Straps 2020
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tremolo setup

User Info Menu

Tremolo setup

Hello

One the TGP forum, someone posted a nice video of Carl Verheyen, where he explains how he setups his tremolo :
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-F7iSIopA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Carl Verheyen Guitar Lesson 2 - Whammy Bar Setup Secrets[/ame]

Carl uses a Fend... but if it works on a Fend..., it will work better on a MusicMan

So I tried to setup my SUB with Carl's technique ... and it works perfectly

Before, my tremolo was decked. With Carl's setup the tremolo stays really in tune (but with a MusicMan tremolo it's always the case) but it allows also to try some nice licks (for instance the Jeff Beck licks that Carl show in the video).

It's really worth a try. I don't know if I will keep this setup but I am tempted ...

User Info Menu

Nice video...I actually realized this some time ago as well. Like Carl said it really is just physics...so the angling of the trem claw makes perfect sense.
    GEAR:
    -2010 EBMM SM-Y2D

Blackstar HT-20 Head
    Mesa Boogie 3/4 1x12

User Info Menu

Oh, that's a cool thing to try out on the AL, I guess !

Thanks a lot, Francois
    90267 EBMM Silhouette SSS Natural Non-Trem 6-bolt, born 02-05-1990
    95857 EBMM Steve Morse Blueburst Stoptail, born 26-08-94

0374 Ron Kirn Barn Buster, born 11-10

2007 Tokai ULS-150Q wine red

2004 Siggi Braun Custom Shop "Brunnhild" SSH Floyd Rose

2008 Guerilla M-SR 7 FR Gash Longbow 7-String, 27'' scale

Takamine Hirade TH 5 (classical), born 04

User Info Menu

How exactly did you go about setting it up like that?

User Info Menu

Intersting think I will setup my Luke floating again my concern is that my bends are not in tune and I need to adjust
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrd View Post
    How exactly did you go about setting it up like that?
    Its quite easy. First you setup your claws in order to have the tremolo perfectly decked. After that, you unscrew a bit the claw for the high strings and you measure on the G string the effect of a full tremolo bend. If it's not enough (for instance the bend on the G string gives you a G#) you unscrew a bit the same claw. After a few tries you will have the perfect minor third (Bb) on the G string tremolo bend.

After that, it can be useful to check the intonation because your tremolo moved a bit.
    It took me 20 minutes and it's always easy to go back to the original tremolo setup.

Good luck if you try this setup

User Info Menu

Nice Video.
    My LEAL is floating at the moment and I think I'll adjust it a la video clip.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Thanks Fbecir, that's a great way to set it up

Just one note commrades: when you do have a floating bridge which is originally designed for dives only, be sure that when you do "pull up" on the bar that it hits the deck "evenly"!

And, because this will almost certainly take place when you set up your "equal" string action (one correction always takes away from the other!!), you can remedy this using bridge "shims, so that the bridge lands "square" on the deck and your action stays equal under all strings as well.

User Info Menu

This is exactly how my lukes are set up. Allows all those kinda things, plus the Luke 'smack on the whammy bar' trick.

Only downside is that you can't do three note bends as easily, but if I'm doing those, it's generally a country song and I'll be using one of my hardtails anyway.

User Info Menu

I tried a variation of this putting more springs on the bass side, but I might give that a go. Normally I dont like that much play on the bar.
    09 Steve Morse Dargie Delight 2
    09 AXIS SUPER SPORT CABERNET PEARL HARDTAIL W/ ROSEWOOD NECK
    08 LUKE BLACK
    03 Sub Bass 4 String Active Black W/Diamond Plate PG
    05 Sub HH Graphite W/Black PG Hardtail

http://www.soundclick.com/slingy
    http://www.riffworld.com/Members/GuitarSlinger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_au View Post
    This is exactly how my lukes are set up. Allows all those kinda things, plus the Luke 'smack on the whammy bar' trick.

Only downside is that you can't do three note bends as easily, but if I'm doing those, it's generally a country song and I'll be using one of my hardtails anyway.
    Now I remember why I set it flat on the Luke my 3 notes bends where just awful This is a big part of my playing being a huge Clapton and Gilmour fan
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Now I remember why I set it flat on the Luke my 3 notes bends where just awful This is a big part of my playing being a huge Clapton and Gilmour fan
    I dont seem to have a problem with this on my Y2D hehehe . This is exactly why it is a good excuse to have more guitars.

Back on topic again with the setting up of the trem, I loosened the trem claw on the side of the high strings a bit more, and the results certainly do work. I had a smaller angle before, but now I dont have the problem at all when you do a wide bend for example and it goes out of tune...especially on the G string. I love physics!
    GEAR:
    -2010 EBMM SM-Y2D

Blackstar HT-20 Head
    Mesa Boogie 3/4 1x12

User Info Menu

I did this on my Albert Lee, played two shows this weekend, and was really pleased with how well it stayed in tune. I'm using four Raw Vintage springs on mine to smooth it out. I'm going to tweak the up-pull intervals, but this has great promise.
    With any floating trem you have to deal with the tuning issues when doing multiple-string bends.
    Albert Lee, BFR rosewood neck, Pearl White, SSS trem, Suhr FLs and Silent Singlecoil System

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Romance View Post
    With any floating trem you have to deal with the tuning issues when doing multiple-string bends.
    True, and the other problem is when you have to change the tuning of a string (if you want to play in drop D for instance) : you have to tune all the strings. It can be a problem during a show where you don't have a lot of time for tuning (try to explain to a drummer that it's not really a good idea to start a song when you are still tuning your guitar )

User Info Menu

I moved the discussion here to not hijack the blackstar thread

I sent an e-mail to CS on this , let's see their opinion.

I am not sure if "full tremolo bend" as you explain in your thread can be a reference point for everyone of us.
    full tremolo bend = you can not pull up more the tremolo bar? that's a little subjective reference point.

as I understand: after unscrewing the spring for the G B E strings, you suggested checking on the G string to pull up the tremolo until you have the perfect minor third (Bb) on the G string tremolo bend?
    and when obtaining that the suggested setup is done?

Quote Originally Posted by fbecir View Post
    Well, really it's not difficult. Just measure the original position of the clamps. If you are not happy with your new setup you just have to go back to the original position.
    You only need a screwdriver and a tuner to check the amount of bend you apply on the strings.