2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: u can see the pieces of wood my mm is made of THROUGH the lack....is that normal?

User Info Menu

u can see the pieces of wood my mm is made of THROUGH the lack....is that normal?

i have a mm fully loaded petrucci in mystic dream.
    the lack is beatuful. but theres one thing that seems to be strange for me:

u can see two straight lines along the body of the guitar. im pretty sure these are the contact-lines between the three parts of wood.

is it normal to see that marks or is it a bad finished music man body?

greez from germany (this explains ma wonderful english)

chumbawamba

User Info Menu

do you have pics so we can see it?
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Several things need to happen first.

1. Take it back to the dealer, if you bought it new, and have them look at it.
    2. Call Customer Service

Posting pics and what not on the forum will only cause speculation and create all kinds of "fixes" and "could be this could be that" without going through the proper channels.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

Chumb -- send me an email (with pictures, please) to nathan@ernieball.com

Well get things figured out!
    Staring contest. You. Me. Now.......

You win. You always do.

User Info Menu

See there...Customer Service to the rescue....you guys/gals are so awesome.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

i bought this guitar new and finally recognized these shinin-through-lines by holdin it against the sunlight.

i thought this could be the marks of two touchin pieces of wood.

i guess it might be difficult to take good pictures of it but i will take em tomarrow and send em to TheStiffness.

im really surprised about this great service! u would never get those services in german forums!

great job!

User Info Menu

I got those on my Luke as well didn't notice until I hold the guitar under a certain angle...

Not a big deal in the end (though was worried in the begining), I can live with those, give the guitar a bit of more character (cause a DD Luke is already a guitar with a lot of character)
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

This is totally normal. You can drench the guitar in 3/4" thick poly if you prefer the seamless plastic look. But the thin coat of paint is what gives the resonance people are looking for. Nitro or poly, thin coat is what counts. So if you can see some grain or seams, that is good, means the finish is nice and thin.
    Last edited by GHWelles; 05-29-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    WONDER DOG

20th Silo, w/trem, Koa top
    JP6 in Graphite Pearl

Cobalts Installed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chumbawamba View Post
    u can see two straight lines along the body of the guitar. im pretty sure these are the contact-lines between the three parts of wood.

is it normal to see that marks or is it a bad finished music man body?
    I have the exact same lines. But this is normal with thin finishes. They will sink into the wood cavities which are wider than the normal grain, exposing the 2 joints. I doubt it's a problem that needsa to be fixed, or rather, much less even a real problem.

This is real proof to what BP says about EBMM not using nitro. That the poly coats they use is thin enough that it doesn't matter.

I think it's great that EBMM doesn't need to ply on thick coats of MD paint to achieve that effect, and preserving the reasonance of the wood. I tapped the body of the JP6 vs a JEM, and the JEM was dead no matter what I did, while the JP6 was sonorous!!!!!
    - Lionel

Vote for your favourite EBMM Model here!

Favourite Ball: JPX7 , May 2010

www.soundclick.com/demioblue

Quote Originally Posted by petruccirocks02 View Post
    C'mon though Lionel, everyone knows that you're a Silo whore. Haha.

User Info Menu

pics??

User Info Menu

I also have this on my JP6, IF I use an angled light and really look for it. It's not a defect. From what I understand, trees don't grow in the shape of JPs, so apparently there was some cutting involved in its construction.
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger

User Info Menu

Just think of it as silk over a pair of great boobs....... it's all good !
    EBMM's :
    2010 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue (#4 of 50)
    2009 BFR JP6 - Dargie II
    2009 BFR JP6 - Cherry Burst (NAMM)
    2009 JP6 - Dargie II (NAMM)
    2009 BFR Rosewood Luke - White Pearl
    2007 BFR JP6 - Bahama Blue Burst (MHS)
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Piezo / Hardtail
    2007 20th Ann. Silhouette - Prem Quilt / Hardtail
    2004 Silhouette Hardtail - White / Rosewood
    2002 JP6 - Silver Sparkle
    1995 EVH - Trans Blue Quilt (NOS)

User Info Menu

hmn i really thought starting a thread like that would be ridiculous in some ways...

but i really have to say that i payed about 3000 for that great instrument.

this would be 4668$ over there! believe it or not but there ebmm guitars are ****ing expensive here in europe.

and thats the normal price for em.

i thought that this is maybe a lil mark ebmm should recognize to fix it in the future.

when u look straight on it u wont see it.

maybe this has been a special unique musicman! =D

hey the24thfret...are u shure the wood of john petruccis trees (in his private yard) really doesnt grow like jp guitars?

im pretty sure.....this would explain why he has so much of em!

ebmm fix it!

it would be cool to send those guys who bought a new and expensive but great musicman guitar ebmm t-shirts or other goodies to calm em!

lol

greez from ger

chumba

User Info Menu

I dont think there's anything wrong with this. If there is a joint cavity, unless you fill the gap up with compound, the paint will sink in in times to come. It always on my Y2D's back when i first got it. So long there is no crank, such sightings are considered normal, IMO.
    jimmy

2009 25th Anniversary BFR All Rosewood Neck #24/25
    2002 Silo Spec SSS Autumn Redburst
    2007 Silo Spec HSS LE 07 Blue Dawn
    2005 SM Y2D Purple Sunset
    2007 AL SSS Cherry Burst
    Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber
    Mesa/Boogie Mark V25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chumbawamba View Post
    believe it or not but there ebmm guitars are ****ing expensive here in europe.

i thought that this is maybe a lil mark ebmm should recognize to fix it in the future.
    Hi chumbawamba,

this topic has been brought up over and over again here in this forum.

Bottom Line is that when you (officially) purchase a product from outside the European Community (EC), you will have to pay a higher price as opposed to the price you would pay in the country of its origin.

There's taxes, customs and transport fees, distributors etc.

That's just the way it is and it's the other way round in the U.S. if they purchase products from abroad.
    Just take German beer for example !!!

Sad but true...

I am from Germany as well and I also had to pay more for my Luke here than I would have paid in the U.S., but that's just how it goes. I don't really mind about that, because I wanted a great guitar, I was willing to pay the price,and now I just go and enjoy my instrument every time I pick it up!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the great community here!

All the best

EBMM L III Starry Night - DOB: Dec 16, 2016
    Tommy's Special Guitars Strat, custom made
    Line 6 Helix LT
    Headrush FRFR- 108 Active Monitor
    Boss Katana 100 1x 12" Combo
    Line6 Relay G30 Wireless Guitar System
    Ernie Ball RPS Super Slinky Strings 0.09- 0.42