Slash Signature Strings
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axis EX Made in Japan or SLO?

User Info Menu

with out pics it doesn't exist... or something like that...lol... Welcome to the Forum
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

going to Japan in 2 weeks will try to get a pink Axis
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Welcome. Pics please...
    The world needs more Balls!
    1995 EVH - DOB 8/25/95 - Trans Red Hardtail
    1996 Albert Lee HHH - DOB 3/8/96 - Black
    1999 Axis - DOB 3/11/99 - Natural
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette - Rosewood w/Trem - DOB 9/21/06 - Caramel Burst
    2007 Silhouette w/Piezo - DOB 7/26/07 - Desert Gold
    2007 Albert Lee - DOB 10/25/07 - Vintage Sunburst
    2009 25th Anniversary - DOB 8/13/09 - BFR Rosewood Neck - SN 001 of 25
    2010 Silhouette Special SSS - DOB 1/26/10 - Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Before you say it I know this is a thread resurrection!
    I have been reading about the EX models and lots of info on here about them except for the part of why they were made in Japan with the EBMM logo, what was the reason for this?
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Slash SD Pups

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

Funny this came back up. I was just looking for info about these. Some phenomenal EXs for sale lately.

User Info Menu

Here is more info...for those interested

User Info Menu

OK, Derek and I chatted today and I was 99% (OK, 100%) wrong. Here's the story behind the Axis EX, straight from Derek:

"Axis Ex was a program for Kanda Shokai to keep offering an EVH Style guitar since the demand was so great in Japan after we stopped making the Van Halen model in 1995 (we stopped shipping the Eddie in Sept 95 -- not sure how soon after the Axis EX started). The EX bodies and necks were crafted in Japan and we provided hardware, pickups, etc. They had a page for Axis (crafted by EBMM) and Axis EX (crafted by KS) in their catalog. We discontinued the program around 2003. They had plenty in stock so they kept selling them for a while after…"

Derek, if I got any of that wrong, set me straight!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    OK, Derek and I chatted today and I was 99% (OK, 100%) wrong. Here's the story behind the Axis EX, straight from Derek:

"Axis Ex was a program for Kanda Shokai to keep offering an EVH Style guitar since the demand was so great in Japan after we stopped making the Van Halen model in 1995 (we stopped shipping the Eddie in Sept 95 -- not sure how soon after the Axis EX started). The EX bodies and necks were crafted in Japan and we provided hardware, pickups, etc. They had a page for Axis (crafted by EBMM) and Axis EX (crafted by KS) in their catalog. We discontinued the program around 2003. They had plenty in stock so they kept selling them for a while after…"

Derek, if I got any of that wrong, set me straight!

it always seems there's confusion about this model. i remember reading somewhere (mail or this forum) a message from big poppa or someone inside ebmm, that all the parts, including the wood, were made in usa and shipped to japan just for assembling. or at least for some time right after the evh ebmm split.

now from what i know, having gathered info for almost 10 years, owning 2 of ex's, 1 evh and 1 axis usa, and after watching hundreds of photos of this model, even with specific details, i can say this:

ex and evh (and axis) sound exactly the same

ex and evh have exactly the same hardware (gotoh bridge, same pickups - ex with the patent number, like axis after 95, same tuners, same switch)

there is the same issue with the high e string slipping off the fretboard on high frets, both with ex or evh

the ex has a maple top, just as thick as evh, 4 mm.

early ex have two piece tops and it seems that that is a solid 2 piece top. one of mine is that way, but i never took it apart to check. as far as i know the earliest ex's are from 97, mine has a 97 volume pot. those have the serial number that starts with A, have the old logo on the neck plate and most have 2 piece tops

the later one still have the 4 mm maple top, but there is a very thin veneer glued over that, which is 1 piece maple, so the top looks like a 1 piece. i had one of those too

just like the evh and axis, the ex have the fading issue, especially blue and black ones, green also.

and last, the neck profile varies. one ex i owned had a thicker neck profile, but the other one is almost identical to my 2011 axis ( which i feel is a little thicker than my 95 evh )

here are some photos of details of an early ex (but no 2 piece top) which i came across lately (this is not mine)

hope this helps

Axis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-7-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-4-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-8-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-13-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-15-jpg

User Info Menu

Axis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-22-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-18-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-19-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-20-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-21-jpg

User Info Menu

Axis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-23-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-24-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-27-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-25-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-26-jpg

User Info Menu

Axis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-28-jpgAxis EX Made in Japan or SLO?-29-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice thanks for sharing
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, i know this is an old thread, but just wondering. I just bought one of these axis ex online. I want to check a few things out. does anyone have any pictures of the headstock join? it looks to me as if this is a separate piece of wood, as it looks like a completely separate piece, although I aint sure.

User Info Menu

Post a photo. The headstock should ABSOLUTELY be the same piece of wood the rest of the neck is carved from. The only "seam" you should see is the one where the fretboard meets the back of the neck (because the fretboard was cut from the neck blank to route and install the truss rod, then put back on. But the headstock is absolutely the same piece of wood as the whole neck. This is the case on ALL Music Man guitars since Ernie Ball took over (and maybe the pre-EB as well, but I don't know about them). EBMM has never done a scarf joint headstock. Even on the Majesty which has a tilt-back headstock.

Could it have been a repair for a broken off headstock? Post photos!

User Info Menu

What Jeff said plus ... on EBMM models where the headstock is finished and the neck has the gunstock oil & wax finish, there is a slight but visible "line" where the hard finish from the neck ends and the natural oiled and waxed wood begins. This "line" is even with the with the nut and will exist along the entire back-of-neck circumference. But, as Jeff mentioned, except in the case of a repair, it is the same piece of wood. Perhaps this is what you are noticing?
    Last edited by agt; 06-19-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP