Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Ebmm axis not staying in tune

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Angry Ebmm axis not staying in tune


    Someone please help me. I bought an amber axis with a floyd brand new, and it will not stay in tune at all. It's so bad that even the first dive bomb in eruption I can't do without bringing it completely out of whack. I cant find whats wrong, the saddles appear to be fine, the floyd is flush to the body, and the springs are fine. Is this normal for the Axis or is something wrong. Please respond.

    ~Angelo

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Dude, that sucks. Email customer service because that way you get the technical and proper response. While most of the folks on the forum are knowledgeable, jerks like me like to mislead with inappropriate information and tips. Heh-heh-heh.

    Email customer service.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Axis

    Hey man,

    Congrats on the Axis, it is one of the most bad assed guitars of all time. One of the main problems with people who first start using floyds is that when and if they put new strings on they dont fully stretch them out. Whenever I string up the Axis I leave the Locking nut off and then bend sll the strings and keep retuning. until the stability is there...

    Also make sure you use Ernie Ball strings. RPS slinkys might be the way to go if you like giving your floyd alot of abuse as they are more sturdy than nickle.

    Also if none of this helps unscrew the back plate of the guitar and make sure that the trem arm screws are level and everything looks cool inside.

    Also make sure the saddles are locked in place AFTER you have bent all the strings and the stablility is there.

    Good luck and Rock and Roll

    Chris G
    ROCK AND ROLL!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    The problem started when I first got it, with the strings it came with, I just took them off last night and restrung it with some Ernie ball super slinkys, but the problem still persists

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Stop playing Eruption. Just kidding bro! Seriously, call customer service and they'll take care of you for sure.

    Welcome to the forums!



    Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98). FS on REVERB.
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)



  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisglancy View Post
    Hey man,

    Congrats on the Axis, it is one of the most bad assed guitars of all time. One of the main problems with people who first start using floyds is that when and if they put new strings on they dont fully stretch them out. Whenever I string up the Axis I leave the Locking nut off and then bend sll the strings and keep retuning. until the stability is there...

    Also make sure you use Ernie Ball strings. RPS slinkys might be the way to go if you like giving your floyd alot of abuse as they are more sturdy than nickle.

    Also if none of this helps unscrew the back plate of the guitar and make sure that the trem arm screws are level and everything looks cool inside.

    Also make sure the saddles are locked in place AFTER you have bent all the strings and the stablility is there.

    Good luck and Rock and Roll

    Chris G
    Some good advice there, even though I have no experience with Floyd Rose type bridges. Except the RPS Slinkys won't make a difference because you have to cut off the ball ends anyway. Give those strings a good stretch!
    JP6 (Graphite Pearl)- fully loaded Born 5/8/08
    SUB1 (Blue)- HH, hardtail Born 5/17/04
    Ernie Ball Wah
    RPS Super Slinkys

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    also make sure that the three clamp blocks up at the locking nut are oriented so that the peak of each block runs parallel with the strings.

    Example:

    (sorry I dont have a better pic handy...)


  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    please please contact customer service and ditch the frowny face!
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    I called customer service, and he told me to bend my strings for a while. for 4 hours I bent my strings till my tips were red. I'm letting one of my good friends at guitar center, take it, and see if he could fix it, lets just hope my baby's alright.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by axisforever02 View Post
    for 4 hours i bent my strings till my tips were red.
    Now that's funny
    Last edited by Headstock; 08-14-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    AL MM90's - Gold, RW Neck
    AL HH - Mint Green
    Silhouette Special - White Sparkle
    JP12- 7 Cherry Sugar
    Steve Morse Y2D - Purple Sunset!
    25th AnnY
    Luke III -Bodhi Blue
    Majesty 6 Arctic Dream

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Hey dude! I got the same trouble with my Steve Morse Y2d with Floyd. I solve the problem with these steps:
    1) "Right way of stringing"
    http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
    2) Oil Floyd Rose studs and "knifes" (points of contact) with a drop of machine oil.
    Thats it! Now my Morse stay in tune perfectly.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Ok

    OK dude i'm gonna try that, ill get back to ya to tell if it works.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SPI View Post
    Hey dude! I got the same trouble with my Steve Morse Y2d with Floyd. I solve the problem with these steps:
    1) "Right way of stringing"
    How To Change Guitar Strings- Stringing to stay in tune - Locking Strings to the tuner
    2) Oil Floyd Rose studs and "knifes" (points of contact) with a drop of machine oil.
    Thats it! Now my Morse stay in tune perfectly.
    Point 1 shouldnt matter when you have a locking nut

    If the strings are stretched out, and the nut is clamped down properly then there should be no issue with tuning on an Axis.

    If after this there is then call Cust Service!
    Steve

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by spkirby View Post
    Point 1 shouldnt matter when you have a locking nut
    yes, but wrong way of stringing will complicate tuning.
    Point 2 is musthave IMHO.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AxisForever02 View Post
    I bent my strings till my tips were red.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums