Ready to Roar

Thread: Fret Protector Recommendations?

User Info Menu

Fret Protector Recommendations?

Hi,

About a year ago, the plastic fret protector for my PV Wolfgang mysterious dissappeared and I have noticed a bit more of the light string dents in my frets as a result. Replacement PV Wolfgang fret protectors rarely show up on ebay and when they do, the prices are just stupid. I just got an EBMM Axis and I was wondering what you all recommend for using as a fret protector? Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

if you got a hard case.......you really dont need to worry about it.
    if your sporting a gig bag........u could easily make one. go to an arts and crafts store, buy some plastic and a small amount of velcro. done..

Quote Originally Posted by klownhere View Post
    Hi,

About a year ago, the plastic fret protector for my PV Wolfgang mysterious dissappeared and I have noticed a bit more of the light string dents in my frets as a result. Replacement PV Wolfgang fret protectors rarely show up on ebay and when they do, the prices are just stupid. I just got an EBMM Axis and I was wondering what you all recommend for using as a fret protector? Thanks for the help!
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Suhr's ship with them. Perhaps you could call them and purchase one. I assume the Wolfgang has stainless steel frets?
    Last edited by ProtoChicken; 02-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I have never seen this phenomemon. I smell balogna frying.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

I had a Wolfie long ago that had a fret protector.....I couldn't get the guitar to sound right at all with that thing on there. So I sold that guitar and bought an Axis
    No malice intended. Just my opinion. Take care. Bob

Trans Pink Tribute Axis - G62247 - DOB 12/9/11
    Axe-Fx II/MFC-101/Mission Engineering EP-1 & SP-1/Verve FBT 12ma's

User Info Menu

By one signed by the "All-American Boy"
    Official Rick Derringer Merchandise
    2009 AL PBB Hardtail, MM90s & Piezo
    2010 HH AL Hardtail Powder Blue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bbake1 View Post
    I had a Wolfie long ago that had a fret protector.....I couldn't get the guitar to sound right at all with that thing on there. So I sold that guitar and bought an Axis
    hahaha

User Info Menu

Thanks, catdaddy, I will look into that one.

User Info Menu

When you see someone selling a piece of plastic for $40 on ebay and people buying it it makes you wonder. The funny thing is all you have to do is call up Peavey and order one for about $15. You can get the same parts like Back plates, tuners ,trem bars and the likes that people sell on the bay for crazy prices by just giving the serial number of your Wolf.

Peavey and EBMM both have great or I will go as far as saying the best customer care departments in the business I like the fret protectors but cant say for sure if it is a proven fact that they actually work, though there is no arguing that all they can do is help.

I have guitars that I have not played much in years and never saw indentations in the frets from being in the case. Just makes sure if you have quite a few guitars you store them right. Never stack cases on top of each other as the guitars on the bottom that have all the weight on them can get damaged. I store mine standing and not flay which I believe is the best way.

User Info Menu

Cool. I didn't know that Peavey was still selling the Wolfgang fret protectors. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Just called Peavey.. he told me they have not sold those in a long time.. none in stock

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ochay View Post
    Just called Peavey.. he told me they have not sold those in a long time.. none in stock
    Well yah that post is from 2010.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

I remember seeing those back in the day. I question whether they really are important at times other than when you are shipping a guitar. There's also little reason why a cloth wouldn't be just as effective.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Never seen or heard of a fret protector before ... I assumed it was the hard case