Mega Primo Mammoth

Thread: Dimarzio change, opinions needed

User Info Menu

Dimarzio change, opinions needed

I have a Silhouette with the Dimarzio PAF's...Normally I like a little tighter sound, better distortion and bottom end. I notice that open chamber under the pickguard makes the sound a little different than most guitars. Has anyone made the bridge pickup change...and if so, how did your sound end up? The PAF is the ideal neck pickup, but lacks a little for my sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarguy3120 View Post
    I have a Silhouette with the Dimarzio PAF's...Normally I like a little tighter sound, better distortion and bottom end. I notice that open chamber under the pickguard makes the sound a little different than most guitars. Has anyone made the bridge pickup change...and if so, how did your sound end up? The PAF is the ideal neck pickup, but lacks a little for my sound.
    I would probably recommend a D-sonic, ToneZone, crunchlab, or evolution.
    Musicman Sub1 Pearl Blue single humbucker 3/11/05
    Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce head
    Saxon 1x12 cab

User Info Menu

Tone Zone

User Info Menu

I'm a big Evolution fan. It should give you that tighter sound, better distortion and bottom end that you are looking for.

Good luck,
    Slav

User Info Menu

Depends on what you play. Evos are great.

User Info Menu

Highly recommend Air Zone! It is very warm/fat but tight and very clear at the same time. The output is not over the top so you really hear the guitars resonance and the distortion from the amp. I gave up on ultra high output pickups...the middle way is the way to go (Sidhartha? ).
    GEAR:
    -2010 EBMM SM-Y2D

Blackstar HT-20 Head
    Mesa Boogie 3/4 1x12

User Info Menu

wow, it's been years since i last saw that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda2 View Post
    Life sucks when you have to play metal on a JP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    This is normal..noting to see...no cause for alarm. You are a perfect guitarist.
    BP on BKrumme's recurring waiting for the UPS guy

User Info Menu

I would say a ToneZone in the bridge position. Just love that sound. Articulate but fat. The Evo lacks a bit in definition in chords for my tastes. Great for leads! The crunchlab sounds promising as well, haven't heared it in real life though.
    GEAR:
    - 1993 Silo in Cherryburst with Floyd
    - Roland VG-99

User Info Menu

I put a Tonezone in the bridge of my silo and love the sound. But I also love the sound of the Steve Morse bridge p/up...may experiment with that one in the bridge of a silo one day.........might be a really cool tone.....or suck horribly lol
    Luke Luke Blue Dob 6/17/2008
    Luke White Pearl Dob 4/30/2010

User Info Menu

I'd buy an effects pedal, but I'm just like that...
    "this place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun"

Monkey Likey

User Info Menu

Re:Pickup change

Thank you all for your input, I already have a Tone Zone in an Ibanez Prestige RG3120...the wood is a little diiferent and lends itself to the darker sound of the pickup. I was just wondering if anyone had tried something else...I will go with what I know sounds good and hope it works well on a Ash body....Tone Zone it is. Thanks again everyone!

User Info Menu

I like the DM bridge Breed. It has a PAF vibe, but more powerful, big and tight bass, not muddy, no lack of mids or highs either, growls when overdriven. Actually sounds pretty good clean as well, if you like clean HB's.
    Last edited by candid_x; 11-27-2009 at 07:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Let us know how it sounds. I also thought about putting a crunch lab in my bridge of my Silo special. I have played a JP and loved it so hope it would sound good in mine.