Strap on your style
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric shock from a guitar

User Info Menu

Electric shock from a guitar

Can anyone tell me is it normal to feel like a sort of fuzzy feeling from the trem arm on my guitar when it's plugged into my amp?
    if i run my hand or finger along the trem arm i sort of feel like a current not strong but definately there i can also feel the same thing on the metal front on my amp the strip where all the knobs are?

i have felt this before but i just wondered was this normal.

User Info Menu

I used to get them from a Shure microphone. One day (more than 20 years ago) whilst playing in Germany had a real bad electrical shock.
    So coming from experience, get the guitar checked out at a dealers- and get some kind of "breaker" on your electrical system. Try it in another house/ venue to see if the problem goes away. Use a different combination of power/guitar cables. See if anybody else experiences anything when they touch the guitar (don't say anything to them before hand so iyou don't get a Psychosematic response).
    I have had no issues like this with my EB's

Edit

Just seen your other post about a crackly (static) trem bar - get it checked out - probably just a ground issue - but get it checked out.
    Last edited by Spudmurphy; 10-04-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I'm getting it with a wolfgang as well? and also thru my jcm 900 head strange

User Info Menu

So either
    both guitars have the same problem or
    it's not the guitar.

Does the problem happen in another house/venue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    So either
    both guitars have the same problem or
    it's not the guitar.

Does the problem happen in another house/venue?
    I dunno i will check that out tomorrow and let ya know....

User Info Menu

OK so if you are getting this sensation from an Axis, a Wolfgang and also via amp head(s) then I would suspect that the house/venue power circuit is not earthed properly. First things first, plug your amp into a circuit breaker power strip or just play acoustically for today...you can never be too careful. As Spud says, try another venue and/or get the amp checked out.
    Steve

User Info Menu

Ok this is probably good advice guys i'll keep you posted on this

Bill....

User Info Menu

No, it is absolutely NOT normal!! Does it happen from time to time, yes.

Troubleshoot and locate the source then remedy that situation, because it CAN produce a schock to your disliking, at sometime in the future under certain conditions.

User Info Menu

I used to have this happen back in the day with an amp without a grounded plug. The amp (an old Guild...from the late 60's) had a polarity switch on the back. If I plugged in and got a shock, I'd switch the polarity switch and all would be well.

Assuming you've got a newer amp, you have a ground prong on the plug. If you still get a shock, then the wiring in the building is seriously messed up and dangerous. Think about changing a light bulb. The grounded (neutral) should be at the outside of the socket....where you could come in contact with it. It's also not off when the switch is off!

jack
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

Most definitely a grounding issue!!!! Either there is a problem with the ground on the guitar, the amp, the house current or a combination thereof. It can be a very serious, life threatening issue if not dealt with. Really! I would start with the AC voltage from the wall, then the amp, then the guitar!
    Three things are not long hidden: the Sun, the Moon and the Truth. -Buddha

User Info Menu

Lots of players user wireless, not so much to roam about, more so they are totally isolated from the mains.
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

https://twitter.com/timcaesar

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonemeister View Post
    Most definitely a grounding issue!!!! Either there is a problem with the ground on the guitar, the amp, the house current or a combination thereof. It can be a very serious, life threatening issue if not dealt with. Really! I would start with the AC voltage from the wall, then the amp, then the guitar!
    If anyone wants to know how serious this can be...check the link.

Keith Relf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

have you tried a different power point/outlet in your house?

i had my house earth checked and the very first power point the electrician looked at (by pure coincidence) the earth wire was completely disconnected... and of all places it happened to be the outlet in the bathroom ! The rest were all fine.

of course it could be the entire house - a simple issue in the circuit box outside, or the earth wire from the box not being attached to a proper earthing stake in the ground might make your whole house unsafe.. like the others said, take your amp next door and see if it happens there!

User Info Menu

" I'm with Mr. O'Sullivan.
    I really like my wireless - it's great to have the freedom, but more because it's safer than being tied 'directly' to a potentially fatal electric current.
    You ever been popped on the mouth by a faulty mic ?
    It's like being hit with a fist. Definitely have all that stuff checked out. " M.S.

User Info Menu

As has been said, get that fixed. If you can feel the current when you touch your guitar's bridge, the potential on it is over 30 volts, which can be life-threatening under some circumstances.

This doesn't indicate that there is a problem with your guitar. Actually, just the opposite: The bridge of your guitar is connected to the output jack's ground, which, when everything is connected properly is connected to your electrical socket's earth ground. The reason for this is that six 2-foot lengths of wire, and human beings, make excellent antennas, so both you and your guitar are grounded so that any stray EMF is shunted away from your signal path.
    EBMM Silhouette Vintage Sunburst #G37851, DOB 12/21/2007
    Mesa/Boogie F-50
    Homebrew 5E3