Ready to Roar

Thread: Locking tuners

User Info Menu

Locking tuners

Hey guys im a guitar teacher who has just bought a SUB 1. i know how to use its locking tuners but one of my students has just bought an OLP. would it have locking tuners? if so how would he use them?

User Info Menu

The OLP guitars were not made by EBMM - so I don't know if you'll get many answers here. I don't believe the OLP licensed models had locking tuners though.

Welcome aboard though, and welcome to the Sub 1 owners club. Those of us that have them, love them.

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

User Info Menu

I've had a few olps and have yet to encounter a locking tuner...
    Super Secret Silhouette Special HH RW AUTUMN REDBURST
    DOB 03/20/2002 Sterling 4 String H RW AUTUMN REDBURST

User Info Menu

Thanks bro yeah im definetly in love with my sub 1. yep i should have realised that the OLP stands for officially LICENCED products and therefor would not be made by EBMM. any idea who makes them?

User Info Menu

They're asian made but are discontinued. I forgot the parent company's name, but they make other guitar brands too. Ernie Ball is now releasing its own subsidiary called "Sterling by Musicman" and thus far, look pretty impressive. There is another thread discussing it.
    Super Secret Silhouette Special HH RW AUTUMN REDBURST
    DOB 03/20/2002 Sterling 4 String H RW AUTUMN REDBURST

User Info Menu

No locking tuners on any previous OLP's. The company was (I believe) Hansen Music.

It is my understanding that the new company making them (now called Sterling), is the Park Family. I don't think any new guitar model has locking tuners (not sure though).

User Info Menu

Give Olplayer a PM he'll tell ya- he has an Axis OLP (very nice too!)
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Welcome Vikunt - congrats on getting a great Sub 1 guitar. I have three of them and love them. Very versatile. If you rout out a single coil pickup cavity in the middle of the body you can then install any Silhouette Special pickguard you want on your Sub 1. Or even make a custom HSH guard for it. Look in my pics. You could also join the SOC (Sub Owners Club) .

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    No locking tuners on any previous OLP's. The company was (I believe) Hansen Music.

It is my understanding that the new company making them (now called Sterling), is the Park Family. I don't think any new guitar model has locking tuners (not sure though).
    TNT -I don't understand the statement above "new company making them"?? Huh??
    The new guitar being made, Sterling by Music Man, has nothing to do with OLP, AFAIK. Additionally, all the new Sterling by Music Man guitars have nice locking tuners.
    Sterling by MUSIC MAN - GUITARS

OLP was owned by Hanser Music group, and their OLP guitars were poop. I held and played a Chinese $trat once that exuded more sheer quality than OLP. Sorry to say. I found OLP tuners to be very poor quality. Don't like to admit to it but I briefly owned an OLP Benji model. Firewood.
    Welcome to OLP Guitars
    Last edited by jamminjim; 03-15-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in local area
    https://www.kafmradio.org/Web-Player]

User Info Menu

Hey JJ the OLP Axis that Olplayer has plays great (it should do - I set it it up ha!) and the pickups are very good - it also looks a really nice guitar.
    Considering what he paid for it, it's a steal

BTW are you a "Morris" fan?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

Sir Murphy

I am a Morris. Guess I could be a fan..

And regarding the OLP's, OLPlayer's proves that some folks get lucky. I will admit that one looks nice and I'll trust your assessment of it. Still, I think I'm pretty convinced in my opinion of them overall. If they were real good or even great guitars overall they would still be being made, don't ya think? Does he still have the stock tuners on it?

I got a feeling Sterlings by MM are going to Kick OLP butt.. (but I wouldn't use that phrase in a marketing scheme, )

Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in local area
    https://www.kafmradio.org/Web-Player]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamminjim View Post
    Does he still have the stock tuners on it?
    Yes I do and it was, and still is, a good guitar. It was my lead in to EBMM and was fortunate enough to be bought an ASS PBB last year by Mrs OLPlayer. Obviously a far superior guitar than the OLP but I still get that out and have a strum now and again.

Like you said, maybe I was lucky but I still maintain that it was a good find.