Strap on your style

Thread: Wonderwipes on a maple neck?

User Info Menu

Wonderwipes on a maple neck?

Ok, I'm getting mixed messages about wonderwipes. I want to clean the neck on my Axis (all maple) and figured I buy some wonderwipes to do it. A few people at the local guitar shop said "no they absolutly will not work on your neck"... Can someone please clairify?
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

I have always been told you are not supposed to use citrus oils on maple boards. I use citrus cooking oil from Boyajian (one bottlele will last you 10 years) not Wonder Wipes, but I assume that since wonder wipes contain Orange Oil it isn't good for maple boards. The packaging does say "Optimum for Rosewood & Ebony necks", but it does not implicitly say not to use it on maple. I think it's fine on unfinished maple, but if your fretboard is finished you'll get a gooey mess.
    Last edited by ProtoChicken; 10-09-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    -http://forums.ernieball.com/signaturepics/sigpic11736_1.gif-

User Info Menu

i use em on my maple boards all the time. it cleans the hell out of em

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, which isn't much since they are different products, Dunlop's Lemon Oil does states it is not to be used with maple. I don't know if there is a difference between Lemon and Orange Oil.

I use Tangerine Oil plus I'm a lefty so you should probably listen to Phatduckk.
    Last edited by ProtoChicken; 10-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    -http://forums.ernieball.com/signaturepics/sigpic11736_1.gif-

User Info Menu

Here's what Music Man says about it -

How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck? | Music Man Guitars | F.A.Q.

" for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards." (excerpted from link)

I've used diluted Murphy's oil soap and can say it works too on filty necks. Some people even use pledge.

Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Black hardail Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in USA
    http://www.ktnnonline.com

User Info Menu

I use the wonder wipes on my 25th's maple neck/board and they work brilliantly. It just doesn't soak in like on rosewood. You have to wipe it off.
    BFR JP7 - Amethyst Burst - 5/29/08
    JP7 - Stealth - 3/22/10
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP - 4/9/12

User Info Menu

Stratty, they absolutely will work on your Axis maple neck, front and back. But like bkrumme said, it doesn't soak in the same way as on rosewood, you just wipe it down with a dry cloth or paper towel.

Don't use them on poly or nitro though. It'll just make a slippery mess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by candid_x View Post
    Stratty, they absolutely will work on your Axis maple neck, front and back. But like bkrumme said, it doesn't soak in the same way as on rosewood, you just wipe it down with a dry cloth or paper towel.
    +1

I love it! Works great on all the balls...
    I much prefer the orange oil base to the lemon oil, far less acidic.
    Scott.

I buy my guitars from the man with the Biggest Balls in AUS!
    The man, the myth, the Legend... Colin http://www.guitarplanet.com.au

User Info Menu

Funny, stratty asked me this exact question yesterday. I told him I was a bad one to ask, since I LOVE dirty maple boards. From what I understand, the reason the other product says not to use on maple, is due to it possibly darkening the wood...
    Super Secret Silhouette Special HH RW AUTUMN REDBURST
    DOB 03/20/2002 Sterling 4 String H RW AUTUMN REDBURST

User Info Menu

Hey Zombi,

Thats true... I like the neck a little dirty and broken in too. I was just thinking of cleaning it up and conditioning it so I can go another 13 years on it. Its funny, I have asked two other local music stores, who also happen to be Music Man dealers, the same question over the last 2 months or so and nobody seemed to know... thats why Im here... lol

User Info Menu

You guys are talking about the regular WW and not the fret board conditioning WW right? I have found that so many guys in music stores are not doing there reseach on their products which stinks we ask them their thoughts because they work there and when they say I don't know makes want to kick them out and work the counter instead
    Otto

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brokenvail View Post
    You guys are talking about the regular WW and not the fret board conditioning WW right? I have found that so many guys in music stores are not doing there reseach on their products which stinks we ask them their thoughts because they work there and when they say I don't know makes want to kick them out and work the counter instead
    Talking about the fretboard cleaner and conditioner, which also work well on MM oil finish maple necks, front and back.

User Info Menu

I'm now a believer! I got some this morning and spent about 15-20 minutes cleaning the neck then I had time to noodle with it for about 10 mins before I was out for the day... Feals so nice... Can't wait to get home to play it more and see what a few hours drying and a fresh set of strings is going to do for it! Then tomorrow to clean the other Balls... Need it or not!

I highly suggest them!

User Info Menu

I agree! The wonder wipes work great in my opinion. I have two MMs, one with rosewood and one with maple neck. The wipes do a brilliant job on the rosewood, but also clean the maple fretboard quite well. I was concerned about darkening the maple back of the "rosewood" neck, but it was quite subtle. Less darkening than with the other oils that were used on my all-maple neck years ago.