Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Amp Speakers Shot?

User Info Menu

Amp Speakers Shot?

What is a way to tell if you speakers are old/done with/blown etc...? I have a Bogner Ecstasy 4X12 with V30's in it. I use a Mark V head. At times, no matter WHAT I do, I cannot dial in a great low end sound. Obviously something is wrong, because thats not characteristic for this amp? I don't really have the cash laying around to just buy 4 new speakers and try it...so, how can I tell?

Im playing it with a Petrucci 7 string with the D-Sonic p/up configuration with nothing but an EB wah and an EB volume pedal in the signal path...
    http://www.myspace.com/tuffenuff

MD JP7 born October 5th, 2007. S#=F19559 SOLD in April, 2011

Barolo JPX-6 Born 4-26-2010 S#=G46776 - Separate than the guitar that is currently for sale.

Egyptian Smoke Bongo 5HH born Septemer 25th, 2008. S#=22342 sold to cellkirk74 on December 14, 2009.

User Info Menu

V30's don't have much of a bottom end to start with. You may do better with G12H30's or Emi Wizards. Or perhaps try just one Wizard in the cab with the V30's. My son's Bogner Shiva combo came with a G12-80, which has a wider response than their V30.
    Last edited by candid_x; 11-13-2009 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Blown would imply it's dead. No sound.

Frozen in the gap, or the coil is open you can check with a DMM set on ohms/resistance

There is also the THUMP Test:

You take the speaker and hold it up to your ear and Thump it close to
    where the dust cap cover is located over the voice coil.

It should sound tight like a rack tom. Now if it sounds like a drum
    with
    snares making contact with the other head, you have a failure of the
    cone/coil structure.

Good luck

User Info Menu

Is it possible to try your head with another cab?

Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Black hardail Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in USA
    http://www.ktnnonline.com

User Info Menu

I have played my head through a different Ecstasy cab, but mine is an angled cab and the one I played was a straight cab. The straight cab was brand new...how much of a difference should that make? The reason I ask is simply because lately I've found myself working REALLY hard to get any low end out of channel 3 of my mark V...which realy should not be a problem.
    http://www.myspace.com/tuffenuff

MD JP7 born October 5th, 2007. S#=F19559 SOLD in April, 2011

Barolo JPX-6 Born 4-26-2010 S#=G46776 - Separate than the guitar that is currently for sale.

Egyptian Smoke Bongo 5HH born Septemer 25th, 2008. S#=22342 sold to cellkirk74 on December 14, 2009.

User Info Menu

take your head and cab to a GC store near you - go into the inner room (where the amp and bottoms are) and have at it. You'll know what's up before you open the door to leave!!

User Info Menu

my mkV is the combo and have no troubles with low end, even at low volumes on 10w.. so you got me stumped..
    is the cab on caster wheels? if so try taking them off and have it flat on the ground. you'd be surprised how much you lose through the casters.
    Guitars:
    EBMM JP6 MYSTIC DREAM LOADED! My #1 (Born: January 23 2008)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark V combo (selling to fund Axe-FX setup )
    Effects:
    Vox Tonelab SE multi effects