Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: AXIS DOB Please, when you get a chance

User Info Menu

AXIS DOB Please, when you get a chance

Looking for DOB on Axis G03689... No hurry, when ever you can.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hugh

User Info Menu

10/8/98

User Info Menu

Wow...she's got a birthday coming up. Better treat 'er good!
    Darrell W. Fulwilder
    Scottsdale, Arizona USA
    ----------
    -1994 EVH, red quilt top
    -2001 Silhouette Special SSS Blue Dawn finish
    -Ernie Ball 6166 Volume Pedal
    -Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings exclusively
    ----------
    "I play Ernie Ball, or I don't play."

User Info Menu

Wow

Kind of weird. I just got this guitar. It was new. I've heard of people sometimes getting "new" guitars that were a year or two old. But 7 years? Man.
    It doesn't bother me as I love the guitar no matter what it's age. My only concern is that I don't think it's been given much TLC in that time. I had my oil and wax waiting when I brought the guitar home. I followed the directions on the FAQ section to the letter, with a little extra elbow grease. I removed the neck treated it and put it back on. I took the trem off, took it apart, soaked it, cleaned it and coated it with some oil. Set everything back up and it's great. I know people say it about these guitars all the time, but it feels like I've been playing it for years. Anyway, I just thought it strange that a store can have a guitar in stock for 7 years as new. (I don't know if they actually had it in their store for 7 years)..... Anyway, I'm not mad about it or anything. I got a guitar I really love. In fact my poor JEM has been on the stand ever since I got the Axis.
    Anyway, I'm glad to be here among other people who appreciate fine instruments.

User Info Menu

Hmmm....dunno what it's exact definition would be, but be this certainly sounds like a "new old stock" (a/k/a "NOS") item to me. Technically, it IS "new", but it's been gathering dust.

My experiences with NOS are that it's a specialty piece, maybe sometimes isn't even made anymore, but is usually in good condition and priced at or near the price it was when it was a more actively marketed item as opposed to being let go cheap in a "blowout sale" to make room for new stuff. Usually the smaller stores have a lot of NOS since they don't turn over as much merch, but the big guys occasionally have some around too.

EBMM's often seem to be NOS, from looking at some of the purchases that guys here have made from the stores that have a lot of them on hand, JimiD's green Axis being a prime example of one that was gotten at a great price. However, some dealers hold onto them for years and never seem to consider a markdown...a certain seller around the corner in Long Island seems to spring to mind (right, OC?)...

Perhaps Bassplyr or one of the other retail guys who lurk here can better define this - hop in, boys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSport
    EBMM's often seem to be NOS, from looking at some of the purchases that guys here have made from the stores that have a lot of them on hand, JimiD's green Axis being a prime example of one that was gotten at a great price. However, some dealers hold onto them for years and never seem to consider a markdown...a certain seller around the corner in Long Island seems to spring to mind (right, OC?)...

Yeah Purps....

I know EXACTLY who you are referring too. Custom faded purple limited edition my ass. Take the piece out of the frickn' window..... I mean really c'mon....I've seen that on in person too. It's terrible.
    Congress is the opposite of Progress.