Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP6 push/pull pot mod installed!!!

User Info Menu

JP6 push/pull pot mod installed!!!

hey guys

ive been meaning to do this since the BFR JP was released
    i really wanted to try some more pickup configurations

after a few years and much deliberation, i have finally worked up the courage and sourced all the necessary components!!

much thanks goes to MusicManJP6 for inspiration and schematics
    and to ernie ball customer service for advising me on a few things.

the mod gives the following options:

pushed:
    top = neck humbucker
    middle = both humbuckers
    bottom = bridge humbucker

pulled:
    top = neck split
    middle = both split
    bottom = bridge split

ive photographed every step as to provide a sort of resource for anyone who wishes to perform this mod themselves

i did it myself as i am fairly confident with electronics and soldering etc..
    and i really didnt want to take it to a tech, because the jp6 is most most prized possesion and i really dont trust anyone with it!!

heres the pics

original tone pot removed, Dimarzio push/pull 500K pot ready to go

the cavity with new pot in place

Dimazio pot screwed into place
    i had to break a tiny little leg of metal off the dimarzio pot as it prohibited the pot from sitting flush with the inside of the cavity, it was only about 1-2mm long.

the two connections coming from the volume pot were a little short to reach the new pot
    i figured i could bend the capacitor leg to reach, but i had to replace the white wire.

capacitor leg connected

heres the old white wire and its replacement

and now connected

next i connected both the bottom pins of the new pot to the earth of the guitar

another view

now i desoldered the red and green wires, coming from the bridge pickup, from the switch pcb

these two wires were then connected together and extended so they could reach the new pot

i then placed a small length of heat-shrink over the connection
    i placed a piece of card behind the connection as i used the heat gun as to not damage the finish (that thing is hot!!)

next the white and black wires coming from the neck pickup were disconnected from the switch pcb

same treatment they were connected together and lengthened to reach the new pot

here are both the new connections

they were both then cut to length and connected to the new pot

here is the cavity after completion

the two new connections coming from both pickups

their connection to the new pot

down

up

down

up

the workshop

this also comes just after cleaning and lubricating the tremolo system
    giving the neck a light sand and a coat of gunstock oil and gunstock wax
    lemon oil, new strings, intonation reset

fantastic!!!!
    Last edited by peat; 05-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    "in order to realise our creative visions, it is essential that we develop the craft of our instrument."

User Info Menu

Well documented sir.
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette19 Bongo 6 Fretless BFR Double neck

User Info Menu

thanks norm

ive just been having a play with it
    the pushed middle spot (both humbuckers) is awesome, very full yet still clean
    and i cant say enough about the split neck tone, wow!!!

ill post some audio samples soon when i get the chance
    "in order to realise our creative visions, it is essential that we develop the craft of our instrument."

User Info Menu

been wanting to do this for 2 years...hehe...still haven't got round to doing it though.
    great job!
    Music Man John Petrucci Limited Edition 2006
    Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

User Info Menu

Sweet work !!! Great for the Techy crowd on here...i do my own wiring as well ...very clean work my friend ...very clean!
    Lonney B

12/27/01 EB/MM "Albert Lee" SILVER SPARKLEw/Matching Headstock HARDTAIL (1 of 1)

User Info Menu

thanks lenny,

Quote Originally Posted by Phazer View Post
    been wanting to do this for 2 years...hehe...still haven't got round to doing it though.
    great job!
    should go for it
    only took me about 1 hour
    ive youve got some basic tools and a soldering iron around the place
    the only cost is the pot, which was $30AUS

User Info Menu

Nicely done. Love the pics!

User Info Menu

Finally!! Someone else has done this mod! I've had mine installed for exactly a year and love it!

For anyone interested here's a vid I posted right after I had the mod done:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7AfFdnhI0]YouTube - EBMM JP6 w/ push/pull pot - tone test[/ame]

Phazer - you REALLY need to let your tech have your baby for a few days and get this done!! You'll love it!! GUARANTEED!!

User Info Menu

I know Adam, but since I want to change the pick ups, I let him do that aswell, but I still don't know what pick ups to put in..
    Music Man John Petrucci Limited Edition 2006
    Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phazer View Post
    I know Adam, but since I want to change the pick ups, I let him do that aswell, but I still don't know what pick ups to put in..
    I couldn't imagine changing pickups in my JP6! Have you tried changing the pickup height? You can use shims, tubing, washers, etc to shim them. I think I might shim my neck pickup just a little. Try loosening the screws and pulling the pickup toward the string (while the guitar is in your lap in playing position) to hear what change of tone this will offer. Best of luck!

FYI - I've got a Seymour Duncan pickup set for sale on eBay right now - it's a JB/59 set. I bet that would be a killer set in a JP!

User Info Menu

Now that is the kind of meticulously documented workmanship that I can definitely tip my hat too!

Well done sir!
    EBMM 25th Anniversary - Venetian Redburst - "Valentine" , Flamed, Rosewood FB, Hardtail. Born 08/05/09

Your Fearless 25ROC Leader. (25th/Reflex Owners Club)

U!..C!...L!.......A!.... UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

User Info Menu

Indeed very nice thanks for sharing this
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Thats shocking for mebut impressive at the same time as im fussy with any mods on my JP6.
    John Petrucci Music Man Pearl Redburst Fully Loaded
    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV <A Version>
    Mesa/Boogie 2X12
    T.C. Electronic 2290
    Dunlop CS DCR-2SR Rack Wah
    Dunlop Slash Wah
    MXR(EVH Flanger,EVH Phse90, Zakk Wylde Overdrive)
    VooDoo Labs Power Plus 2
    Boss stomp boxes
    Fractal Audio AXE FX Ultra (Arrived and gave new level to my MMJP6 love them both!!)

User Info Menu

dont be shocked or fussy with this one

a few minor changes and you basically have a new guitar again

User Info Menu

Great work sir and thanks for sharing the very detailed pic with verbage. Rock on!
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.