Ready to Roar

Thread: What is the best way to clean a maple freatboard?

User Info Menu

Question What is the best way to clean a maple freatboard?

Im looking for the best or ideal way to clean the freatboard of my axis...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

....? Can you send me some information... Thanks a lot for your time

User Info Menu

I just cleaned up the neck on a Silo Special that I recently purchased, and I used some grade #0000 ultra fine steel wool. Just be sure to either remove the neck from the body, or cover the pickups, otherwise you'll have tiny metal shavings all over the pickups. The neck on my guitar was in especially bad shape, so I hit the fretboard with some coarser steel wool first to really scrub it down. The neck doesn't look brand new now, but I managed to get it from a dark grey to a very light grey and it at least looks like its made of wood again. Hope that helps.

Gary

User Info Menu

depends on your finish, but i woulden't recommend using steel wool on a maple fingerboard because mostly it's a finished fingerboard and steel wool would ruin the lacquer, if you have an extreme case of dirt, use it, but before that, try using a credit card or something similar to rub the dirt off.

I use this for everything concerning guitar:

Bore Oil for the Fife and Fret Doctor

User Info Menu

I didn't know my maple fretboard has lacquer. I was about to use some steel wool on it to remove some stubborn stains. If it was lacquered, I wonder why those stains are so stubborn.

I'd appreciate some more info in this area also.
    Bugbus

'06 EBMM Axis in Pacific Blue Burst with Floyd/maple/matching
    '09 EBMM Silo Special in White with SSS/Hardtail/maple/piezo

User Info Menu

Suggestion: a Sticky on MM neck cleaning.

Hi Dany,

If you receive search links and such (the one posted didn't open for me), it's because this is so often addressed on this forum. It's a rather lengthy thing to go into because there are variables and personal preferences of procedures. There's no one absolute way it must be done.

My suggestion is to first try the search function, with key words: Birchwood Casey, Murphy's Soap, cleaning necks, neck care, etc. I'll check back later if you haven't found what you need, unless someone else gets to it first.

Bruce

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ang3lus View Post
    depends on your finish, but i woulden't recommend using steel wool on a maple fingerboard because mostly it's a finished fingerboard and steel wool would ruin the lacquer

Doctor
    Are EBMM maple fretboards finished? I always thought they were unfinished like the backs and the only finished part of the neck was the headstock. Now I'm curious. That said, I still have no problem stripping an all maple neck of lacquer. I won't do that to my mahogany necked Hamers, but anything with a maple neck is fair game. Never had a problem. My experience has been that any neck with heavy lacquer just doesn't get dirty enough to need cleaning.

The lacquer keeps the neck from getting dirty in the first place. Yes?

I'm still curious.

User Info Menu

I think that the comment made about the neck being lacquered is a bit misleading.

Ernie Ball does not lacquer their necks - although some like the Sub or Bongo Bass has a painted neck - just like a Les Paul.
    EB use Gunstock oil and gunstock wax to treat their necks.

using wire wool and Murphys (no relation) soap works wonders.
    3 m scotchbrite also does a good job and it leaves no metal shards.

You could use a coarser wet and dry paper going through the grades - 600 - 800- 1000 - 1200 etc but this works best when the frets are removed. If you are careful then a liberal amount of sanding will no doubt pay dividends. Don't go overboard otherwise you will end up with a scalloped neck
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Thanks... I had a little problem with the link and I cant open it

Quote Originally Posted by candid_x View Post
    Suggestion: a Sticky on MM neck cleaning.

Hi Dany,

If you receive search links and such (the one posted didn't open for me), it's because this is so often addressed on this forum. It's a rather lengthy thing to go into because there are variables and personal preferences of procedures. There's no one absolute way it must be done.

My suggestion is to first try the search function, with key words: Birchwood Casey, Murphy's Soap, cleaning necks, neck care, etc. I'll check back later if you haven't found what you need, unless someone else gets to it first.

Bruce

User Info Menu

Check the FAQ on the Ernie Ball site: http://www.ernieball.com/faq_content...ode=mm_guitars

There is a wealth of information there regarding maintaining and setting up your guitar.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

many thanks... a very useful information.

User Info Menu

Keep it dirty!!!! Dirty maple fretboards look hot!!!!
    Currently Balls

Silhouette
    Axis Super Sport