Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Axe-Fx: Anyone using one?

User Info Menu

Axe-Fx: Anyone using one?

Not that I'm unhappy with my TC Electronics gear, but I'm always looking to try something new.

Anyone got one of these things? What do you think of it? As an effects unit/preamp or both?

Thanks.
    .:My Guitar YouTube Channel:.
    .:Instagram:.
    JP15 Trans Black
    JP7 BFR Blackburst
    JP7 BFR Walnutburst

User Info Menu

There's been a lot of threads on this, good way to start is with a search!
    JP Dargie Delight Too G39071 born 9.25.09
    JP10 G49552 born on youtube? 3.24.10

My dream EBMM: a Dargie JPX with unfinished RW neck, oversized martini inlays, and Gamechanger

User Info Menu

Do the search. I moved from the TC G-System to the Axe-FX (standard) and now the Ultra. For my situation (I don't gig and something very flexible) it is perfect with great tones. Great forum over there as well.
    Last edited by bbake1; 11-10-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more
    No malice intended. Just my opinion. Take care. Bob

Trans Pink Tribute Axis - G62247 - DOB 12/9/11
    Axe-Fx II/MFC-101/Mission Engineering EP-1 & SP-1/Verve FBT 12ma's

User Info Menu

Ultra here - plays very nicely with my Axis
    My Geetars:

2009 MusicMan Axis - Natural
    2008 MusicMan Axis Super Sport - Pacific Blue Burst
    2002 Ibanez JS2000
    1991 Ibanez RG565
    1993 Fender US Tele
    1988 Fender Japan Strat
    2014 Fender Japan Richie Kotzen Stratocaster
    2016 Fender Japan Richie Kotzen Telecaster
    Takamine EAN10C
    1999 SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB325

Blue Lizard Studio

User Info Menu

You can pretty much duplicate any guitar sound you hear on a record with some tweaking. Best tube feel and touch sensitivity next to a real tube amp, but won't make your ears bleed when you crank the master volume.
    Music Man Axis Tribute
    Music Man Luke III

Fractal Audio AxeFX 3

User Info Menu

Got it. Love it.

Try it.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

I just recently picked up the new Line6 HD500 and have been putting it through it's paces. There's been alot of comparison between that and the Axe-FX. So far it's a REALLY kickin unit with alot of flexibility. I've pumped it through an old PV Classic 60 tube power amp into a Marshall 412 and it sounds great. I'm looking at picking up one of Fractal's Atomic Reactor tube wedges soon and have that as my stage setup and get rid of some of the weight on loadin..

If you're not a tweeker though, you may not like it There's not a lot of usable patches out of the box.
    Yay ME

Trans Purple EVH
    Gremlin Green Axis HH
    Trans Green Axis Sport HSS
    Mystic Dream Petrucci 6
    Emerald Green BFR JP Baritone
    20th A- Silo
    Dargie Delight Luke
    Lava Pearl Bongo 4 HH

User Info Menu

I use an Ultra with an MFC-101.
    I have Never tried a digital unit/modeler that lasted more
    than a week in my rig.

The Ultra is amazing. Love it! I've had it a year and it
    gets better and better the more I dig into it.

-dc
    "Nothing is worth more than This Day"
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"...you didn't even try. How does that Feel?"
    Buddy Revell

User Info Menu

There is a guy on Youtube that gives a mind blowing demo of it. He starts with solos from the 50s right up to present day. The thing sounds amazing to me besides the fact the guy is one hell of a player.

User Info Menu

Here's my current practice setup (except the main guitar is now a Rosewood ASS ):

Swap out the nearfield monitors for a couple of QSC powered speakers and you have my "move some air" setup.

I had to give up my Two Rock to acquire it but as much as I liked the Two Rock, there hasn't been a day that I regretted it. In fact, there hasn't been a day where I've actually used my remaining tube amps. I get consistent tone at any volume (incl. headphones) without concern for line voltage, humidity, or other gremlins that can influence tube amp tone. For a guy whose playing time often comes during Mini Me's nap time/bedtime, that's huge.

As for the need to tweak, I think it's as much a matter of self-discipline as anything else. While I may occasionally have an urge to seek out a tone that pops into my head or that I hear in a song, I don't tweak with the AxeFx any more than I did with an analog setup. Most of the time, it's turn it on, play/practice, turn it off.

It may be overkill for your needs but if you have the funds, it's worth checking out.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=aleclee;782819]

QUOTE]

BallPark cost minus the guitar and computer?

User Info Menu

What's the middle rack there?
    .:My Guitar YouTube Channel:.
    .:Instagram:.
    JP15 Trans Black
    JP7 BFR Blackburst
    JP7 BFR Walnutburst

User Info Menu

It's been out quite a while now. As with all things digital, it will be replaced soon with an Ultra II or an Extreme or whatever. I will seriously consider picking one up when the next gen unit comes out.
    The world needs more Balls!
    1995 EVH - DOB 8/25/95 - Trans Red Hardtail
    1996 Albert Lee HHH - DOB 3/8/96 - Black
    1999 Axis - DOB 3/11/99 - Natural
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette - Rosewood w/Trem - DOB 9/21/06 - Caramel Burst
    2007 Silhouette w/Piezo - DOB 7/26/07 - Desert Gold
    2007 Albert Lee - DOB 10/25/07 - Vintage Sunburst
    2009 25th Anniversary - DOB 8/13/09 - BFR Rosewood Neck - SN 001 of 25
    2010 Silhouette Special SSS - DOB 1/26/10 - Olive Gold

User Info Menu

My friend has one. It's a great unit. The real deal.

I agree with the earlier comment about being a tweaker. I'm not so much. He's had his for over a year and still can't access all the different parameters on it without whipping out his owners manual, and then sometimes can't find a way to do it. And he isn't a dumb guy.

I'm too lazy to deal with all that. I also know that I'd find my handful of favorite tones and the rest of the 1,000+ tones would go unused.

It's a great tool. A viable option for many. Not so viable for others. Do what you need to do to get where you're going.

User Info Menu

Axe-Fx Standard user here since June 2008, the thing just continues to amaze me.
    Mystic Dream BFR JP6 rosewood neck Tremel-No'd and LiquiCrunch'd
    Bogner Duende 1x12/Axe-FX Standard/Mesa Recto 2x12
    Liquid Foot Jr
    Creepy Fingers Rising Fuzz