Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guitar(s) Day!

User Info Menu

New Guitar(s) Day!

My friend Jeff's son, Kevin, is just one hell of a nice kid.

You know teenagers, right? Sure you do. Well, he's not like those other teenagers. He's smart, he's bright, he's nice, he has manners - and he took up the guitar a while back.

I guess we've been talking for two years now about what he wants when it came time to get "something good". Being seventeen, he was on a budget, and the budget was named "Dad". Heh. So I wanted to help him get something decent for his first "real" guitar but had to keep in mind that my pal Jeff was footing the bill. (Gladly footing the bill, I should add.)

I had him checking out the FS thread here and got a couple of really nice offers from forumites. God bless you guys.

And then - bing! The light came on. Sterling by Music Man! After reading what was being said here by people I trusted and after playing a couple of the basses, I pretty much figured we had a winner of an idea.

And Pat Park, let me tell you in case you don't already know, and I suspect you do, is one hell of a nice guy. Pat, I've told you this already, but it deserves publicity: thank you for making a deserving young man extremely happy.

So Kevin was looking at the Axis and the Silo and was prepared (read: Dad was prepared) to spend maybe a thousand on a guitar.

With the SBMM line, he got TWO guitars, the Silo and the JP.

Not to mention two shirts!

He was absolutely stoked. And bummed a little because his mom already told him he had to come right back home and do his homework. And he's the kind of kid who will do that, too.

Thanks, as always, to Big Poppa, without whom none of this would be possible, and thanks again to Pat for making truly great guitars for the money.

Jack

User Info Menu

great story! Thanks Pat too
    Jack Did you get a chance to paly them...they are really good
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    great story! Thanks Pat too
    Jack Did you get a chance to paly them...they are really good
    I did. And they are. I'm no guitar player by anyone's definition, just barely a bass player, but these were fabulous. I was seriously impressed by the SBMM basses Rex and I were fooling around with at the Hollywood GC, too.

Jack

User Info Menu

Another great story about a kid who deserves it. Well done!
    Lefty JP6 BFR Cherryburst (Born 12-30-09)

User Info Menu

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a veteran "knucklehead" to me !

User Info Menu

Great story indeed

User Info Menu

Sweet!
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Cool story.

User Info Menu

He looks like one happy camper. Super story too.

User Info Menu

Another heartfelt story. Its nice to hear about it as it really shows just how much of a “family” we all are here on this forum.

He should love the SBMM guitar... I’m over the shock at just how well made these guitars are.

User Info Menu

Awesome, it's very heartwarming to see great kids get great guitars. Being 15 myself, I know the awesome feeling of getting my first nice guitar, so it's great to see other father's and mother's doing the same for their kids.

User Info Menu

Good things happen to good people!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing, Jack. I'm loving these threads lately. I'm a firm believer in rewarding hard work and this is just reinforcing the value in that.

I haven't had the chance to play the Silo20 or JP50, but I have played the AX40, and that was one smokin' guitar. It felt like an Axis to me (and I'm betting that's the idea). Top notch stuff in the Sterling line of instruments.
    BFR JP7 - Amethyst Burst - 5/29/08
    JP7 - Stealth - 3/22/10
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP - 4/9/12

User Info Menu

What a way to start off, that's awesome!
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Great story Jack- that is fantastic.

They really are well done. I was playing an AX 40 at Pete's ... played exceptionally well and felt great. All the ones I've tried have been excellent.

Damn kids have it good these days.