Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal

Thread: Trems...

User Info Menu

Trems...

Hey guys,

I currently own a Silo with trem that I bought new back in Feb 09. I love it! It plays really really great! So I set up the trem using 3 springs and had the bridge angled up slightly for some "pull back" but it didnt stay in tune so great. It wasnt as bad as say a Fenders 6 point trem. So I installed a Tremol-No to keep it fixed. About 6 months ago I tried using it again. And just like before it didnt stay in tune well enough to make me want to keep the bridge angled up. Now Im not a trem abuser. But Id like to be able to do some dives and flutters and be able to do some screaming harmonics and what not. I used to have a JP6 that did all those whammy tricks and stayed in tune fairly well. So yet again Im thinking of un-locking the Tremol-no and setting up the trem so I can use it. So anyone have any input as to how they set up their Silos trem? Or how much use (or abuse) can their trem take before it takes its toll on its tuning? Any info would be great....
    Currently Balls

Silhouette
    Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

If you're going to "float" that particular trem, then you are going to have to set it up "perfectly" if you want it to stay in tune after use - simple as that.

And, angling that trem is not the way to get off to a good start!!

User Info Menu

I see no reason the trem couldn't be set up to float and still return to pitch, assuming the nut does not bind, which unless you're using very heavy strings, shouldn't be an issue.

There's a lot to be said for cleaning and lubing a trem, such as the knife edge contact with the two posts, and a tad lube in the nut grooves won't hurt either. I even use a touch over my bent steel saddles. No tuning issues.

User Info Menu

I guess the Silo trem is no treally made for floating...that's JP territory.

However, I have operated a few hard dive bomb attacks on my Silo and I didn't have any detuning issue. Maybe it's really just a lubrication issue.
    Music Man SUB1 | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Emerald Green (rosewood neck)
    Music Man Silo Special | Graphite Pearl
    Music Man Silo Special/Luke | Black (custom)
    Music Man Silo Special | Purple Metallic (custom)
    Music Man Axis Sport | Trans Red (custom)

...when EVH was asked by Johnny Carson, what it would be like, to be the greatest guitar player on earth, he replied: "I don't know...go, ask Steve Lukather!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User Info Menu

Hello

I own a SUB and I believe the tremolo is the same as the Silo.
    My trem does not float and I use 3 springs. Before I was using 9-42 gauge strings and the tuning was sometimes off after some whammy abuse ...
    Now I use 10-46 strings and all the problems are gone. There is more tension thus it's easier for the strings to go back in place (well, that's my analysis but I am not a guitar tech ).
    Of course you have also to check that the nut slots are adapted to the string you use and also you can lubricate the slots with a pencil.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Hello

I own a SUB and I believe the tremolo is the same as the Silo.
    My trem does not float and I use 3 springs. Before I was using 9-42 gauge strings and the tuning was sometimes off after some whammy abuse ...
    Now I use 10-46 strings and all the problems are gone. There is more tension thus it's easier for the strings to go back in place (well, that's my analysis but I am not a guitar tech ).
    Of course you have also to check that the nut slots are adapted to the string you use and also you can lubricate the slots with a pencil.
    That's a very good point...what string gauge do you use on the Silo? I heard of problems with 11-52 Strings on a standard nut...

...when EVH was asked by Johnny Carson, what it would be like, to be the greatest guitar player on earth, he replied: "I don't know...go, ask Steve Lukather!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by e.mate View Post
    That's a very good point...what string gauge do you use on the Silo? I heard of problems with 11-52 Strings on a standard nut...
    I use 10-46s and I forgot to mention that I replaced the stock saddles with Graphtech String Saver Saddles. I also use the Big Bends Nut Sauce.
    Currently Balls

Silhouette
    Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Progdude View Post
    I use 10-46s and I forgot to mention that I replaced the stock saddles with Graphtech String Saver Saddles. I also use the Big Bends Nut Sauce.
    strange...sounds all perfect to me What's going on with your Silo???

User Info Menu

...and by the way....how does the F-word combine with "Silhouette" in your gear list?

User Info Menu

There really should not be any issue with the tuning stability. However it does happen to mine sometimes as well...it's usually the G string that gets out of tune. It has been happening to mine only recently though. I did lubricate it and put on new strings. What I have found out is that it depends on the tuning of the G, B and high E strings. It just has to be set up properly, because when I fine tune it, the guitar stays in tune quite well even when doing some heavy dives. My 20th Silo stays in tune perfectly all the time though, and it is also set up to float. I think it's really just a matter of setting it up properly and lubing everything as well. I probably have to lube the trem knife edges a bit as well.
    GEAR:
    -2010 EBMM SM-Y2D

Blackstar HT-20 Head
    Mesa Boogie 3/4 1x12

User Info Menu

It shouldn't be any different than a Luke which is setup to "float" from the factory except for the piezo version.

Once you get it setup are the strings stretched properly? If there's no binding in the nut or term posts then you shouldn't have an issue with it.
    Play Ball!!

User Info Menu

make sure the nut slots are clean. dust and dirt get inside the slots and make the strings bind as the slot becomes tighter. you should be able to lift the string out of the slot without it catching. also, should be no squeaking sounds if the string is bent or trem used. The squeak means the string is too tight in the slot. Some compressed air and or an old string is good to clean the slot.

I have a Silo30 sample in my office that I set up to float and it stays in tune great. That MM trem is a solid working trem and if set up right should stay in tune almost perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patpark View Post
    make sure the nut slots are clean. dust and dirt get inside the slots and make the strings bind as the slot becomes tighter. you should be able to lift the string out of the slot without it catching. also, should be no squeaking sounds if the string is bent or trem used. The squeak means the string is too tight in the slot. Some compressed air and or an old string is good to clean the slot.

I have a Silo30 sample in my office that I set up to float and it stays in tune great. That MM trem is a solid working trem and if set up right should stay in tune almost perfect.
    can't wait for that Silo30 to be release. Really love to hear the basswood and single coil combination
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by e.mate View Post
    ...and by the way....how does the F-word combine with "Silhouette" in your gear list?
    It was a joke. your the first one who said something. Ok Ill change it now.

as for my Silo any one have any other ideas?
    Currently Balls

Silhouette
    Axis Super Sport