Strap on your style
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: I need some serious help - Guitar Interference/noise

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I need some serious help - Guitar Interference/noise

    I need some serious help. I have recently moved and to my surprise in my area there is something that is causing interference with my guitar pickups.

    It is not ground loop noise, my outlets are properly grounded. The hum in the guitar gets worse when I move around so it is definitely something causing interference.

    I do have dimmers, but they are turned off. I do have florescent lights but only in the kitchen and they are too off. I have tried all outlets in the condo even outside in the hallway in my floor, it is all the same.

    I have the same electrical equipment I had before moving. Unfortunately there is a Bell (mobility, TV, I am not sure) building beside my condo, which may have antennas and whatnot causing the interference.

    My question is, how can I improve the shielding to avoid interference. I am not playing through an amp, I am using my pod X3 live with headphones or I use the Guitar Port directly into the computer, with headphones. So besides getting the best shielded cables i can, is there anything else I can do?

    PS: I was so happy finally buying a place to live... after I plugged in and heard the noise I felt I wanted to die... yes it is that bad... If I cannot record at home I will go insane.

    Your help is appreciated
    Francisco Meza
    Youtube Channel

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Bummer. Have you run through a power conditioner, like a Furman?

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    someone told me that if the noise comes from RF intereference that the conditioner will not help as it only reduces noise from badly grounded connections. I am not sure of this, but I can give it a try, thanks for your reply
    Francisco Meza
    Youtube Channel

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by frankiman View Post
    someone told me that if the noise comes from RF intereference that the conditioner will not help as it only reduces noise from badly grounded connections. I am not sure of this, but I can give it a try, thanks for your reply
    ...which is true. However, I would borrow a conditioner to give it a try and to exclude the possibility of anything coming through the wires.

    What is your guitar?
    Music Man SUB1 | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Emerald Green (rosewood neck)
    Music Man Silo Special | Graphite Pearl
    Music Man Silo Special/Luke | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Purple Metallic (custom)
    Music Man Axis Sport | Trans Red (custom)


    ...when EVH was asked by Johnny Carson, what it would be like, to be the greatest guitar player on earth, he replied: "I don't know...go, ask Steve Lukather!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by e.mate View Post
    ...which is true. However, I would borrow a conditioner to give it a try and to exclude the possibility of anything coming through the wires.

    What is your guitar?
    Thanks I think I will see if I can rent a unit. I have 9 guitars, to of them Ernie Ball JP's, the rest are other brands, none of them with active pickups, they are all humbuckers, no single coils either
    Francisco Meza
    Youtube Channel

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    You can get noise from both. If your guitars are decently shielded, bad power is the usual culprit. It's not about grounding, you get noise from circuits further down the line from your house.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    You can get noise from both. If your guitars are decently shielded, bad power is the usual culprit. It's not about grounding, you get noise from circuits further down the line from your house.
    ....a friend of mine got a problem from a washing machine in the basement, which provoked a hum in his bass amp. Took him six months to find out
    Music Man SUB1 | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Emerald Green (rosewood neck)
    Music Man Silo Special | Graphite Pearl
    Music Man Silo Special/Luke | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Purple Metallic (custom)
    Music Man Axis Sport | Trans Red (custom)


    ...when EVH was asked by Johnny Carson, what it would be like, to be the greatest guitar player on earth, he replied: "I don't know...go, ask Steve Lukather!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Frank,

    Are you sure it's RF? That seems likely by what you said, but it's just as likely your whole condo has a power problem. You're in a new home with different power lines and I'm assuming in a different part of the city/town where you live.

    It could just as easily be dirty AC power coming from the grid.
    BFR JP7 - Amethyst Burst - 5/29/08
    JP7 - Stealth - 3/22/10
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP - 4/9/12
    __________________________________________________
    Axe-Fx II, QSC K12 (x2)
    www.concealcincinnati.com

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by e.mate View Post
    ....a friend of mine got a problem from a washing machine in the basement, which provoked a hum in his bass amp. Took him six months to find out
    Haha that sounds really frustrating. "Hey, could you please do your laundry tomorrow? I'm laying down some tracks"

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    There is alot of useful information in this article. Even though it revolves primarily around single coil pickups, some of the methods used can be useful for quieting any guitar.

    http://www.mcquain.com/lespaul/Strat...lding_Tips.pdf

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Get ahold of your local power company, explain your problem to them best you can and ask them come out and investigate. There could be something very wrong and they would most likely want to know about it. What you are describing does not sound normal.
    could also be someone else, a neighbor, doing something that is causing the interference.
    Does it do it constantly, 24 hours a day?

    Silhouette Special Pearl Blue rosewood, hardtail
    Silhouette Special Candy Apple Red, rosewood hardtail
    Silhouette Special in Carbon Blue Pearl maple neck tremolo
    Sub 1 Black hardail Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Graphite tremolo Routed SS style
    Sub 1 Pearl Blue hardtail, now with BGPups Pure 90's
    Sub 1 Cinnamon hardtail Routed SS style
    Handwired '65 Princeton Reverb Head with Hoffman turret board
    2 x 12 cab (Celestion and Weber)
    Best radio station in USA
    http://www.ktnnonline.com

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by David Corrales View Post
    Haha that sounds really frustrating. "Hey, could you please do your laundry tomorrow? I'm laying down some tracks"
    ...and I didn't even point out that it was a bass player
    Music Man SUB1 | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Emerald Green (rosewood neck)
    Music Man Silo Special | Graphite Pearl
    Music Man Silo Special/Luke | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Purple Metallic (custom)
    Music Man Axis Sport | Trans Red (custom)


    ...when EVH was asked by Johnny Carson, what it would be like, to be the greatest guitar player on earth, he replied: "I don't know...go, ask Steve Lukather!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jamminjim View Post
    Get ahold of your local power company, explain your problem to them best you can and ask them come out and investigate. There could be something very wrong and they would most likely want to know about it. What you are describing does not sound normal.
    could also be someone else, a neighbor, doing something that is causing the interference.
    Does it do it constantly, 24 hours a day?
    I concur with this. They should check out the power lines up to the meter on your house for no charge. if it's the meter itself or after the meter, it's most likely your responsibility.
    BFR JP7 - Amethyst Burst - 5/29/08
    JP7 - Stealth - 3/22/10
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP - 4/9/12
    __________________________________________________
    Axe-Fx II, QSC K12 (x2)
    www.concealcincinnati.com

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bkrumme View Post
    Frank,

    Are you sure it's RF? That seems likely by what you said, but it's just as likely your whole condo has a power problem. You're in a new home with different power lines and I'm assuming in a different part of the city/town where you live.

    It could just as easily be dirty AC power coming from the grid.
    I am not savvy in this matter, I think it could be RF because the hum is dynamic in the sence that it changes in intensity when I move around,but I still cannot find a spot in the condo where it will be fully quiet.

    You are right, it is a different part of town but the building is only 6 years old. The fact the noise also happens in the hallway outside my apartment is disconcerting. If it is a dirty AC power from the grid, is there a way I can "clean" it? is that what a power conditioner is fur?
    I was also reading about this little guy, would it help?
    Ebtech - Audio Solutions
    Francisco Meza
    Youtube Channel

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jamminjim View Post
    Get ahold of your local power company, explain your problem to them best you can and ask them come out and investigate. There could be something very wrong and they would most likely want to know about it. What you are describing does not sound normal.
    could also be someone else, a neighbor, doing something that is causing the interference.
    Does it do it constantly, 24 hours a day?
    calling Toronto Hydro sounds like a good idea,but hopefully they'll give a s#1t

    I haven't tried in the morning, I'll check thanks for all the tips guys
    Francisco Meza
    Youtube Channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums