Everlast

Thread: String tension question

User Info Menu

String tension question

Hey, guys, you can see by by sig line I've wandered over from the bass side, but I play (play being a relative term) a little guitar. Anyway, I just received my new JP50 Christmas Eve, and I noticed the strings feel a bit stiffer than on the Ibanez it's replacing. Slinkys of the same gauge on both, and as far as I know, both guitars are the same scale length. Am I imagining this or is there a scientific reason for this phenomenon? BTW, I have you bums over here raving about the JP50 to blame for me getting one, and all I have to say is THANKS. What a great instrument.

Dave
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

User Info Menu

It's your imagination. Same scale and string size requires exactly the same tension. Have fun with the JP50. I've played a few and they are very nice guitars.
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

User Info Menu

The action on one could be lower, so you have to press down less so it would feel like there is less tention. My guess

User Info Menu

nut height may be higher on the JP50. You should also look at the amount of relief in the neck, straightening it out will make the strings lower at the nut/first fret areas and loosen up the tension.

the JP50 has a standard 25.5" scale.

User Info Menu

If the ibanez has a locking trem or a hard tail the feel of the strings will be different than the JP's non-locking, floating trem. That could also be a factor.

Candy Red, Maple Fretboard '97 Silo Special, slightly modified.
    (Pearloid tuner buttons, tortoise pickguard, Motor City Pickups Afwayu)
    Pearl Red Burst Fully Loaded JP6

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. The Ibanez does have a locking trem, and Pat, the setup right out of the box seems perfect, so I really hesitate to adjust anything. I'm just so impressed with this guitar.
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbassman23 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The Ibanez does have a locking trem, and Pat, the setup right out of the box seems perfect, so I really hesitate to adjust anything. I'm just so impressed with this guitar.

User Info Menu

What about changing string gauge?

User Info Menu

String tension can be (or feel) less or more based on more than scale length. Scale length doesn't equal total string length. Even in some cases a different trem block (some inset retainers are deeper than others), bridge design, saddles, string trees, etc can change the string tension of a given guitar.

User Info Menu

the overall string length has an effect on tension. I'm talking the distance from the ball end to the tuner. the longer sting length you have the tighter tension you will have. If you have a cheap beater guitar, around install some string trees on the B & E strings. You'll notice the tension eases up. By shortening the string length (not affecting the scale length) you make the tension lighter.

Also nut height has a big effect on the tension and high nut height will make for stiffer tension and intonation issues that can't be worked out at the bridge.