Strap on your style
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luke vs Silhouette Special

User Info Menu

Luke vs Silhouette Special

Well who would win in a fight? I'm looking at both and like them for different reasons. It seems like the Silo special might be a bit more versatile with all the different coil combinations... But can it rock like the Luke???

Jason

User Info Menu

They're both versatile and very comparable. Biggest difference is the neck profile. The SS is more traditionally shaped, the Luke is smaller with a slight "v" and smaller frets. They're both comfortable as hell ... I've owned a few of both and they're great.

Pickup wise, they're a bit different. EMGs tend to be more even across the fequencies, more "hi-fi" for lack for a better term. The SS's p'ups have the typical peaks you'd associate with strat-type p'ups. Again, both are great, you'll probably just EQ your amp a little differently with either.

So they both rock. I'd say play both if you can and you'll know which one feels better to your hands.

User Info Menu

Oh the Silo Special can rock baby.
    Vintage Sunburst Silhouette Special, '06; 20th Anniversary Silhouette, '06; Honeyburst Sterling '00

I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
    He said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

Enter the Void:
    http://www.voidmusic2000.fourfour.com
    http://www.facebook.com/voidmusic2000

User Info Menu

Both are awesome guitars. The difference for me is the neck. I like the Silo Special neck much better than the Luke. Just my personal preference. Others love it.

How about a Silo Special with Luke Pickups?

The middle and neck pickups are actually an SA and an S. The bridge is an 85. The Luke pickups just came available for sale, so I might switch them out for the SLV's.
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

User Info Menu

I got a Silo Spec and have played a Luke in stores before. I dig the more "traditional" Silo for the neck profile and pickups. More stratty.
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger

User Info Menu

Both are great guitars and both would win and rock out, cant lose either way or make it easy get both and be very happy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jptortor View Post
    But can it rock like the Luke???
    You tell me: SoundClick artist: Demioblue - page with MP3 music downloads

done with my new candy red SS.
    - Lionel

Vote for your favourite EBMM Model here!

Favourite Ball: JPX7 , May 2010

www.soundclick.com/demioblue

Quote Originally Posted by petruccirocks02 View Post
    C'mon though Lionel, everyone knows that you're a Silo whore. Haha.

User Info Menu

Well, I would like both.... ha. I think though I am going to splurge and get a PRS Mira for humbucker sounds and either a luke or silo special for more stratlike sounds.

The regular Silo always draws me in too, but it just looks weird to me for some reason... I don't know why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    You tell me: SoundClick artist: Demioblue - page with MP3 music downloads

done with my new candy red SS.
    Lionel, nicely done!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

I own both. My Silo has the HSS pickup configuration.
    Frets: I prefer the Silo's taller frets.
    Neck: The neck shape difference is a non-issue for me because the Luke's V-neck is very subtle.
    Pickups: I love the tone and the variety I get with the Silo. The Luke's pup's are higher output and have a "heavier" tone that sounds great. I prefer the Silo however - used with a boost pedal to kick it up a notch.
    Body/looks: Purely subjective.
    Music Man's customer service is TERRIFIC!
    1st EBMM: 2008 Silhouette Special, Candy Red, HSS, trem, rosewood.
    2nd EBMM: (Sold) 2007 Luke, HSS, Black.
    3rd EBMM: 2008 Steve Morse Y2D, De-Purple Burst, trem, 500k ohm pots. Most beautiful guitar I have ever seen!

User Info Menu

I own both, love both, However, the Luke has an extra bit of class.
    My name is Rob and I'm an AL-coholic!
    The MM90 AL is the most underrated axe on the planet!

I buy my balls from the number one EBMM dealer in Australia, the all round nice guy and legendary Colin!His website is www.guitarplanet.com.au Give him a call to order your balls!!!!!

User Info Menu

i had one ss before.. it was really a great guitar with a great sound and playability..

but after i got two luke, i found it was hard for me hopping around to other guitar because of the neck shape of the luke is so unique.. so i sold th ss..

the neck is slightly different.. ss was little bigger than luke and the fret is taller.. both are comfortable to play ( in my opinion, i find luke is easier to play)

i found the sound of both guitars is similar due to the same configuration..

if you want a split coils in luke, you could change the humbucker to an emg 89, some people in here did that and most of the people said it was great..

if you have no problem with changing battery and plug off the cable everytime you're done playing.. then i suggest you to get one luke at least.. you have to have one.. it's really a different guitar..
    Abraham

Luke II - Buttercream LE 2005
    Luke II - Vintage Sunburst

"The difference is worth playing.."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Lionel, nicely done!
    Thanks pete!
    - Lionel

Vote for your favourite EBMM Model here!

Favourite Ball: JPX7 , May 2010

www.soundclick.com/demioblue

Quote Originally Posted by petruccirocks02 View Post
    C'mon though Lionel, everyone knows that you're a Silo whore. Haha.

User Info Menu

Luke all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!
    But then again i love silos too hehe
    Endorsed by Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars USA.
    Featured on the music man Artist page: http://www.music-man.com/artists/dean-wells.html
    Custom Reflex (emerald green sparkle burst/ebony roasted neck)
    25th Anniversary Ernie Ball quilt.
    Reflex/GameChanger Maple neck HSH
    BFR LUKE Emerald Burst Flame top
    LUKE pearl blue
    REFLEX- Maple Neck White/Black

Want list Steve Morse Y2D Blue
    Armada Black burst.

my band TERAMAZE
    www.teramaze.com.au
    My production page
    www.dwellsmusic.com

User Info Menu

I had both and as you cn see the silo spec is no longer in my signature Didn't like the neck on the silo spec.

I really love the Luke though I prefer position 2 pickup configuration on the SS.
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009