Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP6 piezo selector, strong enough for "rapid on/off-switching"

User Info Menu

JP6 piezo selector, strong enough for "rapid on/off-switching"

Hi, still waiting my JP6 to arrive, but again one question came into my mind:

is the piezo pickup selector in JP6 strong enough for "rapid on/off-switching" between piezo and magnetic pups?

here's Randy's example of such procedure (watch 0:29-0:32):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ER3SsLQY8"]YouTube - Ozzy Osbourne & Randy Rhoads Crazy Train Live After Hours[/ame]

I realized that if I put piezo volume to zero I could use the switch like that, but now I'm curious about the strengh...

User Info Menu

it's completely made of metal, so there's very little chance of the knob breaking off, but when in doubt, call CS.
    edit: nice clip!
    Last edited by Dante; 09-28-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda2 View Post
    Life sucks when you have to play metal on a JP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    This is normal..noting to see...no cause for alarm. You are a perfect guitarist.
    BP on BKrumme's recurring waiting for the UPS guy

User Info Menu

You can use the toggle as a kill switch as long as you don't get too carried away and really whack it or try and push it past its limit of travel. Keep in mind that this is not the intended use, and if you hit it too hard (as with virtually anything) it WILL break.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    You can use the toggle as a kill switch as long as you don't get too carried away and really whack it or try and push it past its limit of travel. Keep in mind that this is not the intended use, and if you hit it too hard (as with virtually anything) it WILL break.
    This is true; you always have to be careful with anything.

But I'd put my money on it that the Piezo switches are WAY more sturdy than the standard gibson three way switch featured above. First of all, they are shorter, so you can't place as much torque on them AND they are all metal without plastic tips. I'd definitely trust an EBMM piezo switch over any Gibson three-way any day. The piezo on my JP feels much more sturdy than any of the gibsons that I've played.
    Last edited by Matt Gillis; 09-28-2009 at 02:50 PM.

User Info Menu

They can break - I had to replace mine, but the guitar had gone thro hell with the previous owner!!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

I can see the MythBusters episode now
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by the24thfret View Post
    i can see the mythbusters episode now
    lol
    EBMM JP6 Mystic Dream Fully loaded
    Jackson JDR-94
    Jackson King-V Professional
    JP6 replica (a.k.a EC6) - Under Construction

User Info Menu

I think we need this type of "test bench" but modified for the switch:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LTyDuZNDc"]YouTube - Chair testing at Ikea[/nomedia]

User Info Menu

I had the same idea, but scared to death of actually doing it the way I want to.

Edit: Gotta love the camera work during the solo....bass player...ozzy...oh yea, let's show Randy
    - Jesse

www.LeftyGuitarTrader.com
    Southpaws Only!

User Info Menu

god, Randy Rhoads was one of the greatest...

and look how big that guitar looks on him.

User Info Menu

I've used my piezo switch on my JP6 as a killswitch. There's a youtube vid if you wanna see it.
    Carlsberg don't make guitars. But if they did they would probably...........not be as good as a musicman!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by puppyonacid View Post
    I've used my piezo switch on my JP6 as a killswitch. There's a youtube vid if you wanna see it.
    Cool, could you post the link either to here on via PM?

User Info Menu

Sure no problem. It's a bit of a shameless plug just for a moment in a song. It's my band doing a cover of Voices by Dream Theater. I used the piezo switch as a killswitch in order to get somwhere near JP's tremelo effect in the song. I don't have a tremelo effect so it was as good as I could do. It's at around 2:30 into the vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeBBVEA0Cuw&fmt=18"]YouTube - Raising Angels - Voices[/ame]
    Carlsberg don't make guitars. But if they did they would probably...........not be as good as a musicman!!

User Info Menu

Thumbs down

just an update, the answer to my old question is no, yesterday during a jam session I got the answer while playing the last seconds of Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz...

I haven't used the switch as a "kill switch" many times (less than ten times with this particular guitar), but it doesn't surprise me that also the piezo switch broke (when I got my JP6 the pickup switch was broken within a week, and the volume knob lasted almost a year). Well, warranty is naturally expired so I just have to go and buy a new switch. Fortunately those are not that expensive.
    EBMM JP6 Pearl Redburst, matching headstock w/piezo

User Info Menu

Hello heka313, how are you?
    I have a JP6 Mystic Dream and the switch piezo / magentic broke last week. I would love to help me saying where I can find to buy this switch. I went with the staff relied on the musicman but did not give me any answers on where I can find it or if I can sell it. I thank you very much your attention

Fabio Afonso