Ready to Roar

Thread: I need some help with speakers

User Info Menu

I need some help with speakers

i have an old marshall cab that has 25 watt green backs in it, 2 are blown now and was wondering if i should replace them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with eminence speakers. i would like to redo the whole cab , the 2 remaining speakers are almost gone too. so not sure if i should stick to celestions which are more expensive or go with eminence which are not so expensive. please i could use some help on this. thanks guys
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    2015 PDN Steve Morse Y2D
    Depurple burst y2d
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling AX40D
    and a bunch of guitars I don't really play anymore

User Info Menu

I've used the eminence speakers in a 210 cab i had built... kinda regret selling that one too...

i used the lil buddy speakers and they were great... very similar to Tone Tubby speakers at a fraction of the cost...

can't say enough good things about the quality of the products.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

I was looking at the eminence legend speakers ,and the governor looked promising. but still not sure what to put in this cab.
    Gio

2015 PDN Steve Morse Y2D
    Depurple burst y2d
    Purple Sterling AX40D

User Info Menu

If you still want to keep the Greenback tone, why not recone? Weber offers this service for $65/speaker. WeberVST Recone Input Form

That's way cheaper than you can buy a new Eminence or Celestion, and you can keep your cab original. Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marillion-freak View Post
    If you still want to keep the Greenback tone, why not recone? Weber offers this service for $65/speaker. WeberVST Recone Input Form

That's way cheaper than you can buy a new Eminence or Celestion, and you can keep your cab original. Just a thought.
    great thought i will look into it, i wasnt going to do that around here cause the only guy that does takes about 6 months to get things done and is expensive
    Gio

2015 PDN Steve Morse Y2D
    Depurple burst y2d
    Purple Sterling AX40D

User Info Menu

re-coning is a great idea. the 25 greenbacks are legendary
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here

User Info Menu

Take a look at this thread that provides a comparison of 'speakers?

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/gene...ideo-clip.html
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

User Info Menu

There's a lot to selecting a speaker. A lot depends on the amp you're using, style of music you play and what kind of cab it is.

On the Greenback thing ... when you say "old greenbacks" ... how old? The prized ones are the "pre-Rolas", from the 60s. There's an epic thread on TGP for help identifying them from the frame/cage codes:
    Celestion "Greenback" ID thread, pics, descriptions, etc. - The Gear Page

You can re-cone the old ones. I had an old cab I bought with 4 of them, and in fact 2 were blown and needed reconing. I sent them to Weber, who does a "pre-Rola" speaker doping, did a fantastic job.

If you're familiar with Scumback Speakers (the guy in the above thread), they make a clone of the old greenbacks that's dead on. (Weber actually manufactures them, so they're good to recone your old ones if need be.) The Scumbacks aren't that expensive and sound fantastic- I've got one one in a 1x12 that sounds huge.

User Info Menu

I would definitely get Weber to re-cone those speakers. You aren't going to buy anything new that sounds better. I've got 4 old greenbacks myself, and if they ever need it they'll be getting re-coned. I've got dozens of other speakers, but none sound as good.
    The world needs more Balls!
    1995 EVH - DOB 8/25/95 - Trans Red Hardtail
    1996 Albert Lee HHH - DOB 3/8/96 - Black
    1999 Axis - DOB 3/11/99 - Natural
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette - Rosewood w/Trem - DOB 9/21/06 - Caramel Burst
    2007 Silhouette w/Piezo - DOB 7/26/07 - Desert Gold
    2007 Albert Lee - DOB 10/25/07 - Vintage Sunburst
    2009 25th Anniversary - DOB 8/13/09 - BFR Rosewood Neck - SN 001 of 25
    2010 Silhouette Special SSS - DOB 1/26/10 - Olive Gold