Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal

Thread: love my new luke! difference between 9's and 10's..

User Info Menu

love my new luke! difference between 9's and 10's..

i just got her back from a setup and got 10-46's put on..

I must admit I was a little disappointed.. just didn't feel or sound quite right. So i just re-strung it with 9-46's (slinky hybrid) and wham it's awesome again.

This is strange as I've always used 10-46 on all my guitars, and every time i've tried 9-42 or 9-46 in the past I've not liked the feel or sound and switched back to 10's.

However on the Luke, the 9-46 set seems to work really nicely. One issue i've always had trying 9's in the past is the strings seem to slip out from under my fingers, however on the Luke this doesn't seem to occur.

Dunno if it's just me being strange (no comments please!! LOL), or if there's actually something to this..

In any case, the hybrid set really rocks!

;-)

User Info Menu

The experience you are having with 9s and 10s is similar to mine with 10s and 11s. I much prefer the feel and thicker tone of 11s in general, but some of my balls seem to sound best with 10s: a bit more brightness, cut, and clarity. Go figure. Each piece of wood is unique. They all sound great though.

User Info Menu

Yep, I put 10's on all 3 Luke's Ive owned, and then went back to 9's almost straight away, 10's just dont suit the Luke, for me. However, on the AL i like 9's, and on the silo specials i like 10's. go figure.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

I also tried 10's on my Luke for awhile and went back to 9's. My main problem was the wound strings binding in the nut when I used the trem. Now I buy RPS 9's exclusively for my Luke, they just seem to work the best together. All my other guitars have 10's on them.

User Info Menu

Classic Hybrid Slinkys on all my Balls.

User Info Menu

cool ! glad it's not just me then !

by the way, i just got home from sitting in the orchestra/band pit for The Rocky Horror Show here in melbourne (one of my best mates is the musical director, so a great perk for me!)... HOLY CRAP. Brett Wood is playing the guitar chair in Melb and he is a freaking machine. He plays/tours with Pete Murray and Vanessa Amorossi. Was lucky enough to sit next to him and watch, listen, and follow along the chart. Was just fantastic.

User Info Menu

Great gig you got there! Brett is pretty cool, too bad he's a lefty.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

hehehe yeah.. had to think about what he was playing coz looking at the fretboard kept confusing me.

it was awesome. there's some really tasty stuff written in the charts (the arrangements are ace), and some really hard runs too. he nailed it.. really inspiring stuff

User Info Menu

How about using 9.5's

User Info Menu

I've always done the 9-42's on my Lukes. Easier on the hands for one, seems to be the tone I'm after for two.

I've been noticing that the one I'm playing now, a black BFR, sounds brighter than my other BFR so I roll the tone off a tad...but I'm surprised by the intense clarity of this one and I almost haven't put it down since it came back from SLO.
    (Thanks Jon and gang)
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003