky hendtix tone with a bit more phatness!!!!!!!!!!

J
    www.myspace.com/gordonsalive
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jonnydubai
    Sub1 HH trem blue
    Silo Special (Metal Flake Green)
    Axis SS (trans orange)
    Fender Richie Kotzen Tele (bronze burst)

ENGL Blackmore 100
    Mesa Roadster 2x12
    Digitech CM-2, Digital Delay
    Morley Bad horsie 2
    Boss Octaver 2

User Info Menu

To get the Knopfler quack you really need the pickups to be closer to each other.

If you love the shape of the Axis, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a Sport SSH or SSS. They're out there (used and NOS) and you can get more typical strat tones from them.