Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: Ping John Denner....

User Info Menu

Ping John Denner....

Hi John,

I know I could have done this with a PM but I thought I'd share as your skills deserver some exposure!

I've been watching your You Tube stuff, very impressive, but the reason I'm threading this is I'm interested in your Amp tone, I have an axis, and for the last 15 years have been a solid Marshall player for my heavier tone, I bought some rack gear, binned my marshall but I'm looking for a valve amp tone.

I noticed you're using the Bugera - they seem very impressive for little money - can you share your thoughts on what a Ball sounds through them, It doesn't bother me if they're a one trick pony - at that money I couldn't care! - I have a fender hot rod deluxe for my Luke & ALs, but my Axis and SUb need something heavier, hope you've got some good stories!

And on your clips are you straight into the amp? - or does your sound go via FX Ville

Mods - this isn't meant to be off thread, as It's all about my ball tone, however if you feel it's wandering please let me know and I'll do this behind closed doors

Thanks ye all.
    Smelly
    86934 - This EVH was completed on August 29th, 1995. Trans Red.
    G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

User Info Menu

Behringer aint it??

User Info Menu

yeah but if you look at the you tube stuff, it doesn't sound like John's tone......

Bumpski
    G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

User Info Menu

Well I played the 333XL last month, and I was impressed by it. It looked and sounded like a Peavey. They are really cool amps, so they're definitely worth checking out. I didn't have my JP with me, but it still sounded good! From what I've heard they're pretty reliable, but I would see if you can play one yourself and see what you think. John probably has better info, so...yeah.
    JP6 (Graphite Pearl)- fully loaded Born 5/8/08
    SUB1 (Blue)- HH, hardtail Born 5/17/04
    Ernie Ball Wah
    RPS Super Slinkys

User Info Menu

They are made by Behringer. From what I can make out the 6260 and 6262 are copies of the 5150 and 5150II. The 333 is a copy of the JS head.
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Sounds like HP might be getting a taste of his own medicine.
    Black Luke II

User Info Menu

Sounds like we have a great European amp at a fraction of the price paid for boutique amps.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Nice one John, thanks

Yeah Spud, this could be a winner! - I'm off to Englandshire tomorrow, for a family break, there happens to be 3 music shops in the area, might head on in and check out these Bugera chats....

The only problem is the 16u flight case I just bought to start a rack with 2u used for FX! - Might have to take a hacksaw to it!!!

Thanks again John, keep doin' it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smellybum5150 View Post
    Nice one John, thanks

Yeah Spud, this could be a winner! - I'm off to Englandshire tomorrow, for a family break, there happens to be 3 music shops in the area, might head on in and check out these Bugera chats....

The only problem is the 16u flight case I just bought to start a rack with 2u used for FX! - Might have to take a hacksaw to it!!!

Thanks again John, keep doin' it.

16u racks... those were the days!
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Sullivan View Post
    16u racks... those were the days!
    Hey it was cheap,

I got a zoom 9050 and Rocktron intellifex witht eh 16u for a hundred quid - it was like being 16 again!

I'm a valve guy, and balls sound so much better through valve amps rather than processors.

User Info Menu

So, you are not running any effects? Just straight amp? BTW, I like the Bugera's...I think they are great amps.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

I'm with you, Smelly. That's why I don't get the point of recording Ball sound samples that aren't miked directly from a real amp.

Wonder if Bugera has plans for a low watt number any time soon?

John, man, always an inspiration. Wish you the best on this new project.

Bruce

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koogie2k View Post
    So, you are not running any effects? Just straight amp? BTW, I like the Bugera's...I think they are great amps.
    I think he's running a clean boost (TS or ?) of some kind in front.

User Info Menu

the 4x12 cab that bugera has doesnt deliver as much bottom power as the peavey cab, but if you take bang for the buck it cant be beaten!
    here in norway the 6505 with cab is 3x more expensive than the bugera counterpart

my fav is the 333xl, i also dont particularily like the higain channels (on both the 333 and 626x) but thats probably because im not that into the heavier genres. to much fizz for me as soon as there are more than three 12ax7 tubes in the preamp section

another bonus is that you can use either 6L6 or EL34 tubes. just insert new tubes, flick a switch, measure the plate current on the provided bias measure points and adjust it on the potensiometer

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses