Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: smy2d pickup height

User Info Menu

smy2d pickup height

Hi All,

Fellow smy2d w tremolo owner here.. Can someone please post the original factory pickup heights of the hsh pickups? I've had this axe since December 08 and still fiddling around with it..

Can't seem to get much difference between the hh and the neck h sounds.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Hello

Tommy (Steve Morse's guitar tech) gave the settings of Steve guitar. Now, you have to use the search function of this forum to find the thread
    Fortunately, the Steve Morse owner Club give you the answer :

Steve Morse's pickups height (thanks to Tommy for the measurements !) :

main y2d pickups are currently as follows.
    neck=5/32
    bridge single=4/32
    bridge hummer=4/32

6/32 neck humbucker
    6/32 slanted single (pickup cover is flush w/ the pickguard)
    9/64 bridge single
    9/64 bridge humbucker

this varies on the y2d on the bridge hummer pickup from time to time (slightly)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Hello

Tommy (Steve Morse's guitar tech) gave the settings of Steve guitar. Now, you have to use the search function of this forum to find the thread
    Fortunately, the Steve Morse owner Club give you the answer :

Steve Morse's pickups height (thanks to Tommy for the measurements !) :

neck=5/32
    bridge single=4/32
    bridge hummer=4/32

6/32 neck humbucker
    6/32 slanted single (pickup cover is flush w/ the pickguard)
    9/64 bridge single
    9/64 bridge humbucker

this varies on the y2d on the bridge hummer pickup from time to time (slightly)
    Tommy is the man!
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.. Yes I did do a search and saw the post for the #1 setup. I've also seen posts about Tommy being the official techie so perhaps he may be able to provide the string height he sets for Steve's floyd guitars along with the string gauges? I'd be curious to play the guitar setup similarly to Steve's. For example I have no idea whether he plays high action or not. If I did not live in Australia, I'd be sending mine for a setup job without doubt..
    Last edited by cionian; 06-12-2010 at 04:02 AM.

User Info Menu

well i dont use rulers.....so i dont have cold #'s for ya......but i can tell ya the action i keep as low as possible and still have enough clearance to play power cords clearly and bend notes up at least 1 and a half steps w/out choking out. as the fret work from ebmm is always proper rockin.......i am always able to achieve low action w/ a very small amount of neck relief. the truss rod is typically only giving a little relief. some.....but not much at all. guitar necks are made of wood.....so they all are slightly different.....

Quote Originally Posted by cionian View Post
    Thanks guys.. Yes I did do a search and saw the post for the #1 setup. I've also seen posts about Tommy being the official techie so perhaps he may be able to provide the string height he sets for Steve's floyd guitars along with the string gauges? I'd be curious to play the guitar setup similarly to Steve's. For example I have no idea whether he plays high action or not. If I did not live in Australia, I'd be sending mine for a setup job without doubt..
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Tommy, thanks.. I was hoping you might have actual measurements as it's hard to get a straight answer here in Aus.. Perhaps if you have a chance in the future to quickly measure your setup and post it for me? I'd be grateful.

User Info Menu

Tommy, thanks.. I was hoping you might have actual measurements as it's hard to get a straight answer here in Aus.. Perhaps if you have a chance in the future to quickly measure your setup and post it for me? I'd be grateful.
    If you're in Brisbane I can help you out?

User Info Menu

In Melb; if you have a floyd y2d, are you able to post your setup?

User Info Menu

I'd take it to a good repair guy in Melbourne then, if you need some names send me an email colin (at) guitarplanet.com.au

User Info Menu

Just wanted the to know how SM actually uses his, alternatively wanted a reference for a setup which works well. Thanks anyway.

User Info Menu

they are posted above..

tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

The postings are for the pickups, I was referring to string heights and if in the future you might have those measurements you might be so kind to post them.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyindelaware View Post
    they are posted above..

User Info Menu

neck=5/32
    bridge single=4/32
    bridge hummer=4/32
    ...)
    Sorry to resurrect this thread again..and possibly may be a stupid question but I have to ask. Are the above measurements related to the top of the pickups to the bottom of the string or are they a measurement of how far they protrude from the body? I bought a rule which has imperial measurements on it, set each pickup so that their tops measure the above from the strings..they seem very high and the output is hot as.. Steve also seems to talk about the pickups not being set as high in the vids.. A clarification would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

I believe it's the distance between the top of the pickup and the strings.

At the beginning, I wanted my Morse to be exactly like Steve's number 1, but now I think you have to adjust the height depending on your equipment (amps, pedals ...) and your style. Now for instance, my bridge single coil is the higher pickup because I am in a Rory Gallagher phase where I need to have a single coil with high output.

User Info Menu

I believe it's the distance between the top of the pickup and the strings.

At the beginning, I wanted my Morse to be exactly like Steve's number 1, but now I think you have to adjust the height depending on your equipment (amps, pedals ...) and your style. Now for instance, my bridge single coil is the higher pickup because I am in a Rory Gallagher phase where I need to have a single coil with high output.
    Good point.. Tone varies quite a bit when adjusting and I'm trying to find the sweet spot where each individual pickup sounds good as well as together; for example, the above settings do produce good results but there's virtually no difference between the two humbuckers and the neck only. The only way I can have any meaningful difference is having the neck virtually flush with the body whilst the bridge is way up high..which doesn't seem right.

Do other y2d owners have similar thoughts? Is the neck only sound very similar to neck + bridge?