BFR Feb 2020
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do u have pics of a real vintage looking petrucci mm?

User Info Menu

do u have pics of a real vintage looking petrucci mm?

i wonder if theres a real worn and vintage looking jp musicman on this planet. most of the owners really take care of their expensive and great music man guitar.

please post pics!

cheers

chumba

User Info Menu

So are you looking for a JP that wasn't taken care of?
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Don't really think they've been around long enough. Look how long Steve Morse has had his guitar for it to start to look worn out.

Candy Red, Maple Fretboard '97 Silo Special, slightly modified.
    (Pearloid tuner buttons, tortoise pickguard, Motor City Pickups Afwayu)
    Pearl Red Burst Fully Loaded JP6

User Info Menu

I was going to comment on this Silo Special's neat fading and worn finish, on the eBay for sale thread, but figured it might be too OT and tick some people off. Poly finishes are practically bullet proof, but they do fade eventually.

ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN SILHOUETTE SPECIAL GUITAR LEFT HND - eBay (item 200228675491 end time Jun-02-08 13:16:47 PDT)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roburado View Post
    So are you looking for a JP that wasn't taken care of?
    Mine are pristine, however not taking care of it isnt what he's after, he means played ones. ask people with sports cars, they are going to have chips from stones etc, same as guitar players who gig are going to get marks etc. Its hazards of the real world.
    Guitars are meant to be played after all. They are technically a tool of the trade however much we attach to them in way of feelings.
    Last edited by dstockden; 06-03-2008 at 02:35 AM.

User Info Menu

So none of you have tried "relicing" your guitars to give them that extra "character" and "vintage vibe".
    Can't believe that as soon as you receive your new BFR you won't immediately attack it with a chisel, leave it out in the rain to rust and start covering it with authentic cigarette burns.
    Call yourselves musicians????

Seriously, I've almost never seen a pic of a beaten up EBMM, we seem to look after them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andynpeters View Post
    I've almost never seen a pic of a beaten up EBMM, we seem to look after them.
    I think there are certain types of guitar players that are like that as there are certain guitars. Fenders can look cool beaten up, Gibsons, not so much, same with the players, i think there is a point though that people get to that if they have a couple of scratches then they are not that bothered about any more, before those couple though people are madly careful, how many pics have you seen here with all the plastic coverings still on the trem plates etc, LOTS! is there any reason to keep it on? not really unless you dont want buckle rash on the plates, but realistically they are parts that can be replaces very cheaply in comparison to a respray.
    One design feature that helps i think we avoiding damage is the headstock, when i had a gazzillion ibanez's all the headstocks had chips in them from being hit when going through doors etc. Not a problem with the EBMM headstock you can sail through doors and tight spaces unhindered! (sods law now dictates that i shall bash one of mine today!)
    Last edited by dstockden; 06-03-2008 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

i wanted to see some pics of a real ****ed up john petrucci, steve morse or luke guitar.

ive never seen such ones out there.

i think that there are guitars that have to look like they were played over the years.....a strat for example.

i mean...a lot of people like vintage lookin guitars and today u can actually buy those artificial aged guitars for a lot of money....

but there seems to be noone who bought a new musicman and really uses them like a tool.

john petrucci himself would never use a scratched mm. he has about 10 to 20 of his signature models on tour.

the way he is using them is strange in my opinion.

there are for example other musicians (like doyle bramhall, snowy white, david gilmour or derek trucks) who are usin only one or maybe two guitars on stage. and that gives em character..in my eyes.

i dont really like it when endorsed musicians use thousand of their guitars on stage....and every guitar costs bout 4000$.

this is ****in me up sometimes.

User Info Menu

I don't think MM lend themselves very well to the relic world. The designs and features, for one, are considerably more modern and innovative, i.e. the shapes, contours and finishes, when compared with Fender planks of the 50's. I have nothing against good ole aged Strats and Teles, but I think the obsession with relic-ing guitars is just a fetish. I wonder how much the owners actually play their guitars as opposed to dreaming of ways to make them look authentically old and used.

User Info Menu

Well, it's in the eye of the beer-holder in my opinion.

David Gilmour's Black strat has seen a fair bit of wear and tear over the years, but that's mainly because he's had it routed for an additional humbucker, installed an XLR output jack, fitted a Kahler trem (and subsequently removed it). But for his other guitars, like the red strat with the EMG's, that's in fairly good condition, given the amount of use it's had. His goldtop LP's are also in pretty fair condition as well. You also need to remember that the black strat is over 30 years old, there haven't been MM's around for that length of time, so you can't really compare the two.

The finishes on EBMM's are pretty hard wearing, so you don't see as much damage to the finsh as you do on older guitars. I haven't seen any of Petrucci's guitars up close, so I don't know what sort of condition they may be in, but they're not that ols anyway, so unless he's gone out of his way to make them look old, it's hard to see how they could reflect 30+ years of playing.

I think there are many people who buy musicman guitars to use them for what they are intended, but when you say using them as a tool, do you mean like a hammer?

We've spent good money buying our guitars, so why not take care of them?
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

Hello

My Morse Signature is 7 years old. I use it constantly ...
    There are some marks (a ding on the body, the bridge saddles are worn, the pickups cover are also worn : I pick too hard it seems ...). If you want to take a look, just follow the link in my signature.
    Tommy's Morse is really vintage. If I remember well, he posts a pic a few months ago.
    I do not like the artificial relicing that F... does. I prefer to have a guitar that has a real history and not fake memories.

User Info Menu

Morse's #1 is also pretty beat up.

JP is a guy who likes things to remain in as pristine a condition as possible. Though I've never seen one of his guitars up close, they all look like they're in good condition. I think that arguably JP has probably put more miles on his JPs than most anyone out there.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

ode to an aging silo

After I played awhile yesterday, I gave "sundown" (in avatar) a good wiping down with a microfiber towel, and cradled her back into the case; then l stood up straight and smiled down at her, noticing subtle signs of my not-always-gentle attention. No major dings or scratches, just passionately played and gracefully aging, embedded with a little piece of my heart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by candid_x View Post
    After I played awhile yesterday, I gave "sundown" (in avatar) a good wiping down with a microfiber towel, and cradled her back into the case; then l stood up straight and smiled down at her, noticing subtle signs of my not-always-gentle attention. No major dings or scratches, just passionately played and gracefully aging, embedded with a little piece of my heart.
    very poetic!

User Info Menu

well, here's a question then: do you suppose that JP has a "Number One" guitar that he treasures over all his other guitars? If you think about guys like Jimmy Page, they had one guitar that suited them for their lives; and they modded the guitar to suit their playing style.

I do know that it's unrealistic for a band like DT to go on tour planning to play any song from their 9 album track list and not expect JP to take like 10 guitars. I think I could see it being difficult to have a favorite where they are all EBMMs!! XD!!
    The guy from Fredericton NB with an EBMM JP6 in Carbon Blue